AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

04:25 AM on 05/27/15 
User Info.
richter915
@Richter915
Male - 29 Years Old
how do you find the time to post on absolutepunk?
mobile technology mostly. There's a surprising amount of downtime. Right now, I'm sitting in a boring clinical conference that's not worth listening to haha. Admittedly, I'm not studying as much as I should, but I do enough to get by.
04:13 AM on 05/28/15 
User Info.
Zeran
Vampire
mobile technology mostly. There's a surprising amount of downtime. Right now, I'm sitting in a boring clinical conference that's not worth listening to haha. Admittedly, I'm not studying as much as I should, but I do enough to get by.
i did not take advantage of that enough in grad school, haha. mostly because i was too poor to own a good phone
02:33 PM on 06/03/15 
User Info.
David87
That guy
Delaware
Male
Can anyone give me a good, layman's description of the difference between a Public Policy program vs. a Public Administration program vs. a Political Science program?

The one I'm most confused about is the Public Admin one....All the descriptions are always too ensjbvfsb for me. So can anyone here lay out what exactly it is I'd be learning about doing in a Public Administration program?
02:45 PM on 06/03/15 
User Info.
Jake Gyllenhaal
Troll the Respawn Jeremy
Connecticut
Male
Can anyone give me a good, layman's description of the difference between a Public Policy program vs. a Public Administration program vs. a Political Science program?

The one I'm most confused about is the Public Admin one....All the descriptions are always too ensjbvfsb for me. So can anyone here lay out what exactly it is I'd be learning about doing in a Public Administration program?

Public Administration sounds like operating municipal government at the local and state level where public policy focuses on government legislation
03:37 PM on 06/03/15 
User Info.
4Who4What
Go Dawgs
Auburn, WA
Male - 30 Years Old

I just finished my MPA a few weeks back....It was a mish mash of various Governmental concepts/programs. I took courses in government organizational changes & development, organizational behavior, finance/government fiscal responsibility and then some courses in various topics such as human resources, CIS for Public Administrators, and some Homeland Security courses.

I already work in the public sector so that is what initially led me into this program and looking back on it now, I'm glad I did it but I did leave feeling a bit underwhelmed in that I didn't necessarily feel that much more ready in any particular field due to things being really spread out in terms of learning concepts. It's a good program if you know you want to be in the public sector in some facet but maybe you're just not 100% sure where exactly that is yet.

I work in Immigration right now but I'm not sure I want to do this forever (in fact, I'm almost certain that I don't) so it was good for me in that it'll allow me to explore a bit and eventually fall into something that works for me. Hope this helps a little bit in terms of MPA knowledge, I don't know much about the other two.
04:56 PM on 06/03/15 
User Info.
David87
That guy
Delaware
Male
I just finished my MPA a few weeks back....It was a mish mash of various Governmental concepts/programs. I took courses in government organizational changes & development, organizational behavior, finance/government fiscal responsibility and then some courses in various topics such as human resources, CIS for Public Administrators, and some Homeland Security courses.

I already work in the public sector so that is what initially led me into this program and looking back on it now, I'm glad I did it but I did leave feeling a bit underwhelmed in that I didn't necessarily feel that much more ready in any particular field due to things being really spread out in terms of learning concepts. It's a good program if you know you want to be in the public sector in some facet but maybe you're just not 100% sure where exactly that is yet.

I work in Immigration right now but I'm not sure I want to do this forever (in fact, I'm almost certain that I don't) so it was good for me in that it'll allow me to explore a bit and eventually fall into something that works for me. Hope this helps a little bit in terms of MPA knowledge, I don't know much about the other two.

Thanks for the info. When you say "government organization changes and development", what exactly does that mean? It seems like such a broad title that I can never really get what these classes are really about haha.

I'd really like to get a masters in public policy or some sort of specific policy issue, but unfortunately none of those seems to be close by and I'm not willing to move. So most of my options are MPA or PoliSci.
10:05 PM on 06/03/15 
User Info.
4Who4What
Go Dawgs
Auburn, WA
Male - 30 Years Old
Thanks for the info. When you say "government organization changes and development", what exactly does that mean? It seems like such a broad title that I can never really get what these classes are really about haha.

I'd really like to get a masters in public policy or some sort of specific policy issue, but unfortunately none of those seems to be close by and I'm not willing to move. So most of my options are MPA or PoliSci.

Well that course specifically was a lot of scenario based situations which required different levels of analysis and applications of different ideologies to correct the course of action that was took and why you took that action. It really was just a lot of "what would you do" type of stuff which was interesting to see the varied opinions of your classmates which is where I learned the most from the course just by seeing the varied responses.

But like you, I had the same issue with a lot of the courses having such a general name that you couldn't get real into what you'd be doing until the course starts and you look over the syllabus which is a bit frustrating. I did take a number of courses that were very specific on the topics covered (i.e. Labor & Employment Law, Disaster Communication, etc.) but others were very broad.
03:33 PM on 06/04/15 
User Info.
Zeran
Vampire
from some of my friends who have mpp/mpa degrees, there's not a huge amount of difference between the two, usually. it seems to me that, anecdotally, the mpa is more about government management and bureaucratic competency (think program management/analysis, etc) while the mpp is geared more towards understanding policy and legislation (analysis, structural factors, cost-benefits, etc).

but there's also a lot of overlap between mpp and mpa programs

i'm not 100% sure, but i think a degree in political science is really only practical if you want to teach political science.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos