AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Star Fucking Hipsters - Never Rest in Peace Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.5
Musicianship 8.75
Lyrics 8.25
Production 7.5
Creativity 8
Lasting Value 7.25
Reviewer Tilt 8
Final Verdict: 80%
Member Ratings
Vocals 7.75
Musicianship 8.25
Lyrics 7.5
Production 8.5
Creativity 6.75
Lasting Value 7
Reviewer Tilt 8
Average: 77%
Inside AP.net

Star Fucking Hipsters - Never Rest in Peace

Reviewed by: Schmidty Says (01/12/10)
Star Fucking Hipsters - Never Rest in Peace
Record Label: Alternative Tentacles
Release Date: October 20, 2009

Who?

Star Fucking Hipsters are a punk super-group from New York. Comprised of members of Leftover Crack, Degenerics, and Casa de Chihuahua as well as guest performers from Hold Steady, Ensign, Big Attack!, Awkward Thought, and Aloke. Star Fucking Hipsters are here to let you know how they feel about American politics in a way that Rise Against and Anti-Flag can never come close to touching.

How Is It?

Pretty damn good. Sturg's vocals are as gritty as ever, and sound better than they did with Leftover Crack. Sharing vocal duties, Nico de Gallo's vocals add a good contrast to Sturg's grittiness. Musically, the band sounds tight, whether it's playing the street punk found on "Design," the ska-punk "The Civilization Show," or the pop-punk of "3000 Miles Away." Lyrically, Sturg and Nico attack American politics, ("When we gonna grow up and accept responsibilty?" from "The Civilization Show") and they really hit home on songs such as "Church and Rape" and "Banned From the Land," the former about a woman's right to choose and the latter about Native American rights. Star Fucking Hipsters convey their anti-politics in such a way that you're never bored listening to the album, which can't be said about Rise Against (Appeal To Reason, seriously?). Give them a listen, you may just find a new favorite band.

Recommended If You LikeSka-tinged punk; Leftover Crack; Citizen Fish; Choking Victim

http://www.myspace.com/starfuckinghipsters

Displaying posts 1 - 5 of 5
01:58 AM on 01/13/10
Daveyhavok832
O.G.
User Info.
I had trouble tracking the actual hard copies down but I'm ordering their two albums this week. I had a friend in college who was into Leftover Crack and so I checked these folks out and they're pretty enjoyable.
04:32 AM on 01/13/10
failedXromance
User Info.
i had never heard of this band before. good shit
05:06 PM on 01/15/10
heyzombiehitler
has feelings
User Info.
i thought this was a huge step backward for them. but "Until We're Dead" is still one of my favorite albums.
09:30 PM on 01/15/10
Schmidty Says
Bitch Better Have My Honey!
User Info.
i thought this was a huge step backward for them. but "Until We're Dead" is still one of my favorite albums.
I hadn't heard Until We're Dead. This release was my intro to the band. I'll have to check it out.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums