AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Wolftron - Flesh & Fears Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.5
Musicianship 8.25
Lyrics 8.25
Production 9.25
Creativity 8.75
Lasting Value 8.5
Reviewer Tilt 9.5
Final Verdict: 87%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.
Inside AP.net

Wolftron - Flesh & Fears

Reviewed by: newfoundmichael (05/02/08)
Wolftron - Flesh & Fears
Record Label: Eyeball Records
Release Date: May 6, 2008

It has been a busy year for Eyeball Records. Staff members have been doing AP.net chats, they released volume one of their Eyeball Awareness sampler, and they recently signed established technical act An Albatross (along with many other new acts). Now releasing Wolftron’s debut album Flesh & Fears can be added to the label's checklist of accomplishments. Wolftron is the one man project started by Daphne Loves Derby’s own Kenny Choi. After one listen there was one thing I found evident: beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and in this case, Wolftron’s music beholds so much that you can’t help but get chills while listening to this album.

To call Wolftron an indie act is an understatement in the fact that each song definitely has that distinctive post-rock sound to it. Each track's instrumentals are so strong that the songs still would have made sense without Choi’s vocals. Although this statement is true, Choi still brings a melodic and lullaby-esque vocal pattern to the table that only adds to the release's dreamy sound.

The album's opener, “Crystal Skulls,” is such a strong track that it left me wondering how exactly Wolftron planned to top it with the following ten. A compelling piano dabble that consistently comes in and out of the song adds to the wistful sound of Choi’s voice. Not only is the song extremely melancholic, but its chorus is something that the listener can sing along to many days after the first listen. The following three tracks stay among those guidelines as well, but right when I thought it may be possible that the album is starting to level out, Choi shows up with the strongest track on the album. “Beautybird” is amazingly graceful in a lyrical, vocal, and instrumental sense. After “Beautybird” the album contains many more contemplative tunes that are very superior to its competitors, but occasionally run together a bit.

Staying along the lines of the positive, the production value must be noted. Choi found the perfect balance of polished, yet not overly done assembly. It is easily seen in tracks such as “Defeat of Starman” and “Uglybird” when the piano, guitar and vocals can clearly be heard without grainy distortions that so many indie acts are incorporating into their music as of late.

What Wolftron has here is a particularly wonderful release that will exceed the expectations of many. Every track on the album contains those faraway elements that play in many of our minds while we are daydreaming through work, one of our classes, or just casually staring off into space. Perhaps the best thing about Flesh & Fears is that it isn’t too over the top in any fashion. Kenny Choi has raised the bar another level in the indie/pop-rock genre. We can only hope that the competition responds accordingly.

Recommended if You LikeSufjan Stevens, Imogen Heap, Kevin Devine

myspace.com/wolftron

Displaying posts 1 - 10 of 10
12:41 AM on 05/06/08
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
just an fyi, indie and post-rock are not the same thing. And I wouldn't say this album falls into either category.
10:20 AM on 05/06/08
OKComputer1016
this is success-this is how we feel
User Info.
how do you add somebody as a friend? ive just got Greg. figure it out, then add me.
10:50 AM on 05/06/08
newfoundmichael
@SirDaveyBoy
User Info.
just an fyi, indie and post-rock are not the same thing. And I wouldn't say this album falls into either category.

I do realize that they are different genres, but I would say they are closely related. I think of stuff like Explosions in the Sky when I think of post-rock. The point I was trying to make is that this album would have still made sense without Choi's vocals because of how smooth and enjoyable the music itself was. "Indie" is such a vague genre that different people consider different things as such. What would you classify this as?
11:21 AM on 05/06/08
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
I do realize that they are different genres, but I would say they are closely related. I think of stuff like Explosions in the Sky when I think of post-rock. The point I was trying to make is that this album would have still made sense without Choi's vocals because of how smooth and enjoyable the music itself was. "Indie" is such a vague genre that different people consider different things as such. What would you classify this as?

pop-rock. I like the point you're making about the strength of the instrumentals, and I agree that indie is a woefully vague genre, but that and post-rock are still nowhere close to each other. Most post-rock bands are on indie labels. But most indie bands are not post-rock. It's still a fairly small genre.
11:23 AM on 05/06/08
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
how do you add somebody as a friend? ive just got Greg. figure it out, then add me.

Click on their name and find the button that says "Friend." It's as easy as that. :)
12:23 PM on 05/06/08
newfoundmichael
@SirDaveyBoy
User Info.
pop-rock. I like the point you're making about the strength of the instrumentals, and I agree that indie is a woefully vague genre, but that and post-rock are still nowhere close to each other. Most post-rock bands are on indie labels. But most indie bands are not post-rock. It's still a fairly small genre.

yeah I could definitely see how this would be considered pop-rock. I just find this so much better than your average pop-rock album that I feel that it should be considered something else entirely if that makes sense...that's just my view on it.
10:38 PM on 05/06/08
Adrian Villagomez
West of the World
User Info.
I just realized on closer inspection this album cover is crazy awesome.
10:40 PM on 05/11/08
deb0ner
User Info.
I never understood why side projects always sound so similar to a band's original work. Isn't the point of doing your own thing to have more "artistic freedom?" That kind of defeats the purpose of having all that freedom in the first place. Not that the music is bad or anything. I just wish there was a bigger change in direction, that's all.
09:28 PM on 05/14/08
newfoundmichael
@SirDaveyBoy
User Info.
I never understood why side projects always sound so similar to a band's original work. Isn't the point of doing your own thing to have more "artistic freedom?" That kind of defeats the purpose of having all that freedom in the first place. Not that the music is bad or anything. I just wish there was a bigger change in direction, that's all.

I definitely do agree with you. It doesn't make much sense to me either, but for some reason I really like this project and do not care too much for DLD. I know the styles are similar, but something about Wolftron is different. I notice an atmospheric tone in the solo project that I never sensed in the DLD songs that I heard.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums