AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
For the Fallen Dreams - Relentless Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7.5
Musicianship 8.25
Lyrics 8
Production 7
Creativity 8.5
Lasting Value 8
Reviewer Tilt 8.25
Final Verdict: 79%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8.92
Musicianship 9.08
Lyrics 8.17
Production 8.08
Creativity 8.5
Lasting Value 8.75
Reviewer Tilt 9.33
Average: 87%
Inside AP.net

For the Fallen Dreams - Relentless

Reviewed by: runningfree1 (12/26/09)
For the Fallen Dreams - Relentless
Record Label: Rise
Release Date: July 21, 2009

The sophomore release from For the Fallen Dreams, rightfully named Relentless, is a very solid release for the band that is quickly making a mark on the metal/hardcore scene across the United States. After letting go their original vocalist Chad Ruhlig, they picked up new fresh new vocalist Dylan Richter. Dylan was a great addition to this record in a lot of ways. One way that I noticed the most was that the lyrics improved greatly since the addition of Dylan. He has a different approach to writing then Chad does and I think it fits the style they play a little bit better. But now for the album.

The album itself is a 12-track beauty that is jam packed full of heavy riffs, great guitar work, low growls, and catchy hardcore drum beats. After the intro is finished, the album picks up quickly. "The Call Out Perceptions" is the first track on the album. It showcases the newly acclaimed vocalist very well right off the bat. The song shows not only his screaming talent but his singing voice as well, which wasn't all to bad for all of 10 seconds you hear it. Anyway, the next track that caught my ear was "Nightmares" which features Jeremy McKinnon on guest vocals. The guest vocals are very easily noticed as Jeremy's and fit the song perfectly. Definitley check this one out because, with its catchy chorus, it's probably one of the better tracks on the album.

"December Everyday" is the fifth track on the record, and it's also a pretty good one. This song was the start of where I could hear the same old guitar I heard in the last record. Listen to the first 15 seconds of the song you'll see what I mean. The guitar work is by no means bad, although it is very similar to the last album. Back to "December Everyday", there is a beatdown near the end of the song that stole my ears for about a week, meaning I played this song every time I got in the car. Through the great lyrics during this part, it's clear that Dylan is fed up with some aspects of his life, and he does a great job of turning his experiences and feelings into words.

"Defiance" is a great follow-up song to "December". The part that really took me the most was the breakdown at the end of the song. There is a great drum intro to the part that really explodes into a powerful in-your-face breakdown. It's easily the heaviest song on the album. I also took a liking to "Two Twenty Two", A heavy, but a very fast-paced beat song. It has some catchy lyrics as some sort of chant in the song that I really enjoyed.

"Smoke Signals" was a song I had listened to before I listened to this album. It was cool to hear the quality of the song improve 100%. The song is about five minuets long, but definitely worth the listen. This song showcases the drumming by Andrew Tkaczyk. "In Sincerity" seemed to be an instrumental song for the first minute and a half of the song, until it picked up and I heard some singing. It's the worst track on the album. "The Pain Loss" is the closing track. It was a very boring song until it reaches near the end, which is filled with what seems a very heartfelt singing stint that Dylan does over a beautiful guitar solo.

This album was truly Relentless. That's open to interpretation, but really, this was a great album, a very solid release for the bands second effort. We'll see where this takes them.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 17.
10:38 AM on 01/03/10
kevinAIWW
boner boner boner boner boner boner
User Info.
"This song was the start of where I could hear the same old guitar I heard in the last record. Listen to the first 15 seconds of the song you'll see what I mean. The guitar work is by no means bad, although it is very similar to the last album."

It's their style bud. I've known these guys for years. You don't see The Devil Wears Prada trying to sound any different. And everyone still loves it. That seems a little bit like an invalid point.
02:38 AM on 01/04/10
Alex1410
User Info.
I found this album really boring to be honest
09:15 AM on 01/04/10
kevinAIWW
User Info.
I found this album really boring to be honest
Go see em live. That'll change your mind.
02:53 PM on 01/04/10
Alex1410
User Info.
Go see em live. That'll change your mind.

it probably would, im easily swayed!
05:52 PM on 01/04/10
kevinAIWW
User Info.
it probably would, im easily swayed!
I just did on the 18th. And I was REALLY drawn into it.
11:05 PM on 01/04/10
rpk004
User Info.
like both their albums but for different reasons but i probably like changes a little better.
12:18 AM on 01/05/10
Akissforher
City Love
User Info.
i had no idea they had a different singer on this record, they sound the same, solid record.
08:20 AM on 01/05/10
kevinAIWW
User Info.
i had no idea they had a different singer on this record, they sound the same, solid record.
I know I was surprised to. But once you listen to them after you know you can hear the difference. The old vocalist is a lot better. But the new guy isn't shabby at all either.
10:12 AM on 01/05/10
runningfree1
User Info.
"This song was the start of where I could hear the same old guitar I heard in the last record. Listen to the first 15 seconds of the song you'll see what I mean. The guitar work is by no means bad, although it is very similar to the last album."

It's their style bud. I've known these guys for years. You don't see The Devil Wears Prada trying to sound any different. And everyone still loves it. That seems a little bit like an invalid point.
Never said I didn't like it man. Haha. I understand what you mean, I probably should have gone a bit deeper into this topic. I love the guitar work a lot in this album. Great album though, one of my favorite bands. Still yet to see them. They have canceled twice in Omaha. Need to see them this yea
11:05 AM on 01/05/10
Atell
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I didnt like it too much until I saw them live, they put on a good show.
01:30 PM on 01/05/10
kevinAIWW
User Info.
Never said I didn't like it man. Haha. I understand what you mean, I probably should have gone a bit deeper into this topic. I love the guitar work a lot in this album. Great album though, one of my favorite bands. Still yet to see them. They have canceled twice in Omaha. Need to see them this yea
Yeah dude. They played a surprise show in Covington KY when I drove two hours down there to see For Today. The Canadian date got canceled so they said fuck it we'll drive to KY. Then later last month in my hometown. So I got to see them two times last month. MORE than worth every penny.

They're incredible live, man. You need to strive to go places to see them.
02:32 PM on 01/05/10
runningfree1
User Info.
Yeah dude. They played a surprise show in Covington KY when I drove two hours down there to see For Today. The Canadian date got canceled so they said fuck it we'll drive to KY. Then later last month in my hometown. So I got to see them two times last month. MORE than worth every penny.

They're incredible live, man. You need to strive to go places to see them.
Yeah dude. Well, I booked that Sworn Enemy tour they were on and they pulled out last second. Next tour that they do that comes within 300 miles of Omaha, i'll be there. Haha.
08:21 AM on 01/06/10
kevinAIWW
User Info.
Yeah dude. Well, I booked that Sworn Enemy tour they were on and they pulled out last second. Next tour that they do that comes within 300 miles of Omaha, i'll be there. Haha.
Worth every inch. The dudes are nice too. Signed all my shit.
06:51 AM on 01/11/10
PureBlueSF
ur not even pop punk
User Info.
A Plethora Of and The Pain Loss are my favorite songs on here. Great album.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests