Username
Password
News - Page 2
Displaying posts 15 - 24 of 24.
06:00 PM on 04/01/10
JTMcKrackles
I'm not sad anymore
User Info.
Fantastic band. Who We Are is so good, I'll definitely check this out, but I think I'll wait for my preorder to arrive.
11:51 PM on 04/01/10
thespungo
User Info.
I discovered this band right after Who We Are came out, which I really enjoyed, and I also really liked last year's EP. But who's the guy they've got screaming on this new record? I really don't care for him whatsoever. Why'd they feel to add that guy? Was he always in the band but just never "sang" before?

I really prefer the slick vocals on the EP, rather than the gruff ones on the new record. The song "Five Out of Five Kids Who Kill Love Slayer" really sticks out to me as being substantially better on last year's EP. Not only are that gruff guy's vocals just horrendus, but even the lead singer's vocals don't sound as good as they have on the previous two records -- was this a purposeful choice made by the band? Is this some new direction they're going towards? If that's so, get it but I just don't care for it.

Kinda reminds me of when Less Than Jake made the bad choice to re-record an inferior version of "Look What Happened" on Anthem.

Anyway, I was really looking forward to this release, but if this is the direction this band is taking, I don't think I'll be too interested any more.
04:57 AM on 04/02/10
So-Crates
Registered Member
User Info.
Love this album
10:10 AM on 04/02/10
john_YDG
Great Repitition
User Info.
their so good. im going to their cd release tomorrow. theres a huge suprise i guess. rumors of the suicide machines playing!
03:10 PM on 04/02/10
Ryan Gardner
User Info.
Never heard of them, checked this out, loving it!
05:46 PM on 04/02/10
Griff
It's getting fucking dark.
User Info.
Excellent
09:41 PM on 04/03/10
DearShithead
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I discovered this band right after Who We Are came out, which I really enjoyed, and I also really liked last year's EP. But who's the guy they've got screaming on this new record? I really don't care for him whatsoever. Why'd they feel to add that guy? Was he always in the band but just never "sang" before?

I really prefer the slick vocals on the EP, rather than the gruff ones on the new record. The song "Five Out of Five Kids Who Kill Love Slayer" really sticks out to me as being substantially better on last year's EP. Not only are that gruff guy's vocals just horrendus, but even the lead singer's vocals don't sound as good as they have on the previous two records -- was this a purposeful choice made by the band? Is this some new direction they're going towards? If that's so, get it but I just don't care for it.

Kinda reminds me of when Less Than Jake made the bad choice to re-record an inferior version of "Look What Happened" on Anthem.

Anyway, I was really looking forward to this release, but if this is the direction this band is taking, I don't think I'll be too interested any more.
I'm pretty sure that's Matt, their trombonist, singing. Personally, I dig it.
11:55 AM on 04/05/10
thespungo
User Info.
I'm pretty sure that's Matt, their trombonist, singing. Personally, I dig it.
I can't fault you for liking a rougher sound, there's definitely some of that in today's ska/punk scene, I can understand the appeal. But this guy is just so off-putting, it's almost as if he's singing off key a lot of the time. Even the singer doesn't sound as good as he did on previous albums, which is mostly why I'm so confused by this new album -- they used to be a better sounding band, in terms of vocals and production.

Do you or anyone else know why they've changed their sound for this album? Are their live shows more reminiscent of this new album, in that the trombone guy sings more and less emphasis is put on the vocals?

I've been listening to them for years, but I've never seen them live so I really have no idea what kinds of musicians these guys are. Has this band always been a little "rough around the edges" and they've just now put out a studio album that represents that, or did they make a conscious choice to tone down the production values and vocals in the studio?
05:27 PM on 04/05/10
DearShithead
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I can't fault you for liking a rougher sound, there's definitely some of that in today's ska/punk scene, I can understand the appeal. But this guy is just so off-putting, it's almost as if he's singing off key a lot of the time. Even the singer doesn't sound as good as he did on previous albums, which is mostly why I'm so confused by this new album -- they used to be a better sounding band, in terms of vocals and production.

Do you or anyone else know why they've changed their sound for this album? Are their live shows more reminiscent of this new album, in that the trombone guy sings more and less emphasis is put on the vocals?

I've been listening to them for years, but I've never seen them live so I really have no idea what kinds of musicians these guys are. Has this band always been a little "rough around the edges" and they've just now put out a studio album that represents that, or did they make a conscious choice to tone down the production values and vocals in the studio?
I've never seen them live either, but judging by the live videos I've seen, yeah, their new album is very reminiscent of their live show in exactly the way you said.

Other than that, I don't really think their sound has changed too much (I do miss the saxophone). I definitely don't think Reed sings worse than he did on Who We Are.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests