AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Past Lives - Tapestry of Webs Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.5
Musicianship 9
Lyrics 7.5
Production 9
Creativity 8.75
Lasting Value 8
Reviewer Tilt 8.5
Final Verdict: 85%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8.5
Musicianship 9
Lyrics 8.25
Production 8.5
Creativity 9
Lasting Value 8.5
Reviewer Tilt 8.75
Average: 86%

Past Lives - Tapestry of Webs

Reviewed by: Adam Pfleider (02/23/10)
Past Lives - Tapestry of Webs
Record Label: Suicide Sqeeze
Release Date: February 23, 2010

When John Lydon walked away from the Sex Pistols, the godfather of punk built a creative vehicle outside the realm of what his once loyal fans knew him to create, leading post-punk pioneers Public Image Ltd. Past Lives is like the Blood Brothers' Public Image Ltd., as their debut Tapestry of Webs will catch many an old fan off guard, and settle nicely with those who have grown just as the artists themselves have.

That is the only Blood Brothers reference I will make.

The album is a slow pop burn, building gradually, but never boiling over. It rides a thin line of indie sensationalism and late '80s underground mod buried somewhere beneath at least one Talking Heads record, if not blazed across their entire catalog. The thing about Tapestry of Webs is its return appeal. After a few listens - and believe me, it takes a few - choral lines stick and what is unconventional to the masses becomes conventional to those who understand the album's structure.

Jordan Blilie sounds sharp. His vocals are brooding in every sense of the word. He never freaks out and only heightens any feeling built by the rest of the band with the opening "Paralyzer," the choral "Past Lives" and the toe-tapping "Hospital White." The only time he seems to hit a rising mercury level is on "Hex Takes Hold," and it feels right for the salsa number's appeal.

Many will not have the patience to contend with the band's sound. Tracks such as the weightless "Deep in the Valley" and the closing "There Is a Light So Bright It Blinds," help to break up some of the motion, but could steer some from the danceable and rhythmic course most of the album lends itself to.

Tapestry of Webs makes the band's debut EP seem like forgotten practice demos. Across the board, the album displays acts of jazz, salsa and anti-post-pop (if that's a word), and it all leaves the listener coming back for more. Past Lives have built a more sound structure of the members' once abrasive behavior.

Okay, so two references.

Tracklist1. Paralyzer*
2. Falling Spikes
3. Past Lives*
4. Don't Let the Ashes Fill Your Eyes
5. Deep in the Valley
6. K Hole
7. Hex Takes Hold*
8. Vanishing Twin
9. Hospital White*
10. At Rest
11. Aerosol Bouquet
12. There is a Light So Bright it Blinds

*key tracks

Recommended If You Like Sonic Youth's Sonic Nurse; Public Image Ltd.'s Public Image Ltd.; Talking Heads' Fear of Music

Past Lives on Myspace

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 25
03:00 AM on 02/23/10
princesschad
sowing season
User Info.
I may have to check this out just based on the sonic youth/talking heads riyl. sonic nurse is such an amazing album.
09:11 AM on 02/23/10
lovelesscrux
(wanted with the southside)
User Info.
Never heard of them, going to give them a listen.
07:16 PM on 02/23/10
tommy's ghost
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Very solid album.
07:41 PM on 02/23/10
Daigle lol
don't tell me what I can't do!
User Info.
This is such a good CD. Has very subtle Blood Brothers elements without sounding anything like them at the same time. Very good review.
09:19 AM on 02/24/10
danielineffigy
Calm will find your soul.
User Info.
I love this album, been listening to the LP constantly since I got it last week.
12:51 PM on 02/24/10
HometownHero
User Info.
This is a review I can get down with
12:56 PM on 02/24/10
barkingincision
i am white rune
User Info.
so hard for me to get into, but i really want to. i listen to a lot of experimental shit, so i hope this will grow on me.
01:05 PM on 02/24/10
GoWaitInTheCar
The World Won't Listen.
User Info.
Will look into this sooner then later.
02:07 PM on 02/24/10
yellowhouse
there's a lot of beauty, sometimes
User Info.
Such a good album.
02:55 PM on 02/24/10
Adam Pfleider
wait. what were we talking about?
User Info.
so hard for me to get into, but i really want to. i listen to a lot of experimental shit, so i hope this will grow on me.
honestly, it was for me too...again, I have to stress the fact that it takes a couple listens. it'll be a surprise if you don't have a few chorus lines in your head...then again, it may not be your cup of tea...eh...
03:56 PM on 02/24/10
barkingincision
i am white rune
User Info.
honestly, it was for me too...again, I have to stress the fact that it takes a couple listens. it'll be a surprise if you don't have a few chorus lines in your head...then again, it may not be your cup of tea...eh...
i listened to them again today, and it was a lot better than last time. i will end up dwnlding it at some point.
04:40 PM on 02/24/10
DogSizedBird
User Info.
I absolutely love this album, as well as the new Jaguar Love album - And those two albums couldn't be more different. These guys will make good music no matter what band they're in.
09:24 PM on 02/24/10
marchintothesea
User Info.
i think this is an awesome album, much better than anything jaguar loves put out in my opinion
02:30 AM on 02/25/10
Mattylikesfilms
If You Dig Up The Dead...
User Info.
very short.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music