AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Violent Soho - Violent Soho Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7.5
Musicianship 8
Lyrics 7.5
Production 8.25
Creativity 5
Lasting Value 7
Reviewer Tilt 7.25
Final Verdict: 72%
Member Ratings
Vocals 7.5
Musicianship 7
Lyrics 7
Production 7.75
Creativity 7
Lasting Value 6.75
Reviewer Tilt 8
Average: 73%
Inside AP.net

Violent Soho - Violent Soho

Reviewed by: Chris Fallon (04/10/10)
Violent Soho - Violent Soho
Release Date: March 9, 2010
Record Label: Ecstatic Peace

Australian rock is a perplexing mystery. Muddy grunge-influenced rock is, more often than not, what serves as our stateside taste of what goes on down under. Nevermind the occasional Living End, Bodyjar or Natalie Imbruglia... I'm talking Silverchair, Wolfmother, JET, the Vines. Those bands that take hard rock and infused classic American styles into their wild, larynx-bruising sing-alongs. While many of the bands namechecked above have slown down and downright changed their entire coursework, Violent Soho are just coming to fruition. On the way out the door, perhaps Craig Nicholls (the Vines) passed his talents and Cobain-like wails onto Luke Boerdam, because the similarities are overwhelming. Good thing? Bad thing? As long as Violent Soho keep Boerdam in line, the band's career could be on the rise here in North America.

For their self-titled sophomore release, Violent Soho takes 30 minutes to introduce themselves before exiting stage left. In this case, it's perfectly okay to piledrive through your songs and acquaint yourself in the intended audience. Not only for live shows or radio, but simply in general. Lead single, "Jesus Stole My Girlfriend," is a sardonic little number that paces itself like the finest of the Vines' songs (bonus: you can actually understand Boerdam when he sings or yells), and has enough charm to be an alternative-rock radio favorite for VH1's next segment on "I Love the Double-Digits". Opening track "Here Be Dragons" pretty much paints the picture for the Kurt Cobain/Craig Nicholls grunge-meets-punk vibe going on here: most songs slowly build up using heavy distortion and hushed vocals before culminating into an explosion of raw, bare-naked rock n' roll enthusasm. "Outsider" is the surprise here, remaining the core separation from everything else before or after it. It's steady and clean, containing a quiet sensibility that divides itself from songs like "Muscle Junkie," which focus on abrasive musicianship and blunt lyrics.

"My Generation" is a pumped-up anthem that recalls the Vines almost a bit too much, and if "Love is a Heavy Word" wasn't intended to be a slight nod to another "Violent" band (in this case, the Femmes), then they might want to say it was. "Bombs Over Broadway" also feels a bit too borrowed from a lyrics sheet Kurt Cobain must have left floating around; spastic and dark, it would feel right at home on Incesticide. Really, that's where the downside lies with Violent Soho: they are far from revolutionary or grandiose, but provide a hell of a lot of emotional chaos to entertain and succeed with both alternative/punk & hard rock crowds. The 90's are long gone, but with fellow Aussies continuing to shed their own light on the decades sound, Violent Soho aren't going to let it die outright (their label is even run by Sonic Youth's Thurston Moore!). For what it is, it's an enjoyable rock record that shows you every move it's going to make before you even press play; the band is young, however, and as long as they can build on this intro piece, the future could be very bright. Their self-titled effort is nothing new, but it isn't anything worth looking past either.

Recommended if You LikeThe Vines' Highly Evolved; JET; Silverchair's Freak Show; Kurt Cobain
Choice Cuts"Muscle Junkie," "Jesus Stole My Girlfriend" and "Outsider"

Online VitalsOfficial Site | Official Myspace
PurchaseAmazon MP3 | iTunes

Displaying posts 1 - 6 of 6
03:08 PM on 04/12/10
OvieCanucksFan
User Info.
I'm a fan of the single, "Jesus Stole My Girlfriend." I will certainly give this album a look.
06:30 PM on 04/16/10
bolgy99
Adam
User Info.
If this is what th review sounds like... Do not want. Australian bands trying to make American rock is an insult to the rest of the Australian scene.
11:46 AM on 04/19/10
X1FM
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Violent Soho will be Playing LIVE today (April 19, 2010) at 5:45pm PST on X1FM.com

Come check them out and don't miss more live performances, Live DJs, and Exclusive Interviews on www.x1fm.com
08:36 AM on 09/01/10
gramboshmambo
Gramboshmambo
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Just watched the video for "Muscle Junkie" it was badass.
10:00 AM on 09/15/10
gramboshmambo
Gramboshmambo
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Jesus stole my girlfriend is incredible. For some reason I love that they're Australian..
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums