Password

Album Review
Broadway Calls - Good Views, Bad News Album Cover

Broadway Calls - Good Views, Bad News

Reviewed by
Broadway Calls - Good Views, Bad News
Record Label: SideOneDummy
Release Date: August 18, 2009
Oregon, go ahead and pat yourselves on the back. Why? No, not because Clyde the Glide was a great hoops star; no, not because without you, this very website (and this review!) would not exist; and no, not because Steve Miller helped popularize the word "pompatus." Pat yourselves on the back because after all these years, the Portland area is giving birth to more music than ever before. Sure, Paul Revere & the Raiders got their kicks, and Elliott Smith found a needle in the hay -- but recently, the humble City of Roses lodged between Seattle's busy scene and the Bay's frequent outputs has come into its own, delivering a plethora of new bands sure to make even Tanya Harding bust her own kneecaps out of pure unabashed joy.

You see, the Trailblazers aren't the only ones... well, um... blazing trails. After two previous releases earned the band some recognition with classic-era pop-punk fans (and Green Day's Billie Joe Armstrong), Broadway Calls -- a three-piece from Rainier -- have crafted an album that is sure to be the next longtime favorite for anyone who witness the rise of bands like New Found Glory, The Movielife or The Starting Line. Full of gut-punching rhythms, streetlight crusades and youthful exuberance, Good Views, Bad News is this year's pop-punk sleeper hit. Like the cover suggests, kite-flying will ensue because you'll be so overjoyed, you will be unable to contain your legs from skipping & your mouth from smiling.

"Midnight Hour" is a ringing ode to living the carefree lifestyle, and "Be All You Can't Be" succeeds in portraying confidence as an ideal one finds with their own true spirit. "Basement Royalty" is a high-flying ode to the sort of bands Broadway Calls came from, and "To The Sheets" channels All Time Low for a fist-pumping finale sure to end any live show on a high note. Go-to punk rock production duo Bill Stevenson & Jason Livermore have taken what Willie Samuels (Green Day) ignited on the self-titled record and blasted it into overload, doubling everything up for a record that sounds larger than life. While "To The Sheets" certainly would have worked as an album closer, "At the End" feels like it was preserved for the same duties. Two enormous ends to separate tracks on one album?! You bet your bee-hind!

"Give Up the Ghost" and "The Sundowners" are a one-two assault of pure adrenaline, showcasing what Ty Vaughn's bratty vocals can really do. It's obvious Vaughn has matured vocally, and for as much territory he covers here, Stevenson has allowed plenty of room for drummer Josh Baird and bassist Matt Koenig to respectively fire away. "Tonight's Alive" is fueled by Baird's military-style drumbeat and the unified gang vocals that expand the band's knack for big anthems. "The Wake Up Call" and "At the End" tie up the record as two of the band's most sincere moments, leading one to believe that with the Swellers releasing another full-length and Set Your Goals on the mainstream's radar... is pop-punk finally ready to ditch the neon and girl pants? Is pop-punk about to be a legitimate genre once more? If something is low in calories, will I still feel guilty for eating it so much? Ooh, ignore that last one -- it's rhetorical anyway.

Good Views, Bad News is the best pop-punk record of the year, and it's destined to be a classic in the genre as well; slide it alongside all your favorite Drive-Thru releases, because it will end up receiving just as many spins. Broadway Calls have just done the state of Oregon a favor, and crowned themselves the new Northwest kings of pop-punk.

Hail, hail, pop-punk rock & roll.

Recommended if You LikeSet Your Goals; The Riot Before; The Menzingers; The Starting Line; The Swellers; Teenage Bottlerocket

Tracklisting1. Midnight Hour
2. Be All You Can't Be
3. Election Night
4. Basement Royalty
5. To The Sheets
6. Give Up the Ghost
7. The Sundowners
8. Tonight's Alive
9. Best Year
10. The Wake Up Call
11. At the End
Band MembersTy Vaughn: vocals/guitar
Matt Koenig: bass/vocals
Josh Baird: drums

Online VitalsOfficial Myspace | Official Label Profile
PurchaseInterpunk
This review is a user submitted review from Chris Fallon. You can see all of Chris Fallon's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 79
03:29 AM on 07/31/09
djsclaus
www.brandonmarshall.net
User Info.
I've listened to this album twice and it's already one of my favorites of the year. It's really short, but it's great

Quote:
leading one to believe that with the Swellers releasing another full-length and Set Your Goals on the mainstream's radar... is pop-punk finally ready to ditch the neon and girl pants? Is pop-punk about to be a legitimate genre once more?
I'm as hopeful as ever. This year is turning out to be amazing for the pop-punk genre
03:42 AM on 07/31/09
McIrish
Liver Alone
User Info.
One side dummy have been on a roll these last two years with signing some pretty good bands. Preordered the t-shirt combo last week.
03:44 AM on 07/31/09
meekers
has been here longer than you
User Info.
great band. amazing record. solid people. get into this!!!
03:46 AM on 07/31/09
Nathan Lint
That's the real joke
User Info.
Great review Chris. Knew you would give this a fair score.

Hopefully this band goes from being an '09 sleeper to a '10 breakout. It wouldn't surprise me in the least.
03:55 AM on 07/31/09
EchoPark
promesas son sombras
User Info.
another cracker of a review Chris.

This really grabbed me be surprise. I thought it would be another same old heard before album but it really stands out.
03:56 AM on 07/31/09
holybuble
User Info.
makeme wanna throw up to see atl mentioned on this review. bc are on another planet.
this record>the swellers>syg and everything atl released or will ever release.
04:22 AM on 07/31/09
Chris Fallon
Boom.
User Info.
Great review Chris. Knew you would give this a fair score.

Hopefully this band goes from being an '09 sleeper to a '10 breakout. It wouldn't surprise me in the least.
Good to see ya buddy! I'm gonna be spreading the word on Broadway Calls and The Swellers all year until they score a smash hit. I refuse to let such talented pop-punk that I know would appeal to so many go unheard.
05:04 AM on 07/31/09
brandnewsheep
Walking Is Still Honest
User Info.
Nice review, can't wait for the CD :)
05:11 AM on 07/31/09
stereokiller
Howdy.
User Info.
Quote:
Good Views, Bad News is the best pop-punk record of the year, and it's destined to be a classic in the genre as well; slide it alongside all your favorite Drive-Thru releases, because it will end up receiving just as many spins. Broadway Calls have just done the state of Oregon a favor, and crowned themselves the new Northwest kings of pop-punk.

Hail, hail, pop-punk rock & roll.
*going to their myspace page*
05:37 AM on 07/31/09
animalfriend
User Info.
good album and nice guys, whole package, they desrve more cred
05:43 AM on 07/31/09
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
Yawn! Can't say this inspires me. Decent review though.
06:12 AM on 07/31/09
tom_q
User Info.
I knew this was going to be amazing, i never had a doubt. The two songs i have heard already are incredible. Seeing them at reading this year and supporting them the week after. I hope they get massive. Also, great review.
06:29 AM on 07/31/09
prefix-core
Andy Adores Alliteration
User Info.
Solid review, and I most certainly agree with the statement that this sucker has potential to be "pop-punk album of the year." But I hear Green Day, the Loved Ones, and the Ataris in this record more than New Found Glory, All Time Low, etc. I know these were just examples but...Yeah.

That being said? This will most likely be in my Top Five. Easy. Right up there with Dear Landlord. Seriously, Chris, if you haven't heard that album, get on it. I think ya' might dig.
06:30 AM on 07/31/09
boscorelli
destination: beautiful
User Info.
such a great album, so glad i started listening to these guys.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos