AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Spinlight City - Agree to Disagree Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8
Musicianship 7.5
Lyrics 6.25
Production 8
Creativity 7
Lasting Value 9
Reviewer Tilt 7.25
Final Verdict: 76%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.

Spinlight City - Agree to Disagree

Reviewed by: Mirrorsandfevers (05/21/09)
Spinlight City - Agree to Disagree
Record Label : None
Release Date : March 1, 2009

Who?
Spinlight City are a alternative pop-punk band from Miami, Florida. Before you write them off, they are unlike many bands around these days, even unsigned. Spinlight City are without silly gimmicks -- no neon colors, auto-tuning, or covering a current Top 40 hit to get attention. They've been around for about three years now, and have even played a hand full of Warped Tour stops in Florida. They have a large following going for them, and with over 500,000 plays on Myspace alone, they certainly one of Florida's biggest local acts.

How is it?

Before I decided to listen to this EP, I never really listened to Spinlight City. I've heard about them, and maybe listened to a song on Youtube, but never really gave them the chance. I'm glad I did. This EP, Agree to Disagree, is too good to be an EP. It's catchy and addicting. It's really one of those EPs where you wish there were just one or two more songs to tide you over. Luckily, the band does have more to their catalog.

Kickin' it with an oldie, the album starts with "Let Me In." The song is quick and hard. Usually a band of this genre doesn't make a song like this as an opener. Think "There's No 'I' in Team" from Taking Back Sunday as the start to Tell All Your Friends. The song is definitely good, but it doesn't fit as an opener. Dealing with the age old question, whether or not girls are playing games with your head on purpose or not, "Crazy" is the closest the album comes to a ballad. The verses are fast, while the chorus breaks into half-time. Girls could swoon over this song. The vocals really drive this song into a, bare with me here, "chanter." The production of James Paul Wisner (Underoath, Paramore, etc.) really shows on this track, as the main riff shines through the music and the drums captivate the sound.

"Beauty in Silence" is most likely my least favorite on the record. The wordy chorus and the odd nu-metal-like beginning don't fit with what the first two songs established. It just doesn't hit me. It's like a bad Fall Out Boy Infinity on High-era B-Side.

The next, and best, song is "Agree to Disagree." Again, the vocal delivery and guitars are some of the catchiest I've heard this year: "Love like you've never been hurt before/Cause I've got a heart that disagrees." Though the chorus is a bit cliche, it can hit anyone with a heart, no pun intended. "Agree to Disagree" is a real radio-hit.

The final song, "Hey Tell 'em Hey", picks up where "Agree" left off, catchy and poppy as much as you can imagine, grabbing the attention of anyone listening. It's very Summer anthem-like which causes it to be an instant favorite among anyone, as Summer approaches us all.

With a little rearranging of the songs, and better lyrical content (but it's this genre, so it's nothing major) this EP could be a staple for this year. Overall, the album is definitely what it wants to be fun, heard, and sung aloud with.

Recommended If You LikeThe Academy Is...Almost Here; Valencia; Cartel

Check out Spinlight City on Myspace.

Displaying posts 1 - 4 of 4.
10:37 PM on 06/01/09
S9Dallasoz
Knows the words to 'Bye Bye Bye'
User Info.
Consistent & strong EP.
06:42 PM on 06/06/09
beth danger
It's a bird! It walked on my pillow
User Info.
"no neon colors, auto-tuning, or covering a current Top 40 hit to get attention."

So I liked your review and went to check out their Myspace... Definitely a cover of "Blame it on the Alcohol" posted. Bad timing, for sure.

Other than that though, solid band, and I'm glad I checked them out.
10:31 PM on 06/06/09
Mirrorsandfevers
www.BasedOnNothing.net
User Info.
"no neon colors, auto-tuning, or covering a current Top 40 hit to get attention."

So I liked your review and went to check out their Myspace... Definitely a cover of "Blame it on the Alcohol" posted. Bad timing, for sure.

Other than that though, solid band, and I'm glad I checked them out.
Yeah I know. As soon as I submitted this review they decided to post that. Irony at it's finest.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS