Password

Album Review
Forever the Sickest Kids - Underdog Alma Mater Album Cover

Forever the Sickest Kids - Underdog Alma Mater

Reviewed by
Forever the Sickest Kids Underdog Alma Mater
Release Date: April 29th, 2008
Record Label: Universal Records
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
Studying for exams, trying to finally beat Zelda, and sobbing over the girl who will never like me are on the list of things that keep me up past my usual bedtime. When I first heard Underdog Alma Mater, I realized that listening to this album was going to be put on the list as well. After numerous listens, I just did not want to put it down, and I don't think I could have even if I tried. In fact, if I did, I'd probably be listening to it in my dreams. After releasing what was one of my favorite EPs from last year, Forever the Sickest Kids unleash their debut album via Universal Records and I couldn't be more satisfied. From the unreal amount of hooks to the energetic vocals, it's safe to say that this album will be in my Summer rotation all season long.

Re-recording songs are usually a hit or miss. With Underdog Alma Mater, Forever the Sickest Kids take on re-working five of the songs that have been released prior to this album, and overall, they pretty much nail most of them. The only ones I'm indifferent to would be "Believe Me, I'm Lying," which sounds watered down compared to its previous version, and "Coffee Break" which just sounds out of place and probably would have been better off as a b-side. Although, just when I thought they couldn't make "Hey Brittany" and "She's a Lady" anymore better, they manage to pack it with a harder punch that makes them irresistible.

The catchy melodies and infectious chorus' aren't even the album's high-point. The production on Underdog Alma Mater is phenomenal. With Matt Squire, a pop-producing mastermind behind the boards, it becomes obvious that not only does Forever the Sickest Kids have the ability to break through the mainstream, but completely burst through it. If any proof is needed, it's right there in "Whoa Oh! (Me Vs. Everyone)," track one and the first single off the album. The lyrics are simple and the chorus will probably be one of the most fun to sing along to all year. "That for Me" is a song with its shoes put on the wrong feet, considering its verses are its most memorable attribute, and its chorus is the part that's lacking. "The Way She Moves" is one of the stand out tracks on the album and definitely the most "boy-bandish" sounding of the rest. If released back in '99, I could totally see it taking on LFO for the number one spot on TRL. The hits keep coming though as "Uh Huh" and "Phone Call" both have qualities to make it to the top of the charts. Forever the Sickest Kids save one of the best for last as "Catastrophe" finishes off an album that's a sure-fired, sugary induced musical stomachache.

All in all, Underdog Alma Mater will most likely be people's guiltiest pleasure of the year. It's nothing but a straight-forward pop record with explosives melodies and unforgettable hooks that will be sure to make the warm weather that much more enjoyable for anyone.

Recommended If You LikeFarewell, Powerspace, Metro Station

Additional InformationTrack Listing
01) Whoa Oh! (Me Vs. Everyone)
02) Hey Brittany
03) My Worst Nightmare
04) Believe Me, I'm Lying
05) The Way She Moves
06) She's a Lady
07) Uh Huh
08) Phone Call
09) Breakdown
10) That for Me
11) Coffee Break
12) Catastrophe
Produced by: Matt Squire, Matt Mahaffey

Forever the Sickest Kids are:
Jonathan Cook - Vocals
Marc Stewart - Guitar
Caleb Turman - Guitar/vocals
Kent Garrison - Keyboards
Kyle Burns - Drums
Austin Bello - Bass/vocals

AP Profile - Myspace - - Buy

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 110
09:07 PM on 04/22/08
MyWorldEntire
COYRS
User Info.
Was not expecting that high of a score, maybe I will have to check this out...
09:08 PM on 04/22/08
Anton Djamoos
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
The single is awesome. I hope things work out for this band.
09:15 PM on 04/22/08
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
i like this album a whole lot. "Whoa Oh", "Britney", and "She's A Lady" are my specific jams. I don't know how long this affair will last, but whoo boy if i wasn't rocking to it yesterday.
09:36 PM on 04/22/08
cereal4life
User Info.
Guilty pleasure indeed! If they can challenge LFO then they must be doing something right.
09:39 PM on 04/22/08
brandnew21g
User Info.
LOVED the EP and cant wait for this to drop next week !
10:12 PM on 04/22/08
liar23
Yo
User Info.
ill check this out
10:25 PM on 04/22/08
Foxholes
messed with Texas
User Info.
More PUNK less pop. When will this trend die?

(shh too many guilty pleasures...)
02:03 AM on 04/23/08
tait
@
User Info.
guilty pleasured
02:57 AM on 04/23/08
emkvetwin
What's left of where we're from?
User Info.
"whoa oh" is ridiculously catchy. look forward to hearing more of it... sounds like i could get cavities just by listening.
03:57 AM on 04/23/08
symbiote28
Be Human
User Info.
good debut album i reckon.
05:28 AM on 04/23/08
richie
User Info.
awesome review! i thought the exact same thing about lfo!
07:35 AM on 04/23/08
Keagan Ilvonen
@KeaganIlvonen
User Info.
Glad to hear its good, I need some more pop in my life.
07:37 AM on 04/23/08
spezialk
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Their synth-ical breakdowns are too much fun.
This album came at a great time, with the weather getting warmer, the girls wearing less, and the windows being put down in the car!
Perfect summer album.
07:49 AM on 04/23/08
boykosaurus
---
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Does the N64 comment have to do with the fact that they're playing N64 on their myspace?

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos