1. How did you get your band name?
It is a common phrase and we are neither Gentlemen or Scholars. Or common.
2. How did this band get started?
Gentlemen and Scholars was started by 4 of the 6 guys when they were in junior high. They went through around 300 name changes and a revolving door of singers and guitarists until myself (the singer) and Adam the guitarist came along. We had played in a semi rival band in the area for years and after we broke up, we formed a corn state super group haha.
3. What bands are you influenced by?
Some of the modern ones would be chiller bands like As Tall As Lions and My Morning Jacket and as heavy as Every Time I die and Circa Survive. But growing up a lot of us took influence from bands like Rolling Stones and GNR. Real meth heads of Indiana rock. Side note: Diamond Dave of Van Halen and Axl Rose of GNR were both from Indiana. As was Buffalo Bill from Silence of the Lambs?
4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would it be and why?
Past: Any 80s metal glam band for the experience of backwards insanity
Present: Saves the Day, because they have undergone a musical transition on every album and every album is great.
(Optional) Future: Zon 30x T because they have conquered all of humanity and we have no choice
5. If you were a furry, what animal would you be? Why that animal?
A Minotaur. Yes a fictional animal but making it that much more special/creepy
6. Why should people listen to your band?
People should listen to Gentlemen and Scholars because we passionately explores different layers and genres of music and blend them together well. You will be guaranteed hear at least one song you like on our album.
7. If you were chosen to be in Guitar Hero/Rock Band, what song would you want in the game? How hard do you think it would be to five-star on expert?
"Madman Nash" a song about an escaped convict who gets away and laughs about it. A true underdog tale! It would be medium difficulty, the most trouble coming when you want to throw down your instrument and jam. And/or whip out your weiner/boobs.
8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
We'd thank every one of our supportive friends and family. But most notably we would thank the people who have consistently and brutally screwed us over for making our skin thick and our desire extreme.
9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
I would make it less jaded. Myspace created a whole new world of 5 minute wonder bands. This can kill a kids budding interest in new music, because they are constantly bombarded with advertisements and friend requests from the band CrunkEyeliner 99.
10. Memorable tour experience?
Oh lordy lord. This would one hundred percent have to be playing in a 18 over bar in Kansas (haha) and each member individually getting drunk and lost. The night ended up with just Adam our guitarist scared and alone somewhere he didn't know and us on a search party through an unfamiliar frat zone city. We eventually found him and on the way back to where we were staying he had to puke. He ended up getting out of the van only to roll down a 20+ foot hill we just happened to stop by. We all were kind of concerned but mainly were laughing. Pictures commenced!
11. What does AP.net mean to you?
For me, it means there is an outlet for people to express their love of underground music and have a place for like minded thinkers to talk about what they love. Plus the reviews are usually dead on.
12. What is your favorite song to play?
"We're Outta Here 89". It has a raw punk vibe to it that makes me feel like Im 15 years old again and I get to run around acting like an asshole. A true plus!
13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
I dig on the Tampa Bay area. A good music scene, beautiful beaches and a gorgeous city. Doesn't get much better! Theoretically, it could be Australia but how would I know. Get me there!
14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
One part Ace of Base and one part Gorilla Biscuits.
15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
That would be the power to see and talk to ghosts. The possibilities really are endless but the short response would be I am scared of ghosts and I want them to get out of my house.
16. Do you feel that your band has "made it"?
In Evansville, Indiana predictably yes. Anywhere else, not by a long shot. We haven't met enough people or loved enough jams.
17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
That nearly my entire life is dedicated to pranks and prank related activities. Besides music and a revolving door of shitty jobs.
18. What's your favorite holiday?
Independence Day. I love the United States AND I get a legit chance and reason to shoot my bandmates with roman candles.
19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
Push my liver to its limits and make silly movies and commercials. My new product is called the "Very Heavy Hat". I don't want to go into now but it keeps you from enjoying your day toooo much.
20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
Nothing practical but apparently I can scare away almost any hint of credibility.