Username
Password
Cartel News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Cartel
Inside AP.net

AOL Music Unveils Hot New Breaker Artists For Spring

Posted by: Rohan Kohli (03/30/06)
Cartel has been selected as one of AOL Music's "Breaker" artists. Below is the press release.
Press ReleaseNew York, NY – March 30, 2006 – Fans will be buzzing when they experience the sounds of AOL Music’s latest picks for its innovative Breakers program, which is sponsored by Mercedes-Benz and is designed to give guaranteed superstar treatment to artists on the rise. Beginning March 31, fans can go to AOLMusic.com to discover great music from British chanteuse Corinne Bailey Rae, pop-punks Cartel, country band The Lost Trailers, hard-rocking Aussie trio Wolfmother, rhythmic singer-songwriter Mat Kearney and 15-year-old hip-hop phenomenon Young Leek.

Throughout the season, these new Breaker artists will be showcased on AOLMusic.com and across the AOL® Music and Radio Networks. Elements of the artist campaigns include an appearance on AOL® Sessions, the intimate, in-studio performance series, AIM® Music Interviews, song and music video debuts, and heavy rotation on AOL Radio.

As announced earlier this month, AOL Music's Breakers program is sponsored by Mercedes-Benz for 2006. In addition to its support of these great artists and other Breakers to be named throughout the year, Mercedes-Benz has joined with AOL Music to create the “On Our Radar” feature, designed to showcase even more up-and-coming talent on a weekly basis.

“There’s no way of overstating the impact of being an AOL Music Breaker, ” said Ne-Yo, whose debut album, In My Own Words entered at # 1 on Billboard's Top 200 chart, selling over 300, 000 copies. “My music was played millions of times on AOL Music and introduced me to a whole new audience. It’s a great way to break through.”

Recent Breakers success stories also include 2006 Best New Artist Grammy winner John Legend and platinum artists Fall Out Boy and Sugarland, as well as newcomers Panic! at the Disco and Teddy Geiger. Other artists to be featured as Breakers at the onset of their careers include Avril Lavigne, Josh Groban, 50 Cent, Michelle Branch, The Game, Jet and Keyshia Cole.

This season’s Breaker artists include:

Corinne Bailey Rae (Capitol Records): Much-talked about newcomer Corinne Bailey Rae has been called the British Norah Jones, but this soul siren has also garnered comparisons to Erykah Badu and Jill Scott. The stylish chanteuse has already set the U.K. press aflutter with her critically acclaimed self-titled debut. Her album lands stateside on June 20.

Cartel (Epic Records): Super-catchy pop-punk from the South, these Atlanta boys already have a devoted Web following and were voted by the staff of Alternative Press as a Band You Need To Know. In their short history as a band, Cartel has already toured the country multiple times and will be part of the Warped tour this summer. The album, Chroma, is currently in stores.

The Lost Trailers (BNA): This Atlanta-based band plays straight from the hip country music that caught the attention of Willie Nelson in 2000 who invited them to play his Fourth of July Picnic. Their music features Stokes Nielson's gift for songwriting, Ryder Lee's passionate vocals, Manny Medina's signature guitar licks, Jeff Potter and Andrew Nielson's driving rhythm and topped off with Trailer harmonies. The self-titled album is planned for release July 2006.

Wolfmother (Interscope Records): With an awe-inspiring display of ear-shattering riff-rock, this Australian trio had the buzz show at this year’s South By Southwest music festival in Austin. Wolfmother plays monstrous hard rock in the grand tradition of Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath and AC/DC, and they mix it with a modern sensibility ala the White Stripes. For any lovers of take-no-prisoners rock & roll -- the band’s self-titled debut will be unleashed on fans on May 2.

Mat Kearney (Columbia Records): Unassuming yet supremely talented, Mat Kearney writes memorable pop rock songs, with just a hint of hip-hop. His music echoes with touches of John Mayer and Coldplay, as he combines great hooks, revealing lyrics from the heart, and his own brand of spoken-word into a new mix. Kearney’s album, Nothing Left to Lose, is slated for release on April 18.

Young Leek (Def Jam): At just 15 years old, Talik Baker (a.k.a. Young Leek) was signed on the spot by Island Def Jam Chairman, Antonio "LA" Reid, after auditioning in the executive's New York City office. Leek's energetic flow evokes Nelly and Chingy, as showcased in his crazy-infectious single, "Jiggle It," which hits airwaves in mid-April. The debut album, Something to Prove, is scheduled to drop this summer.

AOL Music (http://www.aolmusic.com) is a leading online destination for music, reaching millions of music fans a month* through a rich array of programming, products and services that make it easy to discover, experience, listen to and buy music online.

About America Online, Inc.
America Online, Inc. and its subsidiaries operate a leading network of Web brands and the largest Internet access subscription service in the United States. Brands include the AOL® service, the AOL.com® website, and the AIM®, MapQuest®, Moviefone®, Netscape®, CompuServe® and ICQ® services. America Online offers a range of digital services including the TotalTalk® voice service. The company also has operations in Canada and Europe. America Online, Inc. is based in Dulles, Virginia, and is a wholly owned subsidiary of Time Warner Inc.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 26
12:26 PM on 03/30/06
Jason Tate
User Info.
I hope they remember us when they're HUGE.
I hope everyone remembers where they heard about them first ... :)
12:29 PM on 03/30/06
Luckie St
Is Sad About Cartel
User Info.
Originally Posted by Jason Tate

1. they are going to be HUGE.

2. i actually heard about them on purevolume.

p.s. ap.net still rules. and i've heard of like 90 other bands here.
12:33 PM on 03/30/06
Rohan Kohli
True Punk Fan
User Info.
Anyone else super stoked for Cartel's "AOL Sessions"?
12:34 PM on 03/30/06
Luckie St
Is Sad About Cartel
User Info.
i certainly am.
12:35 PM on 03/30/06
KillTheMusic
User Info.
Originally Posted by Jason Tate

I heard about them at a rocket summer show

good for them by the way
12:38 PM on 03/30/06
N8IVIin0rity
User Info.
i heard about them when we opened for them at this halloween show like 3 years ago. wh00t.
12:43 PM on 03/30/06
Scuba Chris
...has a gambling problem
User Info.
Cartel is blowing up. And I am extremely happy for them.
12:45 PM on 03/30/06
fallafelraffle
User Info.
typo:

"For any lovers of take-no-prisoners rock & roll -- the band’s self-titled debut will be unleashed on fans on May 2."

??
12:48 PM on 03/30/06
gcore
jesus breath.
User Info.
haha you guys are all assholes. i heard about cartel here first. bomb site, jason.
01:01 PM on 03/30/06
aCe_
I'm a rebel
User Info.
Cartel is gaining a lot of popularity, I'm very pleased.
01:05 PM on 03/30/06
carramrod2005
User Info.
im so happy for them they deserve all this attention they are getting
01:08 PM on 03/30/06
StartingLine182
Stay What You Are
User Info.
Its only a matter of time before they are the next yellowcard or fall out boy. Ive yet to met too many people that dont like them.
01:15 PM on 03/30/06
MotionIsntMeaning
Fake Punk Fan
User Info.
that's awesome.....they are gonna be huge. thanks to AP.net for introducing me to cartel.
01:20 PM on 03/30/06
iihungrieii
LAKERS!!!!!!
User Info.
i hope cartel wins this thing!
Options
Related News Stories
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives