AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password
This Thread is Closed.

08:26 AM on 05/09/12 
User Info.
Zeran
Vampire
I don't particularly find Girls very good, but I more fall into this camp when people call it racist.
Girls isn't racist, TV is
i agree that it's kind of stupid to have a show take place in nyc and have absolutely no non-white characters...i mean, it's the most diverse city in the world.

but (and this is not what they meant, i don't think) that's the point of the show - these chicks live in a little rich, white kid bubble where they don't interact or do the same things as the people around them.
10:27 AM on 05/09/12 
User Info.
crackedthesky
cause when I fly solo I fly so high
Gladstone, MO
Male - 26 Years Old
well, one recent one that comes to mind seemed completely harmless except for the fact that the entire thing just showed african americans going ga-ga over fried chicken.

Yeah, but they have commercials where white people do that too. They're selling a product, of course they're going to show people going gaga over it. I think if KFC instead decided to never feature black people in their commercials just to avoid a stereotype, that would be way more racist than showing black people enjoying fried chicken every now and then.
04:00 PM on 05/09/12 
User Info.
oakhurst
Faith, Love, Hope
Male - 22 Years Old
"If you want to end racism, just stop talking about it. I do not want your Black history month. White people do not have a history month." -Morgan Freeman

/thread
04:55 PM on 05/09/12 
User Info.
plyb
true progress
Male - 25 Years Old
"If you want to end racism, just stop talking about it. I do not want your Black history month. White people do not have a history month." -Morgan Freeman

/thread
Already posted awhile ago, did not end the thread then, I doubt it will now. You can look back in the thread when it was posted and see why. I believe it was Feb. at some point.
05:02 PM on 05/09/12 
User Info.
oakhurst
Faith, Love, Hope
Male - 22 Years Old
Already posted awhile ago, did not end the thread then, I doubt it will now. You can look back in the thread when it was posted and see why. I believe it was Feb. at some point.

I just meant that this one quote points out that this thread should have never been made. If we want to stop racism then making a thread to share stories about it is not the way to go.
05:30 PM on 05/09/12 
User Info.
plyb
true progress
Male - 25 Years Old
I just meant that this one quote points out that this thread should have never been made. If we want to stop racism then making a thread to share stories about it is not the way to go.
And my post was to reference to posters providing reasons why this isn't true.
06:17 PM on 05/09/12 
User Info.
Mr. November
I won't fuck us over.
Windsor, OH
Male
i never knew that ignoring something makes it go away

Also you used that quote out of context, which everyone does. If you watch the interview that quote is from he doesn't want a black history month because he doesn't want his history to only be remembered during that one month. When he said don't talk about racism, he didn't mean ignore it, but rather that more people need to see each other as more then "black people" and "white people" and break down barriers and stereotypes that people have held for ages and start to move forward together.
06:18 PM on 05/09/12 
User Info.
Zeran
Vampire
Yeah, but they have commercials where white people do that too. They're selling a product, of course they're going to show people going gaga over it. I think if KFC instead decided to never feature black people in their commercials just to avoid a stereotype, that would be way more racist than showing black people enjoying fried chicken every now and then.
i meant more to emphasize the fact that the commercial featured only african americans and no other races.
06:29 PM on 05/09/12 
User Info.
oakhurst
Faith, Love, Hope
Male - 22 Years Old
i never knew that ignoring something makes it go away

Leaving it in the past makes it go away, genius.
06:33 PM on 05/09/12 
User Info.
Mr. November
I won't fuck us over.
Windsor, OH
Male
Leaving it in the past makes it go away, genius.

see my edit

oh and ignoring something does not make it go away, pretty sure that's willful ignorance .
06:36 PM on 05/09/12 
User Info.
Theseventhson
NY
Male - 22 Years Old
Guys if I don't see it happening then it's not really happening.
06:48 PM on 05/09/12 
User Info.
KingsCrossing
What are you waiting for?
Queens, NY
Male
I don't particularly find Girls very good, but I more fall into this camp when people call it racist.
Girls isn't racist, TV is

I haven't been following the whole Girls hub-bub too much, but I can't say I really agree with that article on a few points. No doubt a lot of TV is racist/sexist, and yes, more consistent attention should be paid towards that. However it seems one of the reasons people are still harping on this particular program may be due to incidents like these:

Quote:
As justice-minded folks have critiqued HBO’s ‘Girls’ for its lily-white representation of New York City, the pushback to the pushback has gotten ugly fast — whether it’s show story editor Lesley Arfin making jokes about Precious, or Vice founder (and old-school hipster racist) Gavin McInnes knowingly throwing the word ‘lynching’ around.

Also I'm not sure blaming HBO is really the answer either considering some of the other shows they've broadcasted that have directly encountered the issue of race in an intelligent/engaging framework (e.g. The Wire, Oz, Treme).
07:52 PM on 05/09/12 
User Info.
plyb
true progress
Male - 25 Years Old
I haven't been following the whole Girls hub-bub too much, but I can't say I really agree with that article on a few points. No doubt a lot of TV is racist/sexist, and yes, more consistent attention should be paid towards that. However it seems one of the reasons people are still harping on this particular program may be due to incidents like these:

Also I'm not sure blaming HBO is really the answer either considering some of the other shows they've broadcasted that have directly encountered the issue of race in an intelligent/engaging framework (e.g. The Wire, Oz, Treme).
I'll be the first to admit I haven't been following it too closely either. The responses themselves are ugly (at least, how they are presented in your quote, I haven't seen the actual responses), but it does not make the show itself more or less racist.

As for putting the blame on HBO, I don't think that is the point. I think the point is out of all the TV that we see everyday, why did Girls attract such a reaction, when a multitude of shows fit the same archetype. I don't argue this is a systemic problem; but it is one one unique to Girls, so I don't feel particularly motivated to blame on Girls.
09:44 PM on 05/09/12 
User Info.
crackedthesky
cause when I fly solo I fly so high
Gladstone, MO
Male - 26 Years Old
i meant more to emphasize the fact that the commercial featured only african americans and no other races.

Well if it just shows one family it kind of makes sense but I guess I'd have to see the commercial.
04:41 AM on 05/10/12 
User Info.
Ryan Dennehy
Staff Member
Guys we ignored the holocaust for a few years and that went away just fine

/godwinslaw

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles