Username
Password
Recommended News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Recommended
Inside AP.net

Staff Recommendations (12/11/05)

Posted by: Caleb Cattivera (12/11/05)
Caleb- I've only listened to one band all week(seriously). You should go check out Decapulet. They're feel good indie/folk music from Arizona.

Darren - I've got a few recommendations that you can check out right here.

Scott - Listen to Of Montreal.

Pat - Click here for rad music recs.

Garett: Rocky Votolato... review to follow.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 66
10:11 AM on 12/11/05
fugitive_alien
Le Man
User Info.
meh, they sound super generic indie to me.
10:13 AM on 12/11/05
StartingLine182
Stay What You Are
User Info.
I think they sound like The Format. They are pretty good though.
10:14 AM on 12/11/05
Jerm
User Info.
ill give them a try
10:17 AM on 12/11/05
IcedOpethBlind
105 OVR, 99 PMV, 98 BSHD, 97 TCKL
User Info.
I was actually repping these guys to friends the other day. I really like "Paradigm" and "Graduation". Good choice.
10:21 AM on 12/11/05
Salomonbz90
Public Sphere>Special Interest
User Info.
Originally Posted by StartingLine182
I think they sound like The Format. They are pretty good though.
i love The Format...
10:29 AM on 12/11/05
LPMagic
Everybody! Everybody!
User Info.
LPMagic's Recommendations

Clap Your Hands Say Yeah (Indie / Rock)
Their self titled, self released album is in my Top 3 albums for 2005, it’s that good. The only breaking factor on you loving them or hating them is the vocals. All I ask is that you go to their official website here and download “Over and Over Again (Lost and Found)” which can be found on the right side of the page. The album really blends together perfectly with just the right amount of indie rock and roll mixed with a journey of straight up good music. Also, check them out on their TV debut later this week – Late Night with Conan O’Brien on Friday night.

Death Cab for Cutie (Indie / Rock)
You’re living under a rock if you haven’t already listened to this band. The real reason I’m recommending them is because Barsuk Records has a great holiday deal going on right now: All of their pre-Plans CD releases for $72! Five full lengths and three EPs, check it out here.

Electric President (Indie / Electronic)
This band is the reason I wanted to do my first recommendations at all. You heard it here first: Think Death Cab for Cutie meets The Postal Service with the tempo of The American Analog Set. It’s just amazing and, I don’t know about you guys, but seems to be the perfect band for me. Please, do yourself a favor and check out “Good Morning, Hypocrite” and “Ten Thousand Lines” here. Their debut, self titled album is being released on January 24th, mark it down!

Headphones (Indie / Electronic)
While we’re on the subject of great electronic music, make like Horatio Sans did and check these guys out. Dark, moody, beep-beep music for your late night battle with your… headphones. That’s really all you need to know.

Jupiter Sunrise (Pop / Rock)
I had to recommend SOMETHING outside of indie right? Out of all of the bands I saw in 2005, Jupiter Sunrise was the most surprisingly awesome performance, and the guys and gal in the band are the most down to Earth people. Definitely check out their live show if you get a chance and if you’re looking for a solid album worth checking out, listen to their “Under the Killer Blue Sky” album. To learn more, go here.

The Elected (Indie / Acoustic)
The Rilo Kiley family has two side project releases coming out on January 24 (the same day Electric President comes out too, what a great day for music). The first one that comes to mind is probably Jenny Lewis’ album with The Watson Twins – most notable for a song that features both Ben Gibbard and Conor Oberst. But the better project is really Blake Sennett’s The Elected. If you’re into soft, acoustic rock with soothing yet emotional vocals (but don’t want to cross too much into the country music sound) this band is for you. If you don’t want to wait until January 24 to check them out, you can pick up their 2004 album, “Me First “, and if you’re cheap like me, you can still download two great songs from it here.

That's my first set of recs on AP.net, I hope you enjoyed them, feedback always welcome.

- Jeff
10:29 AM on 12/11/05
Adeniz19
whikawhikawhaaat
User Info.
wheres the rest of the recs?
10:35 AM on 12/11/05
FeynmanWannabe
Take Ecstasy With Me
User Info.
Thursday: I broke out my Thursday cd's this weekend and was reminded that no one in this scene hits me as hard as Thursday. Geoff's lyrics are far and away my favorite from any typical ap.net band. I can't describe to you how excited I am for their release.

Joanna Newsom: I listened to Milk-Eyed Mender for the first time in a few weeks yesterday and it was so good that I did it again today. I enjoyed it so much that I made her my avatar. :)She's a wonderful storyteller with a...unique voice, which somehow only seems to add to her songs. She's been praised Will Oldham (Bonnie 'Prince' Billy, Palace Music, etc) for her storytelling abilities and he couldn't be more correct. Plus how many people can pull off playing a harp? Go listen now.

Thrice: I finally coughed up the cash for their new album (the order for which took forever to arrive) and while I was initially a bit disappointed it started to grow on me. Right now, it's enjoyable but we'll see where this one goes.

Fruit Bats: I recommend "Mouthfuls" and would probably do the same for their newest disc if I had it, but alas I'm broke. Wonderful Sub Pop band that's reminds me a little of a more folky slightly-less upbeat and immediately catchy Beach Boys. Oh just go listen, I'm no good at comparison.

Denison Witmer: His latest cd "Are You A Dreamer?" (out on Milita Group) will end up somewhere in my Top 20 for the year, fairly high too. Beautiful voice and soft acoustic strumming make for a pleasant listening experience, although it is by no means background music. He also varies things enough to keep things pretty interesting. I hate doing this, but it might be the only way to get some people to listen to the cd: Sufjan Stevens helps out on a couple tracks, both instrumentally and I think a little vocally, too.

Pink Floyd: Wish You Were Here. I don't need to say anything else.

That's all I have for this week. Finals will soon me taking me over. Wish me luck.

.Marco
10:38 AM on 12/11/05
FeynmanWannabe
Take Ecstasy With Me
User Info.
Originally Posted by LPMagic
LPMagic's Recommendations
That's my first set of recs on AP.net, I hope you enjoyed them, feedback always welcome.
- Jeff

Great set of recommendations. The Elected were recommended last week and once again I didn't get around to listening to them, but I'm downloading those 2 tracks now. I'll check out Elected President, too. Good job. :thumbsup:
10:41 AM on 12/11/05
LPMagic
Everybody! Everybody!
User Info.
Originally Posted by FeynmanWannabe
Great set of recommendations. The Elected were recommended last week and once again I didn't get around to listening to them, but I'm downloading those 2 tracks now. I'll check out Elected President, too. Good job. :thumbsup:
Thanks! :)

It's interesting to note that Blake Sennett was on "Salute Your Shorts" and "Boy Meets World", two excellent shows from a lot of our childhoods.

Oh, and thanks for checking out Electric President, I'm serious guys, check them out!

- Jeff
10:44 AM on 12/11/05
Cocky Caucasion
Attention Whore
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Broken Social Scene
Cap'n Jazz
My Bloody Valentine
10:45 AM on 12/11/05
FeynmanWannabe
Take Ecstasy With Me
User Info.
Yeah, I knew that. I never watched Salute Your Shorts, but I was a Boy Meets World fan. Who could forget him? :bigsmile:
10:47 AM on 12/11/05
romantic rights
User Info.
Originally Posted by Adeniz19
wheres the rest of the recs?

Too early in the day for them?
10:47 AM on 12/11/05
LPMagic
Everybody! Everybody!
User Info.
Originally Posted by FeynmanWannabe
Yeah, I knew that. I never watched Salute Your Shorts, but I was a Boy Meets World fan. Who could forget him? :bigsmile:
I always picture him saying "Hey Frankie" in that deep, almost New York-style voice haha...

- Jeff
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums