AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Six Gallery - Breakthroughs in Modern Art Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.25
Musicianship 9
Lyrics 7.5
Production 8.25
Creativity 8.5
Lasting Value 8
Reviewer Tilt 8
Final Verdict: 82%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9.33
Musicianship 9.58
Lyrics 9.17
Production 9.17
Creativity 9.83
Lasting Value 9.67
Reviewer Tilt 9.58
Average: 95%
Inside AP.net

Six Gallery - Breakthroughs in Modern Art

Reviewed by: Travis Parno (09/15/09)
Six GalleryBreakthroughs in Modern Art
Record Label: unsigned
Release Date: June, 2009

Nobody likes a showoff, but let’s be honest: Six Gallery plays guitar better than you.

This fact becomes readily apparent in the first few minutes of the Columbus, OH’s debut LP Breakthroughs in Modern Art. What isn’t immediately apparent to those unfamiliar with the band’s mathy guitar breakdowns and flitting, frenetic percussion is that a massive change has taken place in Six Gallery’s musical mentality. Such is the case when an instrumental band moves to a new town, trades out a drummer, and decides to give the whole vocalist thing a whirl. Has starting over ever sounded so good?

Provocative hyperbolic questions aside, there’s no denying the fact that Six Gallery’s latest costume change is an inspired look. The musical machine gun of Will Vokac and Ben Schreiber’s finger-tapped guitars is still there, but the addition of Daniel Francis’ fervent vocals has pushed the group into uncharted territory. One could go on and on about the ways in which Francis bounces from expression to expression, often ripping into a soulful cry before sinking into a whisper (give the standout “Built to Last” a try). His rambling lyrics drop facts, allusions, secrets, and tall-tales with equal earnestness and we’re not sure whether to believe all of it or none of it. The sheer excitement his stories offer sprints arm-in-arm with the sparkling guitars with an incredibly balanced, energetic effect.

It’s this symmetry that sets Six Gallery apart. From a band known for its instrumental aptitude, it’s nice that the shift to a vocally-driven band has not actually manifested itself in a shift to a vocally-driven band. Guitars and vocals are given equal footing, harmonizing rather than dueling on the platform created by the talents of Alex Weinhardt (Bass) and Ben Miller (drums). “A Live Nativity Scene” epitomizes this dichotomy. Francis takes a turn with some poignant lines before stepping aside as electric riffs drip and dot into place. The two then join for a pulsing chorus that leads into the explosive final two minutes of the track. “Say Matte” takes a similar approach, subtracts some attack, and adds a touch of smokiness to create a thing of beauty. The only song that can’t seem to identify itself is “Just Hey,” a jolting trip through disorganized, heady breakdowns that gets lost somewhere along the way.

The majority of the album’s tunes tend to blossom organically, casually (but not unnaturally) eschewing the typical verse-chorus format. Crystalline riffs and earthy bass blips intertwine, vine-like, with shakers and snares in “Edie & the Marble Faun,” forming a song so cavernous it feels as if we could sneak right on in. It’s borderline disarming, a characteristic that can easily catch up on an unsuspecting listener. At times, between the kaleidoscopic instrumentation and the delirious story-telling, it can be difficult to locate one’s self in the din.

Still, the transition from instrumental to full band has been successfully navigated and it has resulted in an LP that could have easily been a mess of missteps, but isn’t. Despite its ironic title, Breakthroughs in Modern Art is clearly not afraid to show something new. You won’t even need the pretentious instrumental secret song to prove the fact that Six Gallery plays their guitars much better than you. And now that they have a vocalist, you’d better watch out.

Track List1. Bermuda Triangles
2. A Live Nativity Scene
3. Built to Last*
4. Say Matte
5. Edie & the Marble Faun*
6. Glaciar de las Lágrimas
7. Just Hey
8. Honestly, Really?
9. Fish Milk
10. Smile Like a Switch

* - recommended tracks

Give it a try if you like…Maps and Atlases; This Town Needs Guns; The Receiving End of Sirens

Hear it on the internetzOfficial Myspace | Official Website

Displaying posts 1 - 11 of 11.
01:01 PM on 09/15/09
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
This review reminds me that I need to work a lot harder.
Hot damn you make me look paltry.
Truly incredible stuff. Cheers. As for the band, I'm still feeling it out.
03:26 PM on 09/15/09
WhitIH
User Info.
Great review & great band. I would also note 'Glaciar de las Lagrimas' as a standout track. It has this haunting feel that totally sets it apart from the rest of the record.
04:22 PM on 09/15/09
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
this sounds awesome
08:21 PM on 09/15/09
killerclownbros
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
The world is unfair to bands like these, who simply do not get the attention they deserve.
Please do check them out, their music is fresh and exciting.
Great review by the way, persuaded me to give them a go, and im glad i did.
08:22 AM on 09/16/09
GeeBee
Tertium Non Datur
User Info.
Thanks for reviewing this...I was just checking it out last night.
08:46 AM on 09/16/09
inthemidst
Grace and Peace
User Info.
This review reminds me that I need to work a lot harder.
Hot damn you make me look paltry.
Truly incredible stuff. Cheers. As for the band, I'm still feeling it out.
This is a good review, but yours are awesome too Greg. Just reminding you bro!

Travis: I definitely enjoyed your description of their dynamic shift from primary instrumental to the addition of a vocalist. I love when instrumental bands add that needed element. Some, however, do it unsuccessfully. Based on your review, though, Six Gallery seems to have done it right.
10:08 AM on 09/16/09
Travis Parno
my sensible heart
User Info.
This is a good review, but yours are awesome too Greg. Just reminding you bro!
i know, right?!
01:44 PM on 09/17/09
Eadonj
User Info.
You drew me in when you mentioned this town needs guns. I'm really enjoying the tracks on their myspace page so thanks for the review!
06:50 PM on 09/22/09
Dymytry Vance
Fuck Relient K!
User Info.
Impressive RIYL.
01:21 PM on 03/19/10
Say Nothing
Oh the burdens of time
User Info.
Great stuff!
Options
More From This Author