Username
Password
Twitter News - Page 46
Displaying posts 675 - 690 of 694.
09:20 PM on 03/30/13
caveBEAR
( ω )
User Info.
I disagree with this. In my case, which we are specifically talking about right now, when my homosexual friends and I use it, we have the understanding that we aren't talking about sexuality. So the word is pretty powerless. Someone saying it only as synonym for jerk and then you pointing out how you believe the word shouldn't be used because it may hurt homosexuals definitely does far more to ingrain and prolong the connection.

yeah, but here's the thing dipshit - lets say someone who doesn't know you and your friends overhears you calling each other ******. you're aware that person doesn't know about your pact, and will most likely associate negativity to it, despite what your friends agreed on, right? you see why this makes you and your friends assholes, right?
09:21 PM on 03/30/13
The_Effort
User Info.
I'm beginning to feel the term "lost cause" is applicable to some people in this thread.
09:22 PM on 03/30/13
caveBEAR
( ω )
User Info.
I'm beginning to feel the term "lost cause" is applicable to some people in this thread.

still fun to call them out for being dumbfucks.
09:23 PM on 03/30/13
sosayweall
User Info.
As I already said: The problem is your attempts to extrapolate this to a universal.

Your social circle can come up with whatever pacts you'd like with each other. This does not change the realities of the rest of the world. For you and your friends the word is "powerless" -- great, that has absolutely nothing to do with virtually anything being discussed in this situation or thread. For everyone else, the word is not a synonym for jerk, and I'm repeating myself again, but the word still gets its power as a put-down from its uses in other contexts.

Do whatever you want with your friends - I don't care in the slightest - but continuing to use a word as an insult that virtually everyone else associates with a homosexual slur, absolutely propagates the idea that homosexuality itself is a slur. Again, "...people who use them might still connect them with the ‘homosexual’ sense subliminally. Phonological identity can prime semantic association." Your little pocket of the neighborhood would be in for a rude awakening if you attempted to pass this mentality off elsewhere.

...But we were specifically talking about my social circle that time.

And no. Many people do use it as something other than a derogatory term for homosexuals. Not just "my little pocket neighborhood" as you want to pretend. How are you unable to see that? When the word isn't used as a homophobic slur, it only gets its power from those who choose to be offended. I'm stating that we can and should all make the word powerless.
Oh, this quote again...Let's not even talk about how silly it is to not say words because users of the word "might", in their own head space, subconsciously make an undesirable connection to another word. Instead let me just ask you this: Do you still connect the word with old women, even though that's what it was original an insult to? What about an awkward bundle to be carried?
Lastly, I would like to say that I don't think how I use the word is wrong in the slightest. However, I'm fully aware that people don't have the same mentality as me, so I'm very considerate to other peoples sensibilities whom I am not yet acquainted with. "Your rude awakening" bit is quite scary though. Oh my.

You love to just pick one thing that I've said and then ignore what I've said in the other posts that relate to it. Don't even bother answering my questions, this is my last post to you. It's obvious that no one is going to convince the other much of anything. You took my interest and amusement of discussion as something negative, along the lines of "adamantly arguing to continue using homophobic slurs." Haha. This was entertaining at first, but watching you continue to do mental gymnastics is getting quite boring.

Edit: busted by the grammar police.
09:25 PM on 03/30/13
Jake Jenkins
https://twitter.com/jakej654
User Info.
their*
09:32 PM on 03/30/13
OctoberOrigins
Jack
User Info.
However, I'm fully aware that people don't have the same mentality as me, so I'm very considerate to other peoples sensibilities whom I am not yet acquainted with.

Your posts clearly prove otherwise.
10:17 AM on 03/31/13
Dre Okorley
User Info.
He's said what it's about ...

From the Reddit AMA:
Q: How do you feel about people using your standup as an excuse to say “******” and “******”?
Louis CK: yeah I don’t know. Ive seen that happen and it doesn’t make me really… so happy all the time. But that’s them. I did those bits as a kind of analysis of the words and what feelings they bring and how they’re used. I was playing with some fire. It was interesting. I think that the discussion of the word ****** that I did in the poker scene was a bit of an evolution. I pretty much never say ****** on stage anymore. It’s just worked it’s way into and out of my act. It’s not interesting anyomre and i”m not goign to say it just to say.

And a further comment in that same thread addressing another comment in this one:

Comment: As a black dude, I find your “******” bit hilarious, but you clearly have put thought into it and know what you’re talking about. All your race stuff is gold, really. But a lot of very dumb white boys use those bits out of context to justify calling black people ******s (they use Chris Rock’s “black people vs. ******s” bit to justify making a distinction and your bit about the coffee shop to say that if they decide the meaning is different, I shouldn’t be offended by them calling any black person they don’t like a ******).

My feelings on it are a lot like the poker scene. You’re an expert with it, and I’ll laugh when you do it because you can make it funny. But that word does bring up feelings and memories of beatdowns and parents breaking up relationships and that time the Klan tried to break into my dorm freshman year. So by all means keep doing what you do. Just keep in mind that not everyone who watches is intelligent enough not to use your intelligent and hilarious jokes as an excuse to make the lives of black people miserable.
This was interesting to read. Respect.
07:35 PM on 03/18/14
Vance Mook
Fastest Kid in School
User Info.
2013. this shit still exists in parts of the country and there still isn't a repress of 'Downward is Heavenward'

unreal. fucking unreal.
Just rereading this thread as I was scrolling through Fireworks posts, and I just need to say...A+ to this post. A-fucking-plus.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests