AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Chemical Vocation - A Misfit In Progress Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.75
Musicianship 9
Lyrics 7.75
Production 8
Creativity 8
Lasting Value 8.5
Reviewer Tilt 9.5
Final Verdict: 85%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.
Inside AP.net

Chemical Vocation - A Misfit In Progress

Reviewed by: <@Drawde> (06/19/09)
Chemical Vocation - A Misfit In Progress
Record Label: Panic & Action
Release Date: September 24, 2008

The current "emo" genre is of course bloated by several talentless bands jumping on the bandwagon, each looking for a fast track to fame. Thus, when I first listened to this album I was not expecting much, maybe a solitary good song if I was lucky. However, when I had finished listening to the album, I was far more impressed by this Swedish five-piece than several of their contemporaries who have gained far more fame.

Throwing us straight into the bands style on the first track is "Pencils And Papers", a song with an excellent intro that sets a good tone for the rest of the album. The ability shown by the band is excellent, with excellent guitar work, and good drumming to create a good feeling for the rest if the album. Pierre Larsson, the lead singer, sounds quite like Craig Owens of Chiodos, only with more reach and power.

The use of two clean vocalists on this record works very well, shown on the title track. The backing singer has a tendency to sound a tad bland if overused, but fortunately that mistake is not made. The band behind the vocals are excellent, creating a feeling that they really do feel passionate about what they do, that they are completely loving what they're doing. The prevailing theme is on relationships, but it is presented in such a way that you can't help but feel uplifted by it.

The worst part of the album must be the lyrics. Despite their Swedish origin, they do very well with English, yet the lyrics are often cliched and completely unoriginal. The same themes can and will be repeated, resulting in a feeling that this band needs to expand its themes. However, despite the cliched lyrics, they are very well written for what they are portraying and only knock this album down slightly.

The style of this band will not be for everyone, as they are a fairly stereotypical screamo band. However, they do it in such a way that several other bands of the same variety are left by the wayside. Even if you don't like this sort of music I would recommend trying A Misfit in Progress, as Chemical Vocation have the ability to be huge.

Edit: I have since begun to love the backing vocals, and now consider them an excellent part of this bands sound.

Recommended If You LikeChiodos, Taking Back Sunday, Saosin

www.myspace.com/chemicalvocation

Displaying posts 1 - 5 of 5
04:24 PM on 06/26/09
chelseaxsmilexD
AP.net's official punching bag
User Info.
you know you should actually rate the album... like put the scores in...
05:41 AM on 06/28/09
<@Drawde>
Waffleman Extraordinaire
User Info.
Scores added - forgot them, sorry about that.
03:35 PM on 06/29/09
chelseaxsmilexD
AP.net's official punching bag
User Info.
Scores added - forgot them, sorry about that.
its okay... you gave it a great score by the way,.... i agree completely....
07:41 AM on 06/30/09
<@Drawde>
Waffleman Extraordinaire
User Info.
Yeah, I found the band on a Various Artsists CD called "Burn All The Small Towns". There's some real crap on there, but good stuff like Chemical Vocation, Marissa Burns Trey, and Adept evened it out nicely.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums