Password

Album Review

Destroy the Runner - I, Lucifer Album Cover

Destroy the Runner - I, Lucifer

Reviewed by
Destroy the Runner - I, Lucifer
Record Label: Solid State / Tooth & Nail Records
Release Date: April 18, 2008
Whether intentional or not, Destroy the Runner's sophomore album shares its name with a novel from 2003 by Glen Duncan. In this novel, Satan is given a human body for one month to control. Depending on his behavior and how he treats his human body, he will be given a chance to return as an angel in heaven, or will stay eternally damned. Based on the similarities between some of the lyrics of the album, and the idea of the novel, I wouldn't hesitate to say that the album is named after this novel. The novel explores evil, and shows Satan as an actual incarnate instead of an idea, while the album seems to explore the ways that Satan can fool or influence you.

Lyrically, this album is a huge step up from the band's debut Saints. In I, Lucifer, the lyrics are straightforward, hard hitting, and clever, as opposed to the enigmatic metaphors used in their debut. In the song "Isabella's," for example, the chorus starts with the lines, "If you're drawing lines, you can get off our side / We want to be wrong / If what you say is right." Quotes like this make the album what it is.

Destroy the Runner have surpassed themselves vocally on this record. While their debut was a melodic-metal onslaught, I, Lucifer is more reminiscent of bands such as Emery or a little softer version of Blindside. You'll no longer hear the screams of Kyle Setter as he was replaced by vocalist Chad Ackerman. This is apparent from the first track on the album, "Crumbs for the Murder." One of the few tracks with any screaming, it displays part of the transformation this band has made, and it's a perfect opening track. The most notable tracks are "Isabella's" and "It's Always Cold in Paris." "Isabella's" is lyrically powerful with its catchy chorus, while "It's Always Cold in Paris" displays Destroy the Runner's new sound perfectly.

One of the noticeable things about Saints is the musicianship of the members. Their skill is also notable in I, Lucifer, however, the music sometimes doesn't seem to match up with their new vocals correctly. The most noticeable occurrences of this are in the beginnings of the songs "It's Always Cold in Paris" and "Luxuria." Both of these tracks start off with hard guitars, and "Its Always Cold in Paris” also has an accompanying double bass. While they both shift to softer melodies, a double bass is present in a large number of the songs. In "A Bag of Marbles," the entire song seems to be escalating towards a breakdown that never comes. In most of their songs, however, their strong musicianship plays satisfying roll. The album would not have been the masterpiece that it is without their technicality, but in some places it's slightly overdone.

This album is a great step for Destroy the Runner. Just like label mates Far-Less did on their last release, they've taken their sound and turned it into something far greater than what it was. I, Lucifer is a work of art lyrically, vocally, and musically. While they may not turn into something like an Underoath powerhouse, they've made themselves a place in today's scene.

Reccomended if You LikeEmery's I'm Only a Man, Chasing Victory's Fiends, Blindside's Silence

myspace.com/destroytherunner
This review is a user submitted review from Klatzke. You can see all of Klatzke's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 27
02:29 PM on 05/06/08
hailthewarrior
i know places we won't be found
User Info.
Good review, now I suppose I should track it down and listen to it, since you mentioned comparisons to Emery and Blindside.

Their first record was good to me, but seemed a lot like Haste the Day.
07:14 PM on 05/06/08
Klatzke
Don't give me no hand me down love.
User Info.
Good review, now I suppose I should track it down and listen to it, since you mentioned comparisons to Emery and Blindside.

Their first record was good to me, but seemed a lot like Haste the Day.
Don't go in expecting Emery, this is really just for lack of a better comparison. As far as the sound of vocals, its not close, but its styled similarly. However, it is an amazing record, so i'd go for it.

The first one was good, (i'm actually listening to it now, creepy). Haste the Day is a good comparison, though i liked Saints more than Pressure the Hinges.
11:36 PM on 05/06/08
Adrian Villagomez
Heading Over to See 'Bout This Girl
User Info.
That novel sounds damn interesting.
10:06 AM on 05/07/08
Klatzke
User Info.
That novel sounds damn interesting.
I know it does. Lol. I haven't actually read it, but i'd heard that the album got its name from somwhere so i did a little Wiki-Research.
10:30 AM on 05/07/08
Adrian Villagomez
Heading Over to See 'Bout This Girl
User Info.
I know it does. Lol. I haven't actually read it, but i'd heard that the album got its name from somwhere so i did a little Wiki-Research.
Research before writing is always a good thing. Props.
02:33 PM on 05/07/08
Klatzke
User Info.
Research before writing is always a good thing. Props.
Ah, thanks man.
08:08 AM on 05/08/08
im_wide_awake
Roll along you BG warriors
User Info.
This is a good CD...
11:25 AM on 05/08/08
hailthewarrior
i know places we won't be found
User Info.
Don't go in expecting Emery, this is really just for lack of a better comparison. As far as the sound of vocals, its not close, but its styled similarly. However, it is an amazing record, so i'd go for it.

The first one was good, (i'm actually listening to it now, creepy). Haste the Day is a good comparison, though i liked Saints more than Pressure the Hinges.

I listened to it and I liked it alot. And I can see the comparison but it's definitely at a distance.

Yeah, first two HTD records though owned.
04:21 PM on 05/08/08
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
i checked this out and really didn't like it. But I only did so because of your review, so good job on that front. Just too bad it stunk.
07:05 PM on 05/08/08
Klatzke
User Info.
I listened to it and I liked it alot. And I can see the comparison but it's definitely at a distance.

Yeah, first two HTD records though owned.

Mmhmm, its a good album...
I just had no idea what to do with comparisons, and emery seemed as close as any.

Isabella's gets so stuck in my head.

Quote:
i checked this out and really didn't like it. But I only did so because of your review, so good job on that front. Just too bad it stunk.

Thank you,
and
To each his own right?
08:06 PM on 05/08/08
sofriggencool
so friggen cool
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
hmm, sounds pretty interesting.
will definetly check this out
09:53 PM on 05/08/08
ender_ekg
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
thanks for the review! i like emery's last two albums and far-less' new album, I guess I should check this out!
08:20 PM on 05/11/08
LongDistanceDrunk
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
That cover work is awful. Kind of like damien from the Omen. I love joking about this bands name. Oh nevermind that is Demon Hunter. Either way they're both Christ-Core bands. Hail Jesus!
10:33 AM on 05/12/08
Klatzke
User Info.
That cover work is awful. Kind of like damien from the Omen. I love joking about this bands name. Oh nevermind that is Demon Hunter. Either way they're both Christ-Core bands. Hail Jesus!
Myself, i like the cover artwork.

And, there is a big difference between these guys and demon hunter. The old stuff was even way different.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos