AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
AFI - Crash Love Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 9.25
Musicianship 9.5
Lyrics 8
Production 9
Creativity 6.25
Lasting Value 7.5
Reviewer Tilt 8.25
Final Verdict: 83%
Member Ratings
Vocals 7.3
Musicianship 7.18
Lyrics 7.05
Production 7.38
Creativity 6.73
Lasting Value 6.91
Reviewer Tilt 6.53
Average: 70%
Inside AP.net

AFI - Crash Love

Reviewed by: Chris Fallon (09/30/09)
AFI - Crash Love
Record Label: Interscope/Geffen
Release Date: September 29, 2009

When it comes to AFI's legacy, there are two sides to the story: there is the independent, hardcore punk outfit that shook stages of local circuits for several years in the 1990's, and there is the considerably more popular band that signed to a major-label in 2002. The debate continues to rage on as to which version of the band is "better," but the fact of the matter is AFI has never been the same one-trick pony some punk bands can often remain. By the time the new millennium rolled around, The Art of Drowning was goth-punk perfection and shot AFI's name into the stratosphere. They were no longer the wildly spastic hardcore band that answered things and stayed fashionable -- they were now full-blown rock stars (oh snap, someone call the DIY police, because they be breaking all kinds of punk rock "laws").

So here we are, nearly 20 years since their inception and is AFI anywhere close to who they started out as? A resounding hell and no, as the band has yet again reinvented their sound to arguably upset their older, more stubborn fanbase and reel in listeners more fond of their post-Drowning material. Crash Love is by no means a work of art, but it's a nice step-up from the mildly enjoyable 2006 release Decemberunderground, which was ironically drowning itself in electronic beats and cheesy synthesizers. Maintaining a far more straightforward approach, Crash Love is certainly more in the vein of pop-rock 80's glam like The Cure or even solo Morrissey, and even touches upon modern-day Alkaline Trio (do Davey and Matt Skiba swap journals?). AFI is still gothic in nature, but their sound is tighter, larger than ever and well-rehearsed, proving this is still one finely-tuned machine.

Kicking it off with two choir-backed rockers, "Torch Song" and "Beautiful Thieves" are dramatic arena-style rock that rely on Adam Carson's precision on the drumkit and Davey Havok's emotionally surging vocals, one of the band's main draws. With "End Transmission" hinting at Sing the Sorrow-era material, it's a magnificently jazzy number which rolls along nicely on a slick bass line from Hunter Burgan (who, as an excellent bassist, needs a little more to do here on the record). "Too Shy to Scream" is the first genuine pop track to show up, full of big handclaps and power chords that would make Green Day, um, well, green with envy. However, it's charm derives from Havok's cheeky vocal delivery (he still loves to throw in that little "oh!" cat-call every now and again) and overwhelming Adam Ant influence. "I'm Trying Very Hard to Be Here" and "Darling, I Want to Destroy You" are the types of songs you'd figure could have been written for the last record, but Joe McGrath's steady hands keep AFI's feet on the ground here, pacing the tight rhythm section to match Havok's savvy cries; both tracks go hand-in-hand with one another to give much of the record its pulse.

"Veronica Sawyer Smokes" is the album's most overwhelming misfire, shifting from massive hooks to a jangly indie-pop mentality. While it wants to be a single reminescent of Robert Smith's most radio-friendly tracks, it takes some of the edge off the record's first half (guitarist Jade Puget doesn't get much to do in the middle portion of the record). From there, Crash Love doesn't exactly roll itself into a ditch so much as it swerves here and there, struggling to find its way back onto the road. "Cold Hands" is painfully cheesy ("Your serenade turns to filth when I leave so / Please, cut the love song") and "Okay, I Feel Better Now" hints are reliving protocol of previous AFI songs, but begins losing it's muster by the final act.

Nonetheless, after Decemberunderground failed to hold any sort of longevity with many fans, it's good to see that AFI still has enough powerful chords left to supply a nice alternative to those who just think Green Day is too soft. "Medicate" is a choice single to reflect both sides of Crash Love's affair with the goth-punk/modern-rock sound, and despite the lack of the band's roots, fans have to understand AFI is no longer that angry, sarcastic punk band anymore -- every member has strengthened their craft to coincide with each individual's influence. All grown up and still yearning with a taste for melodramatic, gothic romance, AFI has purposely crashed time & time again, only to get up and rebuild it all over again at every turn.

Recommended if You LikeThe Cure; Alkaline Trio; Morrissey; David Bowie; Adam Ant
Choice Cuts"I Am Trying Very Hard to Be Here," "Darling, I Want to Destroy You" and "End Transmission"

Tracklisting1. Torch Song
2. Beautiful Thieves
3. End Transmission
4. Too Shy to Scream
5. Veronica Sawyer Smokes
6. Okay, I Feel Better Now
7. Medicate
8. I Am Trying Very Hard to Be Here
9. Sacrilege
10. Darling, I Want to Destroy You
11. Cold Hands
12. It Was Mine
Band MembersDavey Havok: vocals
Hunter Burgen: bass
Jade Puget: guitars
Adam Carson: drums/percussion

Online VitalsOfficial Site | Official Myspace | Official Youtube Channel
PurchaseAmazon MP3 - Standard | Amazon MP3 - Deluxe

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 132
02:10 AM on 09/30/09
Chris Fallon
Boom.
User Info.
If you buy it, make sure you get the deluxe edition -- the six bonus tracks are some of the best recordings the band has done over the course of the past seven years.
02:29 AM on 09/30/09
Paulb-182
opentofire.bandcamp.com
User Info.
I'll just listen to Shut Your Mouth and Open Your Eyes instead.
02:36 AM on 09/30/09
Chris Fallon
Boom.
User Info.
I'll just listen to Shut Your Mouth and Open Your Eyes instead.
I presume you haven't been into their stuff the past few years?
02:41 AM on 09/30/09
Paulb-182
opentofire.bandcamp.com
User Info.
I presume you haven't been into their stuff the past few years?
Not since decemberunderground and Sing The Sorrow.

Plus I went to see them on tour in 07 and they played not a single song from before those two albums. That put me off them immensely, plus after they'd just come out after Jimmy Eat World played a perfect set, it was all the more disappointing. I still listen to SYMAOYE and Art Of Drowning occasionally, but AFI just aren't a band to me anymore.
02:47 AM on 09/30/09
Chris Fallon
Boom.
User Info.
Not since decemberunderground and Sing The Sorrow.

Plus I went to see them on tour in 07 and they played not a single song from before those two albums. That put me off them immensely, plus after they'd just come out after Jimmy Eat World played a perfect set, it was all the more disappointing. I still listen to SYMAOYE and Art Of Drowning occasionally, but AFI just aren't a band to me anymore.
I can understand how some people could have found that irritating. Apparently their new setlists include quite a few older songs -- I think newer fans to the band might not "get" the older sound, which is partly why they have steered away from that material live. Just a thought, because I wouldn't mind them covering some stuff from 1997 and beyond over just post-2000 stuff.
02:53 AM on 09/30/09
Paulb-182
opentofire.bandcamp.com
User Info.
I can understand how some people could have found that irritating. Apparently their new setlists include quite a few older songs -- I think newer fans to the band might not "get" the older sound, which is partly why they have steered away from that material live. Just a thought, because I wouldn't mind them covering some stuff from 1997 and beyond over just post-2000 stuff.
Exactly, I've just looked up what they played and

Prelude 12/21
Girls Not Grey
The Leaving Song Pt.II
Kill Caustic
Summer Shudder
The Missing Frame
Death of Seasons
Silver & Cold
Love Like Winter
This Time Imperfect
Dancing Through Sunday
----------
Ziggy Stardust
Miss Murder

that, was the set, I've nothing against some of those songs, but there was no energy to it at all. I'll probably never go to see them live again either after that show. It's not as if I'm some stubborn punk purist either cus I love pop/pop rock on a whole, I just don't think AFI do it all that well. Disappointing too cus they were one of my favourite bands in my early teens
03:03 AM on 09/30/09
Chris Fallon
Boom.
User Info.
Exactly, I've just looked up what they played and

Prelude 12/21
Girls Not Grey
The Leaving Song Pt.II
Kill Caustic
Summer Shudder
The Missing Frame
Death of Seasons
Silver & Cold
Love Like Winter
This Time Imperfect
Dancing Through Sunday
----------
Ziggy Stardust
Miss Murder

that, was the set, I've nothing against some of those songs, but there was no energy to it at all. I'll probably never go to see them live again either after that show. It's not as if I'm some stubborn punk purist either cus I love pop/pop rock on a whole, I just don't think AFI do it all that well. Disappointing too cus they were one of my favourite bands in my early teens
I have this feeling they won't be including as many DU songs any longer. Seems like they are over all that.
04:08 AM on 09/30/09
introduction
You're not real musician!
User Info.
i'm sad to say i'm over this band
05:07 AM on 09/30/09
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
Your best review in awhile. Direct, straightforward and highly well-written. Cheers, mate.
05:09 AM on 09/30/09
exthuse
punknews is stoked
User Info.
Great review, I can't help but feel that this album is alot better than what it could have been. Good idea working with McGrath, who oversaw with Finn the past 2 albums. Joe McGrath will carry Jerry Finn's pop punk sound very well.

Some very strong songs here though, it's a more condensed Sing The Sorrow but it packs a punch which DU didn't.
05:19 AM on 09/30/09
MyNameIsRoss
horrible album cover
05:22 AM on 09/30/09
Richard Maxim
Life: April Fools
User Info.
I actually really liked decemberunderground, I'm Emo.
05:34 AM on 09/30/09
McIrish
Liver Alone
User Info.
If you buy it, make sure you get the deluxe edition -- the six bonus tracks are some of the best recordings the band has done over the course of the past seven years.
Completely agree, I bought the Itunes Deluxe version and found myself only playing the bonus tracks.
05:37 AM on 09/30/09
stereokiller
Howdy.
User Info.
end transmission is so wicked.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives