AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Plushgun - Pins & Panzers Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 4.75
Musicianship 4.5
Lyrics 5.5
Production 3.25
Creativity 5.75
Lasting Value 3.5
Reviewer Tilt 6
Final Verdict: 48%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.

Plushgun - Pins & Panzers

Reviewed by: masterchiefx12 (01/17/10)
Plushgun - Pins & Panzers
Record Label: Tommy Boy Ent.
Release Date: February 17, 2009

You've probably never heard of Plushgun. I regret to say that I left my encounter with the Brooklyn-based, indie-pop trio up to chance. A pink CD case came across my desk about thirteen months ago labeled: Pins & Panzers Ashamedly, if it weren't for the appealing cover art of Patrick Smith, of Daria fame, I would have never made my way through the entire thirty-nine minutes in one piece. Call me superficial—I don't care—that's what happened. The album's first impression was good, not great; it took me over a year to dig that one back up—but I'm so thankful for second chances.

Daniel Ingala penned the band's first hit, "Just Impolite," and posted it to his myspace in the summer of 2008. Shortly after, Ingala recruited two of his friends, Matt Bogdanow and Taylor Armstrong, for live shows. Of course, the rest is history. With two music videos and a spot in the foreign film, Zweiohrküken, on the resumé, Plushgun is looking to make their mark in 2010.

"Dancing In A Minefield" introduces the album by way of a slow-moving hook that transforms into the much faster drum line—typical of today's electronica. The forceful "How We Roll" is definitely a favorite track, supplementing undertones of a familiar teenage setting to the addictive chorus ("this is how we roll: the suburban pioneers"). Enter subtle hand-clapping and a basic ukulele riff on "Let Me Kiss You (And I'll Fade Away)" for a well-rounded first record. Other regalities include "Without A Light," and "An Aria." The transition between these two final tracks showcases Ingala's songwriting credibility, as well as the bands diversity. The overall rebellious nature of this album recalls awkward conversations between nerds and cheerleaders during the final days of high school.

In a time where Owl City rules the airwaves, it's hard to imagine Plushgun ever getting any airplay on a major station, but perhaps that isn't the goal. For a complete agenda, follow Ingala's blog (generationplush.blogspot.com). Pins & Panzers contains about three to four songs worth hearing again, but that's not a shot at the band's integrity—I look forward to more. Look for Plushgun on tour in the US this year, and pray they will return to CMJ next fall.

Recommended If You LikeHellogoodby; Peachcake; Lydia

myspace.com/plushgun

Displaying posts 1 - 8 of 8
02:44 AM on 01/26/10
ilovesofie
was I good to you, wife of my youth
User Info.
You can't be serious? I love that record so freaking much. Also, you don't seem to find the album that bad as you represent in the score.
07:29 AM on 01/26/10
Charblarger
User Info.
Harsh Review. I like the album. but that's just my opinion.
07:59 AM on 01/26/10
QuietThings430
Stop liking things.
User Info.
Is it just me, or is absolutepunk starting to hate anything with a synthesizer?
09:33 AM on 01/26/10
Betrayal Five
Betrayal Five
User Info.
You can't be serious? I love that record so freaking much. Also, you don't seem to find the album that bad as you represent in the score.
I agree. Harsh review. Such a good album. I miss Postal Service and I don't listen to that "Fireflies" band, at all. This was a welcomed addition. All thanks to Shazam on my iPHONE I found out who this band was.
07:50 PM on 01/26/10
PopPunkKid
extremely old username
User Info.
Imo, these guys are great. My band played our 2nd show ever with these guys, and they really bring it live as well.

Just Polite, How We Roll, and Let Me Kiss You Now are highly recommended.
05:52 PM on 01/28/10
jared2615
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I don't agree with your review at all. You wasted your time to be negative and I hope you feel better at least. I personally know Taylor through high school and can tell you that he has worked hard in this band. Taylor and the rest of the band are driven musicians and I look to them as inspirations to always reach for the stars. This review is not even fair. It is clear you don't like the genre and should have spent the time listening to something else you might like instead of writing this awful review.
02:26 AM on 02/06/10
Angel of Anubis
User Info.
Not going to lie this is probably one of the most awful reviews I've read thus far on this site.
Owl City has got nothing on Plushgun, I worked at a college radio station for 3 years and in my last year this came across my desk and became an instant favorite. Not to mention Owl City traipsed on to the scene almost a year after this CD even hit charts.
Don't tell me you dislike a song, I want to know why. What was it about PLushgun that deterred you so greatly from their work.
I think that their music not to mention great personalities (phone interview) not to mention an active voice in the East Coast LGBT Community says a lot about their prowess as a band.
I can only hope they have the energy to release another album soon.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests