Password

Album Review

Subb - The Motions Album Cover

Subb - The Motions

Reviewed by
Subb - The Motions
Release Date: April 18th, 2006
Record Label: Stomp Records

You will find that the current state of the ska scene is vastly different in the mind of one listener to another, and while some may say the once burning flame has died out, others will leap with excitement at the chance to proclaim their joy at the plethora of releases from new acts hitting shelves. However, as breathtaking as contemporary faces prove to be, there aren't too many thrills that can come close to competing with a new release from a tried and tested success story. In the case of Montreal, Quebec's ska-punk heroes, Subb, a ditch has been dug time and time again, one so appealing that any listener should feel honoured to slide into. With their latest release, The Motions, Subb once again swallow listeners with their appealing formula, a perfectly arranged fusion of ska and melodic punk rock similar to the likes of The Suicide Machines, Morning Glory, and more.

However, the burning question in the mind of any listener examines the odds of what to expect from an acts forthcoming effort, all the while with fingers crossed hoping for a masterpieces. While these Motions may not top the charts in terms of originality or groundbreaking compositions, Subb has without a doubt, recaptured my attention, and moreso my praise. The album contains sixteen blistering tracks, ranging from dance-worthy, upbeat ska sing-alongs, to rowdy punk rock anthems leaving listeners craving more.

The record opens with "A Little More Chomsky (A Little Less of You and Me)", a fast-paced punk gem that literally begs for fans fists in the air. It's evident within the first minute alone that proper production and clean tones fit the bands sound well, as Subb have never sounded better. Following the fist-pumper comes the records title track and first single, "The Motions." It's no exaggeration in saying this album is worth the cost of purchase for this track alone, as the band performs one of the worlds most infectious, appealing ska songs with ease. As a matter of fact, the chorus (which features lead vocalist Jeff Quensel broadcasting "We've all been going through the motions for way too long") is undoubtedly one of the records strongest hooks. The chord progressions are simple, the patterns are basic, and the lyrics aren't exactly reinventing the wheel, but this is evidently a recipe that has suited Subb's efforts, and there isn't the slightest chance that any listener could ask for more alluring work.

Moving ahead, listeners will find themselves dancing along to other brilliant efforts including "Tattoo", "I've Got It All Wrong", "No Need To Stay", and "Quarter To Seven", which all stand as fantastic examples of the ska revival art the band is going for. However, while each track and every track proves to be more than refreshing in its own light, it's a challenge not to notice the similarities betwen songs. It seems that while Subb has brewed a concoction that is bound for success, the formula might be a tad bit redudant. This is the lone factor that will make or break the band for music listeners, as a whole, and evidently determine the fate of The Motions impact on the industry. It seems that fans of fun, yet predictable ska jams and raunchy punk rock anthems will fall in love with the group, while listeners in search of innovative, original work might prefer to look elsewhere. However, one thing is for certain, anyone whose ears have welcomed the bands sound with open arms will be in for a treat.

In conclusion, as with any release, preference, tastes, and expectations will establish the albums reception. But, let it be known that Subb has recreated what made this listener fall in love in the first place, and they have undoubtedly crafted one of the best ska albums of the year. Where the bands previous work paid more attention to the melodic, punk rock side of things, these Motions will have the rude boys and girls raving. The lyrics are inspirational, the melodies are beautiful, and the presentation is fantastic. Congratulations, Subb! You've done it again.

For Fans OfThe Suicide Machines, Morning Glory, Less Than Jake, and Goldfinger
ListenMySpace | pureVOLUME | Official Website
This review is a user submitted review from Brandon Allin. You can see all of Brandon Allin's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 5 of 5
10:52 AM on 07/27/06
tearjerker
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Subb is getting old. I've heard bits and pieces (mainly live tracks) of the new record and I agree with the statement that Subb is getting a bit redundant. I live in Montréal and I grew up with their music ruling the local scene with the long forgotten band Reset (the ashes of Simple Plan) and I think Subb has had serious problems reinventing themselves. Their previous effort "Daylight Saving" was good and catchy ... but forgettable. And that's the feeling that the new tracks leave on me.
11:45 AM on 07/27/06
Brandon Allin
Stay Ready
User Info.
Originally Posted by tearjerker
Subb is getting old. I've heard bits and pieces (mainly live tracks) of the new record and I agree with the statement that Subb is getting a bit redundant. I live in Montréal and I grew up with their music ruling the local scene with the long forgotten band Reset (the ashes of Simple Plan) and I think Subb has had serious problems reinventing themselves. Their previous effort "Daylight Saving" was good and catchy ... but forgettable. And that's the feeling that the new tracks leave on me.
Personally, I feel that this is a step up from anything the band has done before, so I highly recommend that you give it a listen. Although it's nothing too far outside the box, in comparison to their older work, it's still a solid effort that I feel deserves the score I gave it. :)

Be sure to let me know what you think of it when you hear the album.
07:26 PM on 07/27/06
airguitar1982
User Info.
The Highstep to Hell in my opinion is their best work.
03:59 PM on 09/13/06
JoPunx
User Info.
Great album !

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News