AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Ocean Is Theory - In My Blood Again Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.75
Musicianship 8.75
Lyrics 8
Production 8.75
Creativity 6.75
Lasting Value 8.5
Reviewer Tilt 9
Final Verdict: 84%
Member Ratings
Vocals 10
Musicianship 10
Lyrics 9.92
Production 9.92
Creativity 10
Lasting Value 10
Reviewer Tilt 9.83
Average: 100%
Inside AP.net

Ocean Is Theory - In My Blood Again

Reviewed by: drewinseries (10/22/09)
Ocean Is Theory - In My Blood Again
Record Label - Unsigned
Release Date: September 29, 2009

A year after the first release of 2008's Into the Mouths of Lions, Ocean Is Theory release their newest EP, In My Blood Again. In My Blood Again touches on the elements found in Lions but Blood is a departure from their former sound, and jump starts the growth to finding their niche in the musical world. The EP opens with "Where We Left Off," a hard hitting track that sets the tone for the entire EP. Listening to the chorus and verses, it is easy to assume that singer/guitarist Josh Williams' vocal style has changed immensely. Forget about the cute vocal melodies designed for Lions; Williams lets everything lose on this EP.

Track two, "Twenty Nine Eleven" is Ocean's most ambitious song to date. Leaving behind the usual delayed guitar, powerful chorus sound, "Twenty Nine Eleven" is a track will get you moving, clapping and singing till the very end. Bassist Kevin Cerbone shines throughout this whole song, driving the foundation for the groove of the track. The ending will be stuck in your head for a while, since it consists of many Woah's and Oh's that will be sure to remind you of Mr. Sanchez and the In Keeping days.

The third song, "Miles Away" exhibits all the different elements Ocean has to offer. The guitar work of Nick Novak during the verse sets a perfect rest for the giant pieces of the pre-chorus and chorus. Throughout the entire EP, drummer Clay Carter displays massive beats of power that bring true backbone to the songs, and they pound through during "Miles Away". Along with tight musicianship, Williams hits the high notes, and lets out massive yells, to lead into a chant style chorus. Throw in a creepy piano bridge, and you have one of the better tracks off the EP

The Final track on the EP hits the hardest. Clocking in at almost five minutes, "The Motion, The Feeling" perfectly displays the growth and maturity that Ocean Is Theory has aimed to achieve with In My Blood Again. It starts off with a quieter verse, but don't get to comfortable, because once you hear the tune of the very grunge-esk pre-chorus, Ocean Is Theory knocks you back down. The most memorable part of the track, happens around 3:17 where all music stops except for Carter, and Williams is singing the theme for which the EP is based: "I want to feel you/ in my mind again/ in my lungs again/ in my blood again"

Through their lyrics, Ocean doesn't make it a secret that they have a strong religious background. With titles like "Twenty Nine Eleven" (which comes from a piece from the bible), and lyrics consisting of "you gave 33 years and I have barely done my part." Williams and the rest of the band's beliefs are known to all.

Sure this isn't a creative creation of songs, but it does what its supposed to. With each release, Ocean Is Theory is getting closer and closer to finding their true sound, and until then, I sit on the edge of my seat, anxiously waiting to hear what they have to offer.

Tracklisting1. Where We Left Off
2. Twenty Nine Eleven
3. Miles Away
4. The Motion, The Feeling

Ocean Is Theory isClay Carter - Drums
Kevin Cerbone - Bass
Nick Novak - Guitar
Josh Williams - Vocals/Guitar

Recommended If You LikeThe Receiving End Of Sirens; Thrice; Moving Mountains

Displaying posts 1 - 9 of 9
10:41 AM on 11/06/09
Miketheunicycle
"Look mom, no hands!"
User Info.
good review, thought almost the exact same of this ep. After Lions I wasn't sure whether or not a follow up from these guys would be able to exeed or even live up to Lions. But this ep deffinitly shows growth and maturity and i aswell, am looking forward to what the future will bring for Ocean Is Theory.
08:47 PM on 11/06/09
Handraa
.-.-.-.-.
User Info.
Great group of guys.
09:43 PM on 11/06/09
She Let Me Go
User Info.
06:01 PM on 11/08/09
Handraa
.-.-.-.-.
User Info.
Someone needs to sign these guys
*COUGH* Equal Vision*COUGH*
10:56 AM on 11/10/09
JohnBetikk
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
If I had a dollar for everytime I heard "Woah" while listening to this, I would have 63 dollars.

Really?
01:31 PM on 11/10/09
hollowitout
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Someone needs to sign these guys
*COUGH* Equal Vision*COUGH*
for real. i wouldn't be surprised to see these guys get really huge.
saw them in Chicago and the songs live deliver just as much, if not more than the record.
03:07 PM on 11/10/09
radiohead2+2=5
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I love the new Ocean is Theory EP, it actually reminds me of a rock opera with Josh Williams' new vocal change and the whole band singing now, which is absolutely amazing! Love it, keep rockin' guys!
07:33 PM on 02/07/10
Zachals
I can wait...
User Info.
that review sounds like it was written by this guy i know

great music here, though
Options
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives