Password

Album Review
Edison Glass - A Burn or a Shiver Album Cover

Edison Glass - A Burn or a Shiver

Reviewed by
Edison Glass - A Burn or a Shiver
Release Date: April 4, 2006
Record Label: Credential Recordings

So far, this year has been (in a sense) one big juxtaposition. Expectations for larger bands and their related releases have fallen short in many respects, while previously unknown bands continue to break through and release impressive offerings to a somewhat unsuspecting public. Now, it could be argued that the new-wave distribution of indie resources has helped facilitate this - with lesser-known bands entering more established studios with well-known producers and the like, but I would actually argue along a different line of thought. I think today's indie music scene is getting to the point where it is sustaining itself, with artists learning and borrowing from one another, but at the same time, creating something wholly compelling they can still call their own. Along these lines, Edison Glass has released A Burn or a Shiver, which is an exclamatory trumpet announcing the arrival of a band that is surely destined for success.

As a band, Edison Glass has a sound that is both familiar and novel - they essentially borrow snippets from other scene players and mash them up in a musical martini shaker that redistributes the influences behind equal veils of originality and tribute. A dissection of this newly created animal reveals some irrefutably strong components - the dueling full-voice tradeoffs/harmonies of Just Surrender (in style only - Edison Glass refreshingly nixes any shades angst), the high-pitched smooth vocals of Circa Survive, Copeland-ish layered falsettos, the ambient, progressive guitar lines of Controlling the Famous or The Kidcrash, and the quasi-Christian lyrics of Mute Math. When these puzzle pieces are all tossed into the mixer, though, the result is still surprisingly fresh, avoiding the stale scent of plagiarism, and hands down a distinct overall sound that can now be identified as simply that of Edison Glass.

The band, while obviously technically proficient, with its headphone-friendly riffs and perennially on-key vocals, is just as impressive in its ability to craft its own brand of deep enough, yet radio-ready math-pop. I have always wondered what The Kidcrash or Controlling the Famous might sound like if they had traditionally appealing vocalists, and embraced the power of the almighty hook. I am guessing (after a few trips to church) that the result would end up sounding something like Edison Glass. From the dance-inspiring bounce of "My Fair One" to the driving, soaring swagger of "Forever," and on into the twinkling guitar clinic of "Starlight" (replete with flashes of Aaron Marsh-style vocal homage), the boys have a fine grasp on how to construct a song that does a dandy job of showing off their skills on their respective instruments as well as the ease with which they exude their potential for mainstream success. These fine elements all culminate with the fan-favorite "In Such a State" - a song that welds together Edison Glass's plural wandering vocal lines with a set of urgent, wandering guitar threads, coming to a head with an undeniably catchy chorus.

In the end, Edison Glass is an excellent new talent. While they marinade their tracks in a little too much Jesus-talk for my liking, the end result is not beyond the appeal threshold of any agnostic or atheist in the least. The lyrics are usually swathed in that nebulous, pronoun-heavy style that leaves the door open to "interpretation" for the less-spiritually-minded of us, but will still shine through to the most devout as well. It will be interesting to see where this band goes in the future - it really could be anywhere. But with their obvious talent and apparent structure of beliefs, it would seem to me that Tooth and Nail has its next signing wrapped up in a ready-made package.

Recommended if you like:Copeland, Circa Survive, Controlling the Famous, Daphne Loves Derby, Nural, Sanctus Real
This review is a user submitted review from Steve Henderson. You can see all of Steve Henderson's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 34
12:51 PM on 06/26/06
YourMusicSucks
True Punk Fan
User Info.
Great review. I was already planning on checking this out, but now I'll apply a bit more effort.
01:18 PM on 06/26/06
TheHeretic
User Info.
I'm gonna check it out. Nice one Steve!
01:29 PM on 06/26/06
Steve Henderson
Retired
User Info.
Originally Posted by YourMusicSucks
Great review. I was already planning on checking this out, but now I'll apply a bit more effort.
Thanks, dude...yeah check em out...tell me what you think.
01:33 PM on 06/26/06
Steve Henderson
Retired
User Info.
Originally Posted by TheHeretic
I'm gonna check it out. Nice one Steve!
Thanks...what happened to your soccer team?
02:10 PM on 06/26/06
TheHeretic
User Info.
Originally Posted by Steve Henderson
Thanks...what happened to your soccer team?

ah don't start. what a mess. and they were robbed so badly....it's a sad day.
02:37 PM on 06/26/06
newfoundnorcal
giving it a little bit more
User Info.
good review. i love this band.
02:43 PM on 06/26/06
Steve Henderson
Retired
User Info.
Originally Posted by newfoundnorcal
good review. i love this band.
I was waiting for this post.
03:19 PM on 06/26/06
thisisadisaster
RICK FROM ALABAMA
User Info.
amazing record. super nice guys.

im glad to see them appearing more and more on ap :)
03:36 PM on 06/26/06
djjazzyjeff
wings|teeth
User Info.
call my lazy and i'll agree, but it would be ace if reviews could include links to the bands site or myspace/purevolume. you know for us lazy people who would be much more inclined to check it out if all it took was clicking.
03:51 PM on 06/26/06
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
i like all the bands you compared them too, but when i listened to their purevolume, it just wasnt doing anything spectacular for me. I think the music is solid, but his voice is what loses me. Well-written review though.
04:01 PM on 06/26/06
Steve Henderson
Retired
User Info.
Originally Posted by djjazzyjeff
call my lazy and i'll agree, but it would be ace if reviews could include links to the bands site or myspace/purevolume. you know for us lazy people who would be much more inclined to check it out if all it took was clicking.
Check out the news post :)

EDIT: I'll try to include it in the body of the review in the future...
04:02 PM on 06/26/06
Ryan Imhof
Registered Member
User Info.
Good review Steve, I really liked it. And thanks for reviewing this.
04:06 PM on 06/26/06
Steve Henderson
Retired
User Info.
Originally Posted by Ryan Imhof
Good review Steve, I really liked it. And thanks for reviewing this.
Thanks, Ryan.
04:06 PM on 06/26/06
djjazzyjeff
wings|teeth
User Info.
Originally Posted by Steve Henderson
Check out the news post :)

EDIT: I'll try to include it in the body of the review in the future...

haha, word. further proving how lazy i am...

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos