AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Saetia - A Retrospective Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.25
Musicianship 8
Lyrics 8.75
Production 7
Creativity 7.75
Lasting Value 8.25
Reviewer Tilt 9.5
Final Verdict: 82%
Member Ratings
Vocals 7
Musicianship 8
Lyrics 9
Production 7
Creativity 7.5
Lasting Value 8.5
Reviewer Tilt 9
Average: 80%
Inside AP.net

Saetia - A Retrospective

Reviewed by: Dymytry Vance (08/02/09)
Saetia - A Retrospective
Record Label: Level Plane
Release Date: October 1, 2001

Before the musical terms "emo" and "screamo" were given away to any band who (just barely) laid outside the norm of mainstream music, it was actually an agressive subgenre of hardcore punk rock music, and it thrived in the late '90s. At the forefront of this scene was a band named Saetia who never would let a short-lived career or a breakup stop them from creating an album. A Retrospective is a complete seventy-three minute discography from the band and will forever hold a spot on my CD rack, right next to Orchid and Circle Takes The Square.

Starting out with the extremely energetic "Notres Langues Nous Trompent," the album takes you on a journey of aggressive rhythms, complex drum patterns, and a combination of the somewhat signature howling and moaning vocal stylings of Billy Werner. There's some spoken word over an emotional guitar composition on the passionate and moving track, "Venus And Bacchus." Throughout, the howling vocals and occasional croon or two aptly depict and express the emotion displayed by Werner's lyrics of social struggles.

Most of the lyrics use uncommon phrases and large, hefty words that border on pretentious. Only rarely do they cross over the fine line of intelligent and emotional to tiring and meaningless. Though it may seem like his lyrics are below average, honestly, Werner may be one of my favoirte lyricists ever. When his lyrics sparkle, they sparkle, and the metaphors turn nonsense into ambiguous wit that leaves room for the imagination to take control, allowing the listener to relate on a better level.

The musicianship is quite impressive. The drummer shines on many of the tracks and perfectly follows the spastic eccentricities that mesh flawlessly together and intertwine to create a pretty original sound. Tracks range from spoken poetry over quiet musicianship to energetic, metal-paced sections, which allow the band to roam into many different musical territories and keep a refined experiment on this discography.

Now, while this album may be hard to find, it's a definite keeper for any fan of the first-wave screamo genre. It's one of my favorite albums, and well worth the price of online music stores. The album has and will continue to leave a legacy on how real emo-screamo should be done.

Recommended If You LikeFirst-wave screamo music; Orchid; Circle Take The Square; Raein; "As Roots Undo" by Circle Takes The Square; Old Saetia

Displaying posts 1 - 9 of 9.
07:16 PM on 08/12/09
Klatzke
Don't give me no hand me down love.
User Info.
1nd13 cr3d
07:31 PM on 08/12/09
Dymytry Vance
Fuck Relient K!
User Info.
Thank U m3h fri3nd... lol... but did you like the review? I really like your revies, so I'd like your honest opinion. (I know it's sort of rusty but it's my first review, and first reviews are never the best...)
07:49 PM on 08/12/09
Klatzke
User Info.
Thank U m3h fri3nd... lol... but did you like the review? I really like your revies, so I'd like your honest opinion. (I know it's sort of rusty but it's my first review, and first reviews are never the best...)
Yeah. Idk how you wrote it, but some lines seem a little wordy.. this one in particular

Quote:
The drummer shines on many of the tracks and perfectly follows the spastic eccentricities that mesh flawlessly together and intertwine to create a pretty original sound.

Not knocking your writing, but if you're using a thesaurus to come up with this or being purposely wordy then it's not particularly good. However, I still like the wording and it's informative. I just don't like the band so my critique isn't perfectly accurate.

EDIT: and is miles better than many user reviews here. Including a lot of mine when I started.
07:54 PM on 08/12/09
Dymytry Vance
Fuck Relient K!
User Info.
Yeah. Idk how you wrote it, but some lines seem a little wordy.. this one in particular

Not knocking your writing, but if you're using a thesaurus to come up with this or being purposely wordy then it's not particularly good. However, I still like the wording and it's informative. I just don't like the band so my critique isn't perfectly accurate.

EDIT: and is miles better than many user reviews here. Including a lot of mine when I started.
Yeah, I see what you mean... but I am a naturally verbose person. No, I refuse to use a thesaurus unless if I am brain-dead that day and am saying good every other word. I'm not writing for Pitchfork yet.

That's okay about the band thing. I really like the genre so of course I liked this band.

And thanks for the last line.
08:00 PM on 08/12/09
Klatzke
User Info.
Yeah, I see what you mean... but I am a naturally verbose person. No, I refuse to use a thesaurus unless if I am brain-dead that day and am saying good every other word. I'm not writing for Pitchfork yet.

That's okay about the band thing. I really like the genre so of course I liked this band.

And thanks for the last line.
haha alright I was just asking. If you're verbose, use your verbose words.
08:07 PM on 08/12/09
Dymytry Vance
Fuck Relient K!
User Info.
haha alright I was just asking. If you're verbose, use your verbose words.
My sentences are always a little verbose. My friend made fun of me for saying that his attempts at being jocular fell flat and made him look like an ignoramus.
12:28 PM on 10/04/09
chassmariee
shimmy shimmy my way down
User Info.
I like your use of descriptive, verbose words. Your review's' are good, I was actually intrested in this one.
12:50 PM on 10/04/09
Dymytry Vance
Fuck Relient K!
User Info.
I like your use of descriptive, verbose words. Your review's' are good, I was actually intrested in this one.
Thank you for the compliment.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News