AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review

Change of Pace, A - Prepare the Masses Album Cover

Change of Pace, A - Prepare the Masses

Reviewed by
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
A Change of PacePrepare the Masses
Record Label: Immortal
Release Date: August 15, 2006

Overall Score: 3.1

It’s no secret that A Change of Pace’s debut release was far from groundbreaking. The band took lots of heat in reviews for their safe, unoriginal trip on the new-wave screamo bandwagon. Flash forward to their most recent effort, Prepare for the Masses. While the screaming has all but disappeared, the music still remains about as memorable as a McRib sandwich. Full of in your face melodies and driving rock anthems, A Change of Pace attempts to make a respectable attempt at dropping the generic tag but still fails. Horribly childish lyrics, predictable songs, and very little variation ruin any chance of making this album contain any lasting value.

Songs like “I’m Alive” have very little substance or memorable parts besides the chorus, which is repeated far too many times in the song. It gets to the point where it’s beyond predictable, it’s just obnoxious. Listening to that song once feels like you’ve heard it 5 times due to its repetitive nature. Cheesy lyrics like “Girl you can’t make me stay, I’m saying what I have to say” are painfully juvenile, essentially destroying any attempt at maturity the band is trying to make by ditching the screaming in their songs. “Take Care” is yet another mid-tempo snoozer that bogs down the second half of the album.

There are a few bright spots on this record, but they are few and far between. “Recipe for Disaster” is certainly catchy as the band embraces a full-on pop sound while changing the pace. (Despite the band’s name, most of the songs are about the same tempo) The record isn’t short of any hooks, the songs are catchy but they aren’t memorable. It’s virtually impossible to distinguish one song from one another, but while listening to the album straight through you’ll find yourself singing along – you just won’t be able to name what track it’s from without checking. Every song on the record sounds pretty much identical. There’s no added instrumentation or changes in songwriting to bring any distinction to the table. Aside from a few moments of decent musicianship (nifty guitar lines on “Weekend Warrior”) there is essentially nothing to keep a listener captivated.

The worst part about this band is that not only do the songs all sound alike, but the band itself sounds exactly like a ton of other forgettable bands. It’s nice that they dropped the screaming, and this is a vast improvement over their last effort – but it’s still a snoozefest. There is a certain irony in the name of the record, Prepare the Masses, because there is no reason for the masses to be prepared for anything – they’ve already heard this drivel a hundred times before.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 112
12:48 PM on 09/06/06
YourMusicSucks
True Punk Fan
User Info.
Low reviews on here are always so justified. Good review.

As much as users on here get credit for hating, the reviewers are a different breed.
12:49 PM on 09/06/06
yutsmcgee
Penis
User Info.
Wow, harsh. "as memorable as a McRib sandwich". hahaha. brilliant.
12:50 PM on 09/06/06
James to Feel
It sure made me feel
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
ouch...
Get into reviewing our next record..
12:52 PM on 09/06/06
Jared Kaufman
Registered Member
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
you love mcdonald's analogies, weebs.
01:02 PM on 09/06/06
briXinRhands
>>----------;;----l>
User Info.
I agree with the review except for one small part--the McRib is a hell of a sandwich.
01:02 PM on 09/06/06
youareallfreaks
thoust dare quoth i?
User Info.
damn weebs. harsh.

edit: but fair.
01:05 PM on 09/06/06
mrzippo3
User Info.
I am going to have disagree. I am in love with this album and I personally think the songs don't sound the same at all. "I'm alive" is a shitty song however. My personal favorite from the album is "War in your Bedroom" that song is awesome. Personally, it is one of my favorites of this year.
01:05 PM on 09/06/06
You Got Owned
@andymania
User Info.
I saw 'em live a couple of times.
they were alright.
01:08 PM on 09/06/06
IAmAmazing
I want to beLIEve
User Info.
The Final Verdict: 31%, ouch
01:08 PM on 09/06/06
Steve Henderson
Retired
User Info.
I like this album, myself. I agree, the lyrics are quite bad, but the production is pretty damn squeaky clean - a little excessive, but it suits the music here.

I dig tracks like "Take Care," "I'm Alive," and "A Song.." They are nothing groundbreaking at all, but the hooks are huge and put me in a good mood. This is just a fun CD to me. I'd give it like a 7-7.5.
01:19 PM on 09/06/06
gonz
///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\
User Info.
Steve...come on now, tell me that was a joke lol

Anyways, completely agree, I don't think I've even been able to get through this whole album once it's that annoying.
01:20 PM on 09/06/06
Ailite
one bright dusk
User Info.
Haha, before reading this I was dreading reading how good a record it is.
01:25 PM on 09/06/06
Chris Fallon
Boom.
User Info.
I tried getting into this record, and usually, I'm one for generic rock music, but I just couldn't get into this band. A couple of the songs are decent, but I have to say that I agree with Scott.

Sorry, Steve. :shrugs:
01:30 PM on 09/06/06
Steve Henderson
Retired
User Info.
Nah, it is fine. A few staffers really dig this, and others hate it. To each his own, dudes :)

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos