AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Your Best Friend - Your Best Friend Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 9.25
Musicianship 9
Lyrics 8
Production 7.5
Creativity 8.75
Lasting Value 8.5
Reviewer Tilt 9.25
Final Verdict: 86%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9.38
Musicianship 9.5
Lyrics 9
Production 9.38
Creativity 9.13
Lasting Value 9.38
Reviewer Tilt 9.5
Average: 93%
Inside AP.net

Your Best Friend - Your Best Friend

Reviewed by: DylanPPPP (06/21/10)
Your Best Friend - Your Best Friend
Release Date: April 18th, 2008
Record Label: Unsigned

Every now and again, one stumbles upon one unknown band that shows great strengths in most (if not all) aspects of music. Whether it be randomly coming across an unsigned act on the internet or witnessing a tremendous live performance at the local venue down the street, finding these kinds of musicians can be a rare opportunity. I found myself stumbling upon one of these rare opportunities about a year and a half ago with the four piece indie/alternative group of gentlemen from Saginaw, Michigan who call themselves Your Best Friend.

At first glance, one may look upon this band and say "Oh great, another band compiled of scene/pop bullshit." But when you pop in their very first full length Self-Titled album and listen to the fast paced riffs leading into the opening track "Dear Heavenly Father" one's mind will change completely, and they will quickly teach the age old rule not to judge a book by its cover. As one begins to listen to this album, not even a minute in, one of the greatest and most unique attributes this band brings to the table is realized. Your Best Friend does not feature a lead vocalist. All four members of the band sing and though the three main vocal parts (Guitarist John Bonham, Steve Sochanek, and bassist Dale Brown) sound very similar, they each complement each other nicely, As one listens to each of these men belting their manly voices out of those speakers, one may just have to reconsider their own masculinity.

With that said, Your Best Friend's unique vocal trends are not the only thing that they throw at you. Each individual is quite the incredible musician. It's quite easy to tell that these guys have been doing this for quite some time and definitely know what they are doing. I would like to specifically point out the fantastic rhythm section so fortunately provided to the listener by Nick Edler. Delivering something new and different with the drums is one thing I value a lot in a band and Edler does so brilliantly, always keeping the listener interested and air drumming all the way.

With most albums now-a-days that come out of the scene there is one problem with them, all the songs sound the same! Your Best Friend does well in avoiding the monotonous ways of most albums pumping out into this day and age. From the in-your-face rocker "Decimals" to the winding tale of "The Path Of An Illogical Liar" Your Best Friend will be sure to keep you mighty interested with their interesting concept of life and death.

One of the standout tracks on this album is the final hoorah that Your Best Friend has to offer on this album in the form of the slower (but incredibly too short) acoustic ditty "Aboriri". This little song starts with soft acoustic guitars as Bonham's soft vocals come in telling the very short tale of a young girl who has mistakenly become pregnant and is considering getting an abortion. The song slowly goes on peacefully with acoustic guitars explaining how the girl feels ("Lord, I'm not ready to have a baby/ So I give him back to you/ And I'll take him back when I'm ready") until it builds quickly and crashes after the powerful group chant that will be an instant fan favorite at shows "If you could ever forgive what I did!" Than the drums come in instantaneously and depart as suddenly as they came. "When will we be happy?/Where will we find strength?/Can we face our families?/When will you be safe?/Be safe!" are the last words you hear as this song continues to build and than fades with more acoustic guitars as this wonderfully passionate song brings the album to a close.

All in all this album is nothing short of brilliant. It has its kinks here and there but when all is said and done, Your Best Friend will show that they are deserving of their name and are very capable of producing one incredibly solid album.

Recommended If You LikeDeja Entendu, Jimmy Eat World, Every Avenue?, Rock Music!

http://www.myspace.com/yourbestfriend

Displaying posts 1 - 7 of 7.
12:40 PM on 06/29/10
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
Drew used that Power Rangers comparison once. In the Set Your Goals review, I think.
12:07 PM on 07/02/10
mymusicismylife
Disgruntled wheat thins enthusiast
User Info.
These guys are huge locally, but I've never gotten into them. In all honesty, it's the band image that drives me away. The pictures make them look like more scene stuff. So I judged a book by it's cover, sue me.
08:22 AM on 07/06/10
mybreakingpoint
User Info.
These guys are huge locally, but I've never gotten into them. In all honesty, it's the band image that drives me away. The pictures make them look like more scene stuff. So I judged a book by it's cover, sue me.
they're really the nicest guys you'd ever meet. and they sound nothing like how they look, trust me. if you get a chance to see them live, it'll change your mind about them so much energy.

good review, great album, awesome band.
08:24 AM on 07/06/10
mymusicismylife
Disgruntled wheat thins enthusiast
User Info.
they're really the nicest guys you'd ever meet. and they sound nothing like how they look, trust me. if you get a chance to see them live, it'll change your mind about them so much energy.

good review, great album, awesome band.
I'll take your word for it. A friend of mine is a pretty big fan, I'll have her take me to a nearby show sometime.
08:31 AM on 07/06/10
mybreakingpoint
User Info.
I'll take your word for it. A friend of mine is a pretty big fan, I'll have her take me to a nearby show sometime.
You won't regret it
05:00 PM on 07/08/10
DylanPPPP
snooch to the nooch mother fucker
User Info.
Drew used that Power Rangers comparison once. In the Set Your Goals review, I think.
Yeah I stole that. Guilty. I didn't think this would even get posted so I didn't think it would be a big deal. So I got rid of it. Not too important to the review.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests