AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Flatliners, The - Cavalcade Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7.75
Musicianship 8.5
Lyrics 9
Production 8.25
Creativity 6
Lasting Value 8
Reviewer Tilt 7.75
Final Verdict: 79%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8.92
Musicianship 9.17
Lyrics 8.67
Production 8.75
Creativity 9
Lasting Value 9.08
Reviewer Tilt 8.42
Average: 89%
Inside AP.net

Flatliners, The - Cavalcade

Reviewed by: Chris Fallon (04/13/10)
The Flatliners - Cavalcade
Release Date: April 13, 2010
Record Label: Fat Wreck Chords

As a reviewer and consumate professional (no snickering, please), it is my duty -- no, no, make that my responsibility -- to inform you, casual music nerd, about what you should and should not spend your hard-earned coins on. Like this site's neighborhood Spider-Man, I know that with great ability to earn advance copies of albums, comes great responsibility. Admittedly, I'm an optimist and I always look for the best things a record has to offer me before anything else. When it comes to the ever-popular and trendy task of reviewing punk rock, it can be a chore to browse the old Thesaurus to locate new synonymns for "bogus," "fantastic" or "Beringer." The Flatliners aren't reinventing any wheels; they're building crafty paper airplanes. It's music that won't take off your pants, fondle your privates and deshevel your hair, but you will enjoy seeing what it does to your senses for most of its 40 minute running time.

Perhaps on their third full-length, the band jinxes itself by leading off with four kick-ass tracks that literally make one want to circle pit in the middle of a crowded Wendy's (note: do not play first four tracks of this record while in a crowded Wendy's). "Carry the Banner" sets the tone by coming off as powerful as a stampede, but remains hopeful throughout; "The Calming Collection" kicks down the door and immediately falcon punches your face. Chris Cresswell gargles with rocks, so forgive him if not everything he says is articulate, but for what is understood, it's promising and a passionate reflection on maintaining a good spirit in tough times. That's one truly remarkable thing about punk rock these days: even if the music you're hearing is beating a dead horse in terms of how it's all put together, the words that eke their way out are always worth a listen. On the album's best cut, the Nard-Dog referencing "Here Comes Treble," Cresswell apologizes to the family he's ostracized ("I didn't mean to become a stranger") and on "Bleed," failure is celebrated for brighter days ("Don't keep the blood from rushing to my face, or keep the darkest days away").

The ska/reaggae/Rancid-esque roots that began to slow on 2007's The Great Awake are diminished even more here, and the only track that plays with such rhythm, "Here Comes a Jazzman," comes out of nowhere, and while "Shithawks" has a minor funk to it, the entire ska-agenda is stranded throughout the rest of the record. The album takes a wide left turn there and never quite recovers, despite its humble intentions. The tunes are hard-edged tales of getting drunk, fucking up and still keeping a good head about it all, but somewhere along the line, as nifty a theme as those all are, they stumble along to finish up the record. The first four songs are just so rambunctious and bombastic, anything in-between that drops the momentum for even a millisecond, throws the whole thing off-track.

An amplitude of gang vocals and hard-charged melodies, however, are sure to be the soundtrack to your next local fistfight with friends. "Liver Alone" does make you want to go a little shitfaced ("You've gotta drown it out and drain the memory"); and "Count Your Bruises" will likely make your recovery from the previous night's affair with a much bigger guy's boot to the face, easier to cope with. Though 40 minutes is a lot to handle from the Midwestern-themed punk rock the Flatliners are storming the gates with, check a couple off the tracklist for a surely boot-stompin' good time. Just make sure the boots stomp the yard, not your face.

Recommeded if You LikeBanner Pilot; Nothington; The Lawrence Arms; Dear Landlord; Leatherface; NOFX; Dillinger Four; North Lincoln; Far From Finished
Choice Cuts"Here Comes Treble," "Carry the Banner" and "Count Your Bruises"

Online VitalsOfficial Myspace | Official Facebook Page | Official Twitter
PurchaseAmazon MP3 | iTunes

Displaying posts 1 - 14 of 14
02:31 AM on 04/13/10
DeathOrGlory
I'm not fucked, not quite
User Info.
The Flatliners make me proud to be Canadian. Great no frills, in your face punk.
04:10 AM on 04/13/10
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
Good lord, the first paragraph is a work of art.
04:37 AM on 04/13/10
Chris Fallon
Boom.
User Info.
Good lord, the first paragraph is a work of art.
Damn, really? Thank you sir!
04:58 AM on 04/13/10
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
Absolutely. The review as a whole is well written but the first paragraph is a doozie.
05:38 AM on 04/13/10
hitormiss92
User Info.

Wow Chris! I applaud you for being able to write so many excellent reviews in such a short span of time
07:36 AM on 04/13/10
prefix-core
Andy Adores Alliteration
User Info.
Reading those second and third paragraphs made me want to start a circle pit, fingerpoint like a motherfucker, and scream the words at the top of my lines. After a few Coronas.

Fuck yeah, Flatliners!
09:22 AM on 04/13/10
concealer611
User Info.
Very good album, am really digging what I am hearing, a step up from their previous album for sure.
10:15 AM on 04/13/10
PlanetDahmz
User Info.
This album rocks so hard.
10:30 AM on 04/13/10
Yellowcard2006
I'll buy you a raincoat
User Info.
I think I'm gonna dig this. Great review
10:21 AM on 04/14/10
Alien
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
No mention of Monumental, which is one great tune.
I really think the record stay strong the entire way through.
06:27 AM on 04/15/10
Cue the Sun
I'm not sad anymore
User Info.
The Flatliners make me proud to be Canadian. Great no frills, in your face punk.
This. I love this band and can't wait to hear this album. I'll probably be picking it up this week
05:47 PM on 05/23/10
ship of beers
User Info.
Fantastic album
12:32 AM on 08/14/10
kentspaz
User Info.
Best album I've heard in a long time.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE