The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:
The Hollow Sound - (Justin Poirier, guitarist) [myspace]
1. How did you get your band name?
The band name was initially supposed to be a commentary on pop music, sort of a calling out on how meaningless and hollow the lyrics are/can be. However looking back on it, it has become more of a representation of how we write. Different members of the band will bring skeletons of songs, and the rest of us will fill them in. Either way it is ironic, because we are essentially trying to eliminate the hollow sound.
2. How did this band get started?
I, Justin, started writing songs with Maddie, because she was the best singer I knew. Then I asked Evan to join, because he was the only drummer I knew who had the time to play in another band. He has also been one of best friends for the past ten years. Evan later moved onto guitar, and we have since had a few different drummers. Bill was pretty much always our bassist and the last piece of the puzzle. Well except for Adam of course, but he joined about 3 years into the band.
3. What bands are you influenced by?
Saves the Day, Weezer, Everclear, Pat Benatar, A Wilhelm Scream, Knapsack, The Beatles, The Foo Fighters, The Get Up Kids, The Fall Of Troy, The Pixies, The Police, mostly bands that start with the word “the”.
4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would it be and why?
Currently, I would want to tour with Say Anything, Paramore, Brand New, and Copeland. The music and exposure would be amazing. But in the past I would like to tour with Guns N Roses circa Appetite for Destruction, for the stories. This is also the reason why our bassist Bill would like to tour with Horse the Band.
5. If you were a furry, what animal would you be? Why that animal?
I would be a bear, because I am large and I sleep in a cave.
6. Why should people listen to your band?
Because we’re easy to listen to, we’re fun, we have a good time, and you don’t want to be the only one of your friends that isn’t listening to The Hollow Sound.
7. If you were chosen to be in Guitar Hero/Rock Band, what song would you want in the game? How hard do you think it would be to five-star on expert?
Our "Song Rachel Was Right" would probably be the most appropriate to put in Guitar Hero/Rock Band. It is probably one of the more fun songs to play on guitar. It would not be terribly hard to play on expert, probably a little easier than Dragonforce.
8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
I would thank my band, and my parents, and Christopher Walken for always being there when I needed a shoulder to cry on.
9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
I would like to see less prosecution for people pirating music, as well as more of an adaptation to the changing digital market.
10. Memorable tour experience?
Looking over at my sixteen-year-old brother (our drummer at the time) while he confusingly stared at the pant less singer from The Matches. It was 4 A.M. and we were in a loft party in New York during CMJ. I don’t know if he has ever been the same.
11. What does AP.net mean to you?
I get news there. It’s a great place to break bands, and to find out about breaking bands.
12. What is your favorite song to play?
I really like playing our song “5” because it goes through so many different feels.
13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
Last vacation I took was to L.A. and it was pretty awesome, but I would like to hit up Hawaii.
14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
Jimmy Buffett, I am convinced that my dad listened to nothing else for at least the first seven years of my life.
15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
I would want to be able to fly, like Superman, because I hate waiting for the subway.
16. Do you feel that your band has "made it"?
I thought I would when we were on MTV. But I still feel like there are places for us to go. I guess I won’t feel like we have made it until we can all quit our day jobs.
17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
That I am a cat person.
18. What's your favorite holiday?
Normally Halloween, but Christmas was especially good this year. Then again I will always have a special place in my heart for Arbor Day and The Ides of March.
19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
Play video games, make music videos, write and record Christmas albums.
20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
I am a professional video editor, I can draw reasonably well, I can paint, and I can also touch my nose with my tongue.