Username
Password

11:14 PM on 08/03/09 
User Info.
El_Jeffe
In Love With It All
New Zealand
Male - 26 Years Old
since the other thread got removed, we need a new one. especially with the new movie billed to come out february 2010.one of the worlds most important artists & one of my personal favourites

one of musics most transcendent & iconic figures, bob introduced the sounds of his small nation to the far reaching corners of the globe. marley's music gave a voice to the every day struggles of the jamaican people, vividly capturing, not only the troubles of the country's impoverished & oppressed, but also the spirituality that remains their source of strength. his songs of faith, with a voice singing of revolution, revelation & romance created a legacy that continues to live on not only through his own music, but also through generations of artists the world over that were touched by his brilliance

he gave a voice to the “third world”, those suffering first hand the real & unimaginable cruelties of poverty, apartheid, social & political discrimination & inequalities. the power of his music goes above & beyond the face value, it became a deep-seated sound of hope that radiated throughout the lands & impacted on everyone's life, whether for mere enjoyment, on a spiritual level, or as the backdrop & drive for social change. those impacts of his music & message has been felt everywhere, even in situations that have next to no association to music. preaching peace & love, he gave the world hope. from the poverty lines to the materialistically rich, artists from all genres, people from all cultures, all countries. his music covered all concepts & was something everyone could relate too, music that has transcended through to today so well

while bob's songs were often written about his real life experiences, often in a jamaican setting, his songs always assumed a greater meaning. unfortunately bob experienced a time when a man of african decent was still fighting for a place in society. that's why his lyrics call for deeper assessment of human relations that move so far beyond his charismatic rhythms & melodic harmonies. whether he realized it at the time or not, his thoughts were being echoed around the world. this encouraged a sense of respecting cultures, respecting ideas, looking into & understanding political views, looking into where the real issues are throughout the world & what could/should be done. this movement reflected the growing human aspiration for racial harmony

marley's impact shouldn’t be underestimated. he turned his beliefs into a movement of universal force reaching out to all races. while his work for race relations may not be on par with the likes of martin luther king or the great nelson mandela, etc, you simply cannot understate the power music has to reach people who largely don't pay attention to politics/news, etc. bob may not have led the poor out from poverty, but he lent a sense of dignity & humanity to the struggles of such populations. his music brought the sound, the suffering, & the joys of some of the world's poorest places to the attention of people of all backgrounds & economic means. he achieved this through writing & playing music that made us groove & think

in much of today's popular music, romance is dying, politics is hit or miss, & spirituality & freedom are on the way out. yet marley covered it all. he took jamaica's complicated history, many unrelated social concepts, rasta philosophy, garveyism, rebellion, & his peoples homeland.. trench town, & bought new life to it; focused complex music that was concerned with reality, but weaved through with magic that transfixed not just his nation... but the world. he captured the essence of the "third world" & echoed it worldwide. many responded & many will never forget

any fans, share some love & discussion?
11:21 PM on 08/03/09 
User Info.
chipdip18
I was afraid I'd eat your brains.
Craig, you're still awesome.

Exodus is a great album. I was fortunate enough to stumble upon a site that had links to his whole discography, and got like 5 albums at once, a blessing and a curse at the same time since it's hard to digest so much at once but i really grew to enjoy Exodus in the very least. Incredible artist for sure.

What is this movie exactly?
11:40 PM on 08/03/09 
User Info.
El_Jeffe
In Love With It All
New Zealand
Male - 26 Years Old
i've been trying to visit this site more lately, but there doesn't seem any/many music threads on the first few pages of the music forum & no discussion. what the?!

the movie is a martin scorsese rockumentary about marley's music & life. although i haven't seen either, think back to the other two scorsese music films did about bob dylan & the rolling stones. the film is meant to be released on february 6, 2010/bob's 65th birthday. ziggy marley is the executive producer as far as i know & said "this will be the ultimate, authorised documentary film on the life, legacy and global impact of one of the most influential singers, songwriters, musicians and activists in history". so it should be good, no doubt i'll be in the theatre upon release
11:41 PM on 08/03/09 
User Info.
HangsLikeHeaven
coughin' like you caught a cold
Hamilton, ON
Male - 25 Years Old
Posting in here because I love me some Craig. And I can show love for Marley... just probably not as much as I'd like to.
08:46 AM on 08/04/09 
User Info.
jbaseball44
change your hair, change your life
Long Island
Male
Posting in support of Marley and in support of recreating old Ben threads.
12:46 PM on 08/04/09 
User Info.
blinkme
Sinatra blue
Kent/London, UK
Male - 27 Years Old
I had no idea there was a Bob Marley documentary coming out. Excited to see it!
03:49 PM on 08/04/09 
User Info.
El_Jeffe
In Love With It All
New Zealand
Male - 26 Years Old
yea i thought it was very petty to remove ben's threads, when many had some great discussion in them. sucks he doesn't post anymore

but the documentary should be great, i'm not sure what direction it's going to go in, i just hope it does some form of justice in a tasteful manner. there are so many possible avenues that could be brought to life by this film
03:54 PM on 08/04/09 
User Info.
Jumpoff
Muckduck
East Lansing
Male - 22 Years Old
Can't wait to see this film.. I wonder who is going to be cast to play Marley, Stephen maybe?

Hope it turns out good.. love the man's music.
07:22 AM on 10/24/09 
User Info.
Pat k
sunchildspeaks.blogspot.c om
Downers Grove, IL
Male - 28 Years Old
Bump for Bob!

Bummer that Bob's recently been co-opted by bros and sorority girls, but it's better than listening to DMB at parties. Bob made like 5-10 essential records.
07:34 AM on 10/24/09 
User Info.
ThisIsNotDan
MA
Male - 23 Years Old
I only have his Legend collection, and I haven't listened to it. gonna put it on my iPod, but what actual album of his is most essential to get?
07:45 AM on 10/24/09 
User Info.
PoweredbyPJ
Just because...you move your lips..
VA
Male - 24 Years Old
since im jamaican and pretty much grew up on his music being blared all over my house by my dad i feel kinda obliged to post something in this thread :p

love bob, love his music, love what he stood for

definitely interested in how the movie's gonna turn out too
08:06 AM on 10/24/09 
User Info.
Dre Okorley
Undeclared
Staff Member
The movie should be pretty awesome. Also, leave it to El Jeffe to start this thread
08:16 AM on 10/24/09 
User Info.
Pat k
sunchildspeaks.blogspot.c om
Downers Grove, IL
Male - 28 Years Old
I only have his Legend collection, and I haven't listened to it. gonna put it on my iPod, but what actual album of his is most essential to get?

A lot of people would say, and Time magazine would say, Exodus. I think Burnin' is a great place to start because you get to hear Peter and Bunny too!
01:09 PM on 10/24/09 
User Info.
El_Jeffe
In Love With It All
New Zealand
Male - 26 Years Old

exodus has been quoted as the greatest album of all time by some publications, but many roots reggae fans claim catch a fire deserves that spot. but honestly... every album catch a fire on deserves some attention, they're all incredibly strong & take his music in a new direction, building on the portrayal painted with each subsequent album. one of the strongest bodies of work of any artist in the world

i know that's never the answer newer fans are looking for, everyone just wants ones that "one essential album" to add to their collection, but this is music that deserves & requires a great amount of attention, learning, discovery, & just letting your soul soak in as much as you can. there's a reason he's a legend, his music breathes such a freshness, messages of such purity, as if they were written for the world just this morning. don't look at searching through his catelogue as task, but more as a personal journey through a musical landscape incomparable to any other, enjoy it mate
01:11 PM on 10/24/09 
User Info.
ThisIsNotDan
MA
Male - 23 Years Old
A lot of people would say, and Time magazine would say, Exodus. I think Burnin' is a great place to start because you get to hear Peter and Bunny too!

exodus has been quoted as the greatest album of all time by some publications, but many roots reggae fans claim catch a fire deserves that spot. but honestly... every album catch a fire on deserves some attention, they're all incredibly strong & take his music in a new direction, building on the portrayal painted with each subsequent album. one of the strongest bodies of work of any artist in the world

i know that's never the answer newer fans are looking for, everyone just ones that "one essential album" to add to their collection, but this is music that deserves & requires a great amount of attention, learning, discovery, & just letting your soul soak in as much as you can. there's a reason he's a legend, his music breathes such a freshness, messages of such purity, as if they were written for the world just this morning. don't look at searching through his catelogue as task, but more as a personal journey through a musical landscape incomparable to any other, enjoy it mate

ah thank you both. I'll start google searchin now. gracias!

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos