AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview
Hint: Have a band you'd like to see interviewed? Tell us.

Two O'Clock Courage - 04.20.10

Interviewed by: Linda Ferreira (04/24/10)
The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

Two O'Clock Courage - (James ,Vocals)

www.myspace.com/twooclockcourage
(side project) www.myspace.com/thepapertrailct

1. How did you get your band name?
The band was named before I joined it. I think Brian (bassist) named it after some old movie but everyone associates their own meaning to it.

2. How did this band get started?
Rico and Mike are brothers and best friends with Brian. Rico was in a band called Prototype that I remember from high school (they were terrible) and they all started a band together called Paramount Romantic (which was also terrible). 2OCC started when they decided to do something different and I joined when a friend of mine pointed out a myspace bulletin about a band looking for a lead singer. I was moving back home after college so I contacted the dudes.

3. What bands are you influenced by?
I can’t speak for everyone but I like a ton of different bands. I started on Nirvana and the Smashing Pumpkins, had a hip hop stage, then found Fall Out Boy and Taking Back Sunday early in their careers along with Northstar, Race the Sun, Blink182. Then I hit my singer songwriter stage that I’m in now and I live and die with Elliot Smith and John Mayer. I also am a huge fan of Lil Wayne’s work. He changed music.

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would it be and why?

I would pick Led Zeppelin or Poison or some crazy womanizing metal band. I’m kind of nostalgic for the musical party heyday. Maybe Stillwater…(Almost Famous? thanks Cameron Crowe)

5. If you were a furry, what animal would you be? Why that animal?
haha remind me of Johnny Drama in that Entourage Episode. Giraffe, that would be kinky.

6. Why should people listen to your band?
We are the most genuine group of guys you will meet. We go all out every night and we mean all the words we sing. We all grew up seeing guys like Adam Lazarra and Chris Connelly go all out on stage and we like to bring that to our show.

7. If you were chosen to be in Guitar Hero/Rock Band, what song would
you want in the game? How hard do you think it would be to five-star
on expert?

Probably “I’ll See you at the Aftermath” , Rico wrote that song for a project when he was at Berklee School of Music. It’s not hard to play but it’s fun.

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?

My parents, my sister and brother, a few of my close friends, the girls that broke my heart, and Mr. and Mrs. Ruotolo for letting us use the Courage House every night and never complaining.

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?

Everything. Music downloading changed the game so I would make it so that bands took more profit from their touring and merch so that we could actually make money. I would also eliminate labels in general and just have pressing houses and publishing companies so that artists could profit off their own hard work and you would get out what you put in.

10. Memorable tour experience?

When you get trapped in a car with dudes you are completely open and honest with you tend to end up with good stories..... but what happens in the van stays in the van.

11. What does AP.net mean to you?
I check it every day to see what’s up in the music scene.

12. What is your favorite song to play?

I love playing my acoustic guitar, so any song from my side project thepapertrail (might be renamed if some members do other things). But if we’re talking 2OCC, gotta be ‘Leave it out there on the field’, it has so much meaning and the words and acoustic guitar just hit so
powerfully. I rarely get to play it though :/

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
I went to school at THE University of Miami in Florida and I LOVE going back there.

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
Things that my mom and dad or my sister used to listen to like Garth Brooks, John Michael Montgomery, Whitney Houston and Mariah Carey, The Beach Boys, my sister loved 90’s bands like TLC, Nsync, BSB, Britney Spears. I was a student of pop music from a young age so I’ve learned to hone my ear onto what sounds catchy and what tempo, beats, deliverance, syncopation, and vocal timbres make music attractive to the ear…or at least my ear.

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?

That’s tough, I would just be Dr. Manhattan.

16. Do you feel that your band has "made it"?
I think we’ve set ourselves out on a path to ‘make it’. I think that what makes bands popular is having good songs and we are still in the advent of our writing stage so while we have gained a following and people scream our songs out at shows, we still haven’t gotten signed and we still don’t make a living playing music, and that’s the ultimate goal for a musician - to be able to play music for the people
that love your music and not have to suffer for it.

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
All our fans are our friends so they know a lot about us. but I don’t think a lot of our fans know that I write acoustic songs. I would love to play them for these people one day.

18. What's your favorite holiday?

I like Christmas. I like to feel the love. Or New Years is always a blast.

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
I pretty much only have one hobby and that’s to play the guitar…and write

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?

haha again, not really talented outside of singing, writing, and playing the six string

Displaying posts 1 - 4 of 4.
06:00 PM on 04/24/10
xapplexpiex
&.&
User Info.
I like their answer for their influences. Elliot Smith and the Pumpkins ftw.
I love these guys. Good tunes.
08:01 AM on 04/26/10
jamdrew
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Fuck this fucking A Day to Remember ripoff, namedropping, rockstar bullshit band. If you're going to have $12,000 worth of equipment, at least make it sound halfway decent
09:28 PM on 04/27/10
poppunksnotdead
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Jamdrew, have you ever actually LISTENED to A Day to Remember? Because they sound NOTHING like them. Rockstar bullshit? Do you know how ignorant you sound right now? Go see them live, and it will change your mind. These kids play music because they love to play. It's not about the equipment they have either. Check yourself before you start knocking them over the internet.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS