Username
Password
AP.net Related News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
AP.net Related
Inside AP.net

Discussion Question: Re-Releases and Re-Issues

Posted by: Jared Kaufman (02/16/06)
There's been a lot of discussion throughout the boards as of late about albums that get re-issued and re-released. Some of the time it's the label's doing, and not the band's; some bands have even been mute on their album when it's re-released and you can't find them make mention of it anywhere (website, MySpace, newsletters, etc.) because they don't agree with it. How do you feel about a label taking a band's music, which is their art just as much as an artist's painting is theirs, and tampering with it in order to make some extra money, especially when it's against their will?

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 69
10:52 AM on 02/16/06
shermanology
Dubnium
User Info.
The artist in me thinks its bullshit, but the business man in me realizes its a necessity. No matter what people say, the music industry is still an industry. No matter how many times you hear "its about the music", its still a business. Doing things purely for the sake of art is fine and dandy, but it costs money. Money that most bands don't have.
IcedOpethBlind
105 OVR, 99 PMV, 98 BSHD, 97 TCKL
User Info.
sometimes there's some true extra goodies and i'm willing to shell out the cash for a reissue. i honestly dont really mind.

whoopity doo. if you dont want something that you think is "tampered" then just buy or stick with the original.
Imtheotherguy
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Id do it to get some of that $
10:53 AM on 02/16/06
jamaisentendu
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I think it's wrong and only pushes back the release of the bands next album. But as wrong as it is, thats what comes with signing to a major label or not knowing the ins and outs of your contract. Most of the time, the re-releases are mediocre at best.
10:53 AM on 02/16/06
bones jones
'rrhea
User Info.
fuck that noize.
10:54 AM on 02/16/06
Gabe Gross
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
it is a chance for bands (and labels) to make a little more quid but int he case of Underoath's re-release of TOCS, I do agree with it. The album had previously unreleased tracks and remixed renditions with a dvd showcasing their personalities. This I like as a fan.

As far as other labels dong it to try and give their promotions department another chance to prove themselves, it's rather annoying. And it sucks because its all about the quid and seeing how much more can be squeezed out of the product. Oh well. What do others think?
10:55 AM on 02/16/06
drivingthru
User Info.
well for me to spend extra money on a re-issue it has to come with something good. for example the underoath re-issue, new artwork, dvd and a few demos which i always like. for that re-issue it was worth it.
10:55 AM on 02/16/06
bigmike
...is "big" and "mike"
User Info.
Originally Posted by shermanology
The artist in me thinks its bullshit, but the business man in me realizes its a necessity. No matter what people say, the music industry is still an industry. No matter how many times you hear "its about the music", its still a business. Doing things purely for the sake of art is fine and dandy, but it costs money. Money that most bands don't have.
that basically sums up my point of view on this.
10:56 AM on 02/16/06
MusicOrMisery
User Info.
Labels should respect the bands wishes. Full stop. However, sometimes its nicer because you get extra recordings, or demos, or DVD footage, which is a nice addition to the album. However if this is against the wishes of the band, I think the label should respect that.
10:56 AM on 02/16/06
albatrossxivy
asdfg
User Info.
they re-release them for other reasons also...
i.e: to get them in more stores

when mae released the last album they where not as big as they are right now so lots of stores did not pick up copies of the cd...now they can re-release it and give everyone who missed out or is just getting into the band a chance to pick a copy up.

with other bands its a joke...such as fob whose cd you can pick up at your local gas station...let alone every music store in the country.
10:57 AM on 02/16/06
zeketheplmbr
erection selection
User Info.
It's straight up bullshit.
10:57 AM on 02/16/06
pretty_in_punk3
Calm Before The Storm
User Info.
Originally Posted by shermanology

couldn't have said it better myself.

but i really hate re-releases/issues...i think that the band or label should just put out a new release (i.e. an EP, or a DVD or something)
10:58 AM on 02/16/06
Hidenothing27
User Info.
I think it has its positve points and negative.. like with the new mae.. there will be new songs,artwork and video... but with TBS and early november that was just stupid no incentive what so ever
10:58 AM on 02/16/06
Broken4EverMore
I used to be 20
User Info.
Originally Posted by jamaisentendu
I think it's wrong and only pushes back the release of the bands next album. But as wrong as it is, thats what comes with signing to a major label or not knowing the ins and outs of your contract. Most of the time, the re-releases are mediocre at best.
I totally agree... I am however for it if it is like a "classic album" a long time ago. Like five or ten years from now would be great... but not a year later
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests