Username
Password
AP.net Related News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
AP.net Related
Inside AP.net

Weekly Nostalgia: The Anniversary

Posted by: Gregory Robson (07/15/09)
If only life could be more like the summer of 2001. Remember that? We weren't at war, the first Shrek movie was released and Lawrence, KS The Anniversary had just released their shimmering sophomore album Your Majesty. Whether it was the Midwestern work ethic or simply an innate ability to write solid songs, The Anniversary possessed a Byrdsian quality that blended well with the DIY emo ethic. Led by the one-two punch Josh Berwanger and Justin Roelefs, the Jayhawk quintet were everything that was great about music. Understated melodies, dual vocalists, pretty female vocals, snarky guitars and a fair share of keyboards, flair and stage presence. If you were a fan back when they were making music -- we'd love to hear from you as you break out the tunes and discuss the band in the replies.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 93
05:01 AM on 07/15/09
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
Sweet Marie

All Things Ordinary

The Goods Myspace
Amazon
05:09 AM on 07/15/09
LikeAnAvalanche
User Info.
MY NAMES RANDY, AND THIS HERE'S CARL THE DP.

Love the band, terrible music video actors, haha
05:38 AM on 07/15/09
Jacktheskipper
Coffeebreath & Heartache
User Info.
I liked the first full length a little better but this band was awesome ... how unbelievably good "All Things Ordinary" still is ... most bands really popular right now will probably never write a song half as good as this one ...
05:44 AM on 07/15/09
etomicsean
Lannen Fall / Sean - Manager
User Info.
Designing A Nervous Breakdown is flawless. This album will forever be in my top 10. One of my all time favorite shows. The Anniversary and Dashboard Confessional opening for Hey Mercedes at a college in Worcester, MA. And The Anniversary and Superdrag touring in support of their split CD with Mates of State opening.

Ah to go back to a time when music was just...THAT good.
05:44 AM on 07/15/09
reveriecowboy
Micallison
User Info.
Ah, no way, man. Your Majesty >> Designing a Nervous Breakdown.

Their sound gets so much more interesting on Your Majesty. Dark indie rock vs. the typical MOOG-centered emo of Designing a Nervous Breakdown. I'll take the former. And Modest Mouse totally swipes the intro to "The Siren Sings" for one of their tracks on Good News For People Who Love Bad News.
05:53 AM on 07/15/09
justballz
User Info.
As good as their first release still as, they really started to shine in the second.each release has some stellar tracks.

Didn't they announce a reunion tour in January this year or did I make that up?

Imo the best track of theirs came on the vagrant records sampler "another year on the streets", it think it was called "I believe the reign of terror" or something like that. That song is just flat out awesome! Nothing could be put out today with boy/girl lyrics could to this band.

It's funny I used to have such a huge crush on the girl bc of her voice, though I can't say I have seen a picture of her LOL

Designing a nervous breakdown was one of the first cds I had to "hunt" for. Took me like 3 malls and a variety of stores to find the only copy which I bought at a best buy. When I left the store I opened the cd and it was cracked in half ad when I walked back in to take it back they would not accept it bc it was opened, those bastards! To think now there is iTunes/amazon and pretty good distribution for most labels in stores like best buy/target/borders etc...

Awesome band, check em out
06:15 AM on 07/15/09
theboohi
User Info.
My first show ever was The Get Up Kids with The Anniversary and The Appleseed Cast opening. I have been to hundreds of shows since, but that one kicked the whole thing off. I'll always have fond memories of this band as a result.
06:17 AM on 07/15/09
burn44e
User Info.
Saw The Anniversary open for Joan of Arc in Toledo OH at Frankies circa 2001. Show was amazing. Less than 75 people at a small dive bar. The type of show youll always remember. I talked with the guys in the band after the show and they were all really cool. Had them sign this limited edition lithograph thing they were selling. Only dissapointment was the keyboardist/vocalist chick never came out afterwards...there was something strangely sexual about her. Which I heard she was the reason the band broke up ultimatley. (Not sure how true that is) She also got with someone in the Get up Kids??...ohhh the rumor mill!!
Regardless both Designing a Nevous Breakdown and Your Majesty still get played regularly by me. LOVE D in DETROIT!
06:20 AM on 07/15/09
nickstetina
User Info.
I do enjoy 'Your Majesty'.

Has there already been a weekly nostalgia for Acceptance?

EDIT: Okay, yeah. It was the second establishment of weekly nostalgia. I just busted out Phantoms again recently. I blows my mind they didn't blow up from that album.
06:20 AM on 07/15/09
Domenic182
probably been here longer than you
User Info.
Dear Dad, I'm having trouble feeling sad
06:25 AM on 07/15/09
Keagan Ilvonen
@KeaganIlvonen
User Info.
Fucking love this band.
06:28 AM on 07/15/09
goodarmcindy
I've hated airports ever since...
User Info.
Sweet Marie was on a Vagrant sampler I had, I haven't heard that song in ages.
06:44 AM on 07/15/09
RedWineSheets
www.myspace.com/ryangustafsonmusic
User Info.
"she was a castaway from New Orleans"
06:55 AM on 07/15/09
boysandbulletsx
Just jammin' on the glockenspiel
User Info.
Hahahaaa, remember The Anniversary in Emo Game?
I always appreciated the fact that they had a girl in their band.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests