Password

Album Review

Gasoline Heart - You Know Who You Are Album Cover

Gasoline Heart - You Know Who You Are

Reviewed by
Gasoline HeartYou Know Who You Are
Release Date: August 1, 2006
Label: Mono Vs. Stereo

Gasoline Heart reminds me of Liars Academy, a lot. I suspect that first sentence got more than a few of you interested. Alright, well let’s see if you stick around after this one. You Know Who You Are is more Demons than No News Is Good News. For the four of you still here, you’ll be amply rewarded. While Demons was an acknowledged failure, the same formula works for Gasoline Heart two years later and on a label not quite as pigeon-holed as Equal Vision. This Florida five-piece’s debut album is full of barstool sing-alongs and jangly Americana.

Striking you first, is the smokey rasp of Louis Defabrizio. It’s likely the closest thing to Springsteen the Alternative Press readership has at the moment. Shades of younger, more enunciated Boss show up throughout the album, but effervesce on the goodtime anthem, “Cheers (Here’s To Life)”. Defabrizio’s songwriting isn’t going to get him mentioned in the same circles as Dylan or for the younger, coffeeshop set, Oberst. However, his knack for writing memorable (be they predictable) hooks without dumbing down the message is not lost on the listener. The coming-of-age slow push of “That Girl” and the tear in my beer strum of “Rumors, Rumors”, the most notable examples.

The gaggle of musicians that Defabrizio has backing him in Gasoline Heart aren’t your typical spikey-haired three chord players or frantic, shaved-head drummers. Everything from a fiddle, to a mandolin, to a mellotron (whatever the hell that is) gets strummed, stroked, plucked, or punched on You Know Who You Are. The resulting cocktail of southern-rock instrumentation and Defrabrizio’s respective demons makes this one of the best, most earnest rock albums in recent memory.

If there were a Liars Academy, I’d graduate at the top of my class: “Cheers (Here’s To Life)”, “Rumors, Rumors”

Light a match, for this heart deserves to burn: Liars Academy, The Obsoletes, Bruce Springsteen
This review is a user submitted review from Russ Hockenbury. You can see all of Russ Hockenbury's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 12 of 12
05:48 PM on 08/10/06
dukeboy1986
...is well Heeled!
User Info.
I can't seem to find this album anywhere.
06:00 PM on 08/10/06
Russ Hockenbury
with special guest
User Info.
12:42 AM on 08/11/06
fire on my lips
COME ON YOU SPURS
User Info.

thanks, I'm buying this album as soon as I see it. I loved the songs on myspace.

Good review btw.

The reply function is sort of weird with the ratings. I hope I don't fuck with the user ratings by responding.
12:43 AM on 08/11/06
fire on my lips
COME ON YOU SPURS
User Info.

thanks, I'm buying this album as soon as I see it. I loved the songs on myspace.

Good review btw.
11:04 AM on 08/11/06
Julia Conny
"Julia HurriConny"
User Info.
love the liars academy reference.
04:15 PM on 08/11/06
PEGS
PastedWings
User Info.
Louis is the man! The Kick rocked my socks off, and Gasoline Heart is just as phenomenal...Everytime I hear "All the Way", my dancing shoes start-up! Straight-up good fun rock n' roll! buy this album!!!!
10:07 PM on 08/11/06
Chris Fallon
Boom.
User Info.
love the liars academy reference.

Ditto.
03:04 PM on 08/16/06
IcedOpethBlind
Houston Sports.
User Info.
this album is awesome.
11:44 AM on 08/18/06
tacosforcharles
User Info.
Just got this album in the mail (bestbuy.com)...it's amazing. I love it! Great review too.
02:58 PM on 11/30/06
melvicious
oh.
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
03:10 PM on 12/01/06
heyjohnnyfive
johnholcomb.com
User Info.
great review. I love Gasoline Heart and Liars Academy.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos