AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Secret & Whisper - Teenage Fantasy Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 9.25
Musicianship 8.5
Lyrics 6.5
Production 8.25
Creativity 6
Lasting Value 7.75
Reviewer Tilt 8.5
Final Verdict: 78%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8.88
Musicianship 8.77
Lyrics 7.78
Production 8.66
Creativity 8.22
Lasting Value 8.47
Reviewer Tilt 8.62
Average: 85%
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.

Secret & Whisper - Teenage Fantasy

Reviewed by: Drew Beringer (04/04/10)
Secret & WhisperTeenage Fantasy
Release Date: April 6, 2010
Record Label: Tooth & Nail

Is it considered “biting” when the band in question does it better than the original? In the case of Secret & Whisper’s new album, Teenage Fantasy, I say no. While Saosin popularized the style (high-pitched singing backed by ultra-fast guitar riffs and power chords), the band formerly known as Stutterfly has improved upon it. It’s also not fair to compare this album to Saosin since their last release was a dump of a record. So let’s just get it out of the way. Teenage Fantasy is as high-octane as albums come: it’s furiously in your face and can hold its own within this genre, as Charles Furney’s vocals are a cross between Cove Reber and Anthony Green.

In fact, Teenage Fantasy would have been the record that a Green-led Saosin would have created. After being delayed constantly, the album will not disappoint fans. Opening track, “Youth Cats” begins with Furney crooning over David Ecker and Jason Ciolli’s spastic guitar riffs, developing into a huge chorus. “Warrior (Southern Arrowwood)” features riffs underneath the thunderous percussion of drummer Ryan Loerke, while Furney's voice hits ridiculous highs during the chorus of “Bedroom Galaxy.”

But Teenage Fantasy also lets up on the gas a bit, as “Tiny Sparkle” and “Edge of Wilderness” feature the progressive nature of Circa Survive. The rip-roaring “Famous For A Century” destroys everything in its path, much like Terry Crews in that one commercial. “Pretty Snarl” leads perfectly into the piercingly melodic “Star Blankets,” while sobriety and intensity are balanced nicely on “Whale Bones.” The weakest part of the album is Furney’s lyrics, as they are fairly pedestrian. But when a band can create songs like “Silver Mountain,” a composition that fully encompasses the listener, you tend to forget the lyrical shortcomings.

It’s fairly evident that Teenage Fantasy possesses quite more edge than its predecessor Great White Whale. It’s a hell of a rocker, full of crunching guitar riffs and slick production. Not to mention, Charles Furney has a fantastic voice. On this record, perhaps Secret & Whisper realized that to stop people from comparing them to Saosin, they’d have to be better than Saosin. And on Teenage Fantasy, they accomplish that convincingly and more.

Additional InformationTrack Listing:
1. Youth Cats
2. Warrior (Southern Arrowwood)
3. Bedroom Galaxy
4. Tiny Sparkle
5. Famous For A Century
6. Edge of Wilderness
7. Pretty Snarl
8. Star Blankets
9. Blush
10. Whale Bones
11. Silver Mountain
Produced by: Andreas Magnusson

Secret & Whisper is:
Charles Furney – vocals
David Ecker – guitar
Jordan Chase – bass
Jason Ciolli – guitar
Ryan Loerke – drums

Official Myspace; Official AP.net Profile; Official Twitter Page

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 143.
10:56 PM on 04/04/10
Shakriel
I just need reassurance.
User Info.
I really like this album. It might not be much different from their last, but I am quite ok with that.
10:58 PM on 04/04/10
vivatoto56
Nice Try, The Devil
User Info.
I hated their first album and thought that their newer tracks were a yawn. Pretty cliched.

But this is a pretty positive review and I typically respect your opinions.

Anyone else got thoughts on this album to help me decide whether its worth a listen. Cause this put it on my list.
11:06 PM on 04/04/10
aradiantsunrise
i'm not as dumb as i am
User Info.
Good album. Hopefully next album they come up with a totally original sound though.
11:13 PM on 04/04/10
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor | @drewberinger | Locked Groove
User Info.
Good album. Hopefully next album they come up with a totally original sound though.
is Saosin the only band allowed to use this style? A lot of music isn't original these days, it's how a band executes it and presents it.
11:17 PM on 04/04/10
aradiantsunrise
i'm not as dumb as i am
User Info.
is Saosin the only band allowed to use this style? A lot of music isn't original these days, it's how a band executes it and presents it.
Well I don't mean it in that sense, it's just going to be annoying seeing all these people compare them to Saosin and Circa even more so after they hear this. I would just like to see them attempt something different the next time, maybe go a little more experimental or something. I agree that they did it better than Saosin this time around but I just want to see what else they are capable of doing.
11:18 PM on 04/04/10
Nick Le
Yeezy taught me.
User Info.
Haven't listened to this yet, but I'm looking forward to checking this out. Good review.

Edit: It's pretty awesome; Loving this album quite a bit.
11:19 PM on 04/04/10
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor | @drewberinger | Locked Groove
User Info.
Well I don't mean it in that sense, it's just going to be annoying seeing all these people compare them to Saosin and Circa even more so after they hear this. I would just like to see them attempt something different the next time, maybe go a little more experimental or something. I agree that they did it better than Saosin this time around but I just want to see what else they are capable of doing.
okay, I can agree with them getting a bit more experimental. I think they did tinker with a few more things this time around than on their debut. Songs like Silver Mountain and Tiny Sparkle for example.
11:29 PM on 04/04/10
aradiantsunrise
i'm not as dumb as i am
User Info.
okay, I can agree with them getting a bit more experimental. I think they did tinker with a few more things this time around than on their debut. Songs like Silver Mountain and Tiny Sparkle for example.
It would be great if they did more songs like those two, I love the various sounds in them. It's weird though, when I listen to the experimental-ish SAW songs, it feels like I'm underwater. It's such a cool feeling. haha.
03:32 AM on 04/05/10
emoboy333
User Info.
To me, they sound like Circa Survive crossed with Mew. I agree it's in the same line as their debut but it's still an amazing record!
05:03 AM on 04/05/10
Smeee
AP.net's Resident Staryu
User Info.
Good review. I'm really enjoying this album. Do kinda wish they quietened down a bit more on some tracks and went more ambient/experimental though.
05:37 AM on 04/05/10
brothaman
is too legit to quit.
User Info.
god i HATE when people do this.
Meeze
PropertyOfZack.com
User Info.
so stoked for this!
brothaman
is too legit to quit.
User Info.
this. this this this.
05:40 AM on 04/05/10
holybatmon
Unregistered User
User Info.
I'm getting bored of your reviews, Drew. There's no creativity, they're all the same structure and you've used pretty much every adjective in the book about 5 times. Yaaaaawwwnnn.

Anyway, I want this.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests