Password

Album Review

Reed KD - In Case the Comet Comes Album Cover

Reed KD - In Case the Comet Comes

Reviewed by
Reed KD - In Case the Comet Comes
Record Label: None
Release Date: May 28, 2009
One clear denotation of a great musical orchestration is, I believe, when a band or artist is able to attract listeners from foreign musical demographics: to force listeners to blur the fine detail of their musical proclivities. In performing a task such as this, the innovation of a concept or style is hardly as important as the ability to reanimate a certain musical genre and create a more flexible tangent to relieve a genre of its restrictions. In his second release In Case the Comet Comes, Reed Dahlmeier, a gifted folk musician, seems to edge near this musical achievement. Mixing the finicky genre's of folk, country western, bluegrass, and pop, all performed with both a respectful subtlety and a fresh ingenuity of modernistic appeal. Though I have been known to enjoy a relatively small amount of folk (very little outside of Bob Dylan and a select few more modern performers), I very rarely find myself enjoying the styling of such instruments as banjos and harmonicas. With this admission of bias against my rural roots as a small-town-Midwesterner, I can wholly commit to enjoying Reed KD's unique blend of these genres.

Another feature of a truly great musical talent is the ability to grow, to progress, and , to sport a cliche, find one's own sound. Though I did rather enjoy Reed KD's first release, The Ashes Bloom, the album had an awkward tendency to betray itself from track to track, never quite sure of its own intent. However, in the sophomore effort, Dahlmeier hones in, laser like, on his true sound, both in instrumentation and lyrical composition. Abandoning the more Kerouacian lyrical approach of his earlier work, In Case the Comet Comes conveys a much more introspective writer. The maturation of the lyrics, I assure you, is accompanied by the album's instrumentation. From beginning to end, there is an obvious improvement in both complexity and meticulous detail, as well as mood-setting.

As time is a growingly sparse commodity, I must apologize for reviewing the album with such vast generality, as a song-by-song review of the album would likely sink the AbsolutePunk server and undoubtedly bore the reader. I hope that, with all that I have wrote, I have illustrated the high regard with which I hold this album. While The Ashes Bloomwas a display of unpolished potential, In Case the Comet Comes is no doubt a sign of blues skies and crowded hootenannies in Reed KD's near future.

Track Listing01. This Is It
02. If the Tide Swings
03. Winding Roads
04. Lake Missouri
05. In the Grass
06. Hippie Chicks
07. Cactus Garden
08. Keep My Bags Packed
09. Space Vacuums
10. Sleepless Nights In Bed
11. Splinters In the Evening

Recommended Tracks If the Tide Swings; Lake Missouri; In the Grass; Keep My Bags Packed; Sleepless Nights in Bed

Recommended If You LikeThe Snake the Cross the Crown; The Prizefighter Inferno; folk music in general

myspace.com/reedkd
This review is a user submitted review from speakhandsforme. You can see all of speakhandsforme's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 3 of 3
01:29 AM on 12/16/09
Adrian Villagomez
Heading Over to See 'Bout This Girl
User Info.
Short and sweet, no need for a song-by-song review. Kudos.

(PS: don't forget to add ratings!)
06:58 PM on 12/21/09
speakhandsforme
Rob the poor to feed the rich
User Info.
Yeah, I'm not sure about the rating: let's just put it on a sliding scale between 88% and the previous -3%

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos