AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Sights and Sounds - Monolith Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 9.5
Musicianship 9
Lyrics 9
Production 9
Creativity 9
Lasting Value 9.25
Reviewer Tilt 10
Final Verdict: 93%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.
Inside AP.net

Sights and Sounds - Monolith

Reviewed by: Shaned (07/30/09)
Sights and Sounds - Monolith
Record Label - Smallman Records
Release Date: May 26, 2009

Until this May, I had no idea who Sights and Sounds were. While I was browsing the local HMV music store, I came across this gem nestled in the store's fairly small "punk" section. After giving it a short listen and taking it home with me, I was completely blown away by this new band, but where had I heard this singer before? As it turns out Sights and Sounds is a side project from Andrew Neufeld and company, of Comeback Kid/Sick City fame. Monolith is the result of their first LP efforts. The CD is a refreshing breath of air in a sea of mediocre new bands that keep springing up like dandelions in the summer.

This album is everything I would have hoped for out of a group six years ago, and it delivers. As a sound I would classify it loosely as post-hardcore, but in reality, what you get is a nice mesh of sounds throughout the album. Giving it a full listen through is like driving your car across the country and taking in the scenery; the landscapes and clouds slowly change and float on by, much like guitar and vocals. Don't get me wrong, however. This CD is powerful. Neufeld brings his experience screaming/yelling in Comeback Kid to play in most of the songs on this album.

The production on this album is fantastic. One of my biggest complaints with bands is when the vocals are muted by the other instruments. On Monolith, producer Devin Townsend, meshes all aspects of the sound in a way that sounds "thick" and at times "floaty." There aren't any moments in which I thought the production made the music suffer. If you compare this album to their first EP, you can definitely hear the improvements in the songs that made it over, especially on "Reconcile."

The lyrics and the way they are expressed on this album are, at worst, minimalist and, at best, completely inspiring for me to pick up my guitar. They seem to complement the music and flow naturally throughout the album. The softness of Neufeld's voice alone, without instruments, in the beginning of "Pillars," building up into the song, is one of my favorite moments.

Final words on this album would be epic and moody; they take you far east and back again. Give these guys a listen, they rival Manchester Orchestra for my (new) favorite band this year.

Recommended If You LikePost Hardcore/Indie; Brand New; Old Jimmy Eat World; Music made in the late '90s early 2000s

Sights and Sounds IsAndrew Neufeld - Vocals, Guitar
Adrian Mottram - Guitar
Matthew Vincent Howes - Bass
Joel Neufeld - Drums

http://www.myspace.com/sightsandsounds

Displaying posts 1 - 9 of 9
09:05 PM on 08/10/09
Hockeywall
Drink Beer, Play Hockey
User Info.
Big time fucking win for submitting a review of this album. Love it. Have you had a chance to see them live yet?
11:40 PM on 08/10/09
Samc1803
NO WORMS ON THE BED.
User Info.
Right on, dude. I almost reviewed this myself, since I hadn't seen one up yet. Love love love this album.
05:49 PM on 08/11/09
Shaned
User Info.
Yea I got to see them live with the Misery Signals headline tour. I went to the St. Catharines show at L3, it kicked ass man, my only gripe was S&S's set seemed short. It could just be me wanting more though haha.

Also yea the reason I wrote the review was because I didn't see one up and this band definately should be heard.
09:50 AM on 08/12/09
lew_1987
The desperation's gone.
User Info.
Thought their EP was pretty good... I need to buy this soon.
08:32 PM on 08/22/09
gcreams
what are you, some sort of punker?
User Info.
Checked them out after reading this. The album is fantastic, quickly becoming one of my favorites of this year.
05:39 AM on 10/05/09
Jaimehere
Support local music!
User Info.
surprised by the album expected a hardcore album, got something way better, its very ambient and moody great album, completely got me by surprise
06:36 PM on 07/18/11
hzcy
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Thanks all I loved and agreed power strips
with Ann's article but there are always those who blame the schools for America's troubles with extension cords
obesity and this seemed like an excellent opportunity to send out some information others don't power socket
know. There was SO much more I cut out as it was already so long.crystal trophy
I appreciate your support!crystal gifts
Options
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News