AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Season, The - The Season EP Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.5
Musicianship 8
Lyrics 7.5
Production 8.75
Creativity 7.25
Lasting Value 8.75
Reviewer Tilt 9
Final Verdict: 83%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9.5
Musicianship 10
Lyrics 9
Production 9
Creativity 9
Lasting Value 10
Reviewer Tilt 9.5
Average: 94%
Inside AP.net

Season, The - The Season EP

Reviewed by: Gregory Robson (06/16/10)
The Season - The Season EP
Record Label: Self-released
Release Date: June 8, 2010

Who?
The Season are a Minnesota based quartet. This self-titled EP is their debut and was produced by Camera Can't Lie frontman Eric Arjes. All five of the songs were also co-written by Arjes.

How is it?
Fan-freaking-tastic. If Midwestern Top 40 stations are looking for some new talent to help shake up their charts, they'd be pretty stupid to not pay some attention for this Minnesota collective. Each of the five songs on here are crisply produced, supremely polished and possess a confidence and charisma that's downright alarming. Opener, "The Way We Were," is a chart-topper in waiting. Armed with a sweetly hypnotic chorus, driving guitars and vocalist Luke Torgerson's crystalline vocals, there's no reason why this song shouldn't be featured on TV shows, movie soundtracks and the like. Hopeful, sun-drenched and undeniably punchy, it's a perfect way to start an album.

Second cut, "Everything And More," begins placidly and threatens to dawdle, but gradually begins to pick up after 90 seconds. Ninety-seconds later the song has segued into a full-scale guitar-driven rocker with thundering bass, smoldering drums and soaring guitars. "Still Be Here" is more of the same and never disappoints. The snappy cut "Locks LIke These," may be the EP's one letdown, but calling it a letdown is a bit too vicious. In truth, it just doesn't have the same kinesis, gravitas or emotion of the earlier three, but hey, one misstep isn't exactly a career-killer. Thankfully the disc returns to form on the leave-it-all-on-the-table closer "Not Your Fault," a sweeping and cinematic tour-de-force that casts a deeply indelible impression.

As music listeners there is nothing more rewarding than stumbling across a band so far under the radar who creates startlingly good music. The Season are just that band. Nearly every second of this EP drips with passion, professionalism and commercial appeal. In sum, The Season have everything to catapult themselves to stadiums in the next few years. Moreover, if the sweetly affecting chorus "I've been locked in a room full of my regrets, I've been locked in a pool of loneliness," (from "The Way We Were") doesn't tackle Midwestern radio charts, then perhaps the future of music is far more bleak than we were led to believe.

The Season is Adam Grahek - bass
Luke Torgerson - vocals/guitar
Joel Lunsetter- drums
Cole Hooey - guitar

Track Listing 1. The Way We Were (3:53)
2. Everything And More (4:18)
3. Still Be Here (3:55)
4. Locks Like These (2:45)
5. Not Your Fault (4:22)

Recommended If You Like The Goo Goo Dolls, Switchfoot, The Spill Canvas

Find Them Here Myspace

Displaying posts 1 - 8 of 8
09:03 AM on 06/16/10
tkidu
sioux
User Info.
the way we were is a sick song.
09:06 AM on 06/16/10
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
the way we were is a sick song.
Yes it really is. It's unreal.
11:02 AM on 06/16/10
Keagan Ilvonen
@KeaganIlvonen
User Info.
This band has a ton of potential. I listened to the EP once and it had some solid jams, good stuff.
12:26 PM on 06/16/10
S9Dallasoz
Knows the words to 'Bye Bye Bye'
User Info.
Love this EP.
Great start.
12:35 PM on 06/16/10
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
Love this EP.
Great start.
I was so hoping you would get into them!
12:39 PM on 06/16/10
Cody Nelson
Your mouth to God's south.
User Info.
Hmm, I've never listened. I normally like bands from my area, though, so I'll be sure to check this out soon.
07:50 AM on 07/17/10
sillyrabbit221
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
this is some damn good stuff lol.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives