AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Pierce The Veil - Selfish Machines Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7.75
Musicianship 8.5
Lyrics 7
Production 8.5
Creativity 7.25
Lasting Value 7.25
Reviewer Tilt 8
Final Verdict: 78%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8.95
Musicianship 9.09
Lyrics 8.48
Production 8.63
Creativity 8.8
Lasting Value 8.55
Reviewer Tilt 8.89
Average: 88%
Inside AP.net
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.

Pierce The Veil - Selfish Machines

Reviewed by: Drew Beringer (06/23/10)
Pierce The VeilSelfish Machines
Release Date: June 22, 2010
Record Label: Equal Vision

Pierce The Veil has always seemed like the little brother in its scene. While similar bands like OG Chiodos and Emarosa grabbed the headlines with their high pitched and intense sound, the San Diego quartet was an afterthought. Even Craig Owens and Jonny Craig overshadowed PTV lead singer Vic Fuentes earlier this year in their super-group Isles and Glaciers and their EP. But the band’s second album, Selfish Machines, aims to change that, as the 11 track romp looks to take a bigger slice from the scene cake.

The heartbeat of this album lies in Fuentes’ voice, as his tenor is something you love or hate; there is no in-between with it. While his voice was the weakest of the three in Isles and Glaciers, it’s fairly obvious right from the start that it was made for the style of music Pierce The Veil plays. His voice leads the urgent pace of opener “Besitos,” as it works nicely with Tony Perry’s piercing guitar work.

In fact, the first four tracks hit you in the mouth, as they channel some of their early work, back when they were known as Before Today. The slow buildup of “Southern Constellations” leads you into the raucous “The Boy Who Could Fly.” The hotly paced track features screams, riffing, and great drum work from Mike Fuentes. The breakdown serves as the band’s high point, as Pierce The Veil is at their best when they let go. The energy continues with “Caraphernelia,” which features a guitar riff that sounds straight out of a NES game. Jeremy McKinnon (of A Day To Remember fame) provides the heaviness, as his deep scream works as the contrast to Fuentes’ nasally proclamation of, “what’s so good about picking up the pieces?”

While Selfish Machines starts out strongly, Pierce The Veil lose their focus and get a bit indulgent with the odd “Fast Times At Clairemont High,” in which the band can’t decide on if they want to rock out or have a dance party. They decide on both, which results in awkwardness. Thankfully, “The New National Anthem” follows with its powerful chorus. “Bulletproof Love” is incredibly poppy and ultimately forgettable, but the band knocks it out of the park with the ballad “Stay Away From My Friends,” and the infectious “Disasterology.” The latter once again has the band doing what they do best: fast-paced rock with high-octane vocals.

Autotune rears its ugly head in “Million Dollar Houses (The Painter),” which is a complete misfire, but the bad taste doesn’t stay in your mouth for long, as the album closes with its strongest track, “The Sky Under The Sea.” It’s the kind of frantic number that highlights the band’s strengths, such as crunchy guitar chords and riffs that weave in and out with Fuentes’ howl.

Selfish Machines is Pierce The Veil’s strongest album to date. While the use of autotone and overproduction sully some of the album, the band accomplishes some cool things, especially on tracks like “Besitos” and “The Sky Under The Sea.” The experimenting is commendable, even if the band gets off track with clunkers like “Fast Times At Clairemont High.” So while Pierce The Veil sometimes lets style get in the way of substance, Selfish Machines will be an album worth hitting “repeat” throughout the summer.

Additional InformationTrack Listing:
1. Besitos
2. Southern Constellations
3. The Boy Who Could Fly
4. Caraphernelia (feat. Jeremy McKinnon of A Day To Remember)
5. Fast Times at Clairemont High
6. The New National Anthem
7. Bulletproof Love
8. Stay Away From My Friends
9. I Don’t Care If You’re Contagious
10. Disasterology
11. Million Dollar Houses (The Painter)
12. The Sky Under The Sea
Produced by: Mike Green

Pierce The Veil is:
Vic Fuentes – vocals/guitar/keys
Jaime Preciado – bass/vocals
Tony Perry – guitar/vocals
Mike Fuentes – drums

Official Website; Official Myspace; Official AP.net Profile; Official Twitter Account

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 110
07:21 AM on 06/23/10
Dustin Harkins
Go support Kony 2012 some more
User Info.
This album is pretty awesome. You hit the nail on the head with this review, great writing.
07:27 AM on 06/23/10
Ryan Gardner
User Info.
Great review for one of the best surprises for me of the year. I didn't expect much from the record, but after loving Isles & Glaciers, I decided to check it out and was floored by it. It's solid.
07:29 AM on 06/23/10
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
I love Fuentes' voice. I couldn't understand the people who were complaining about it on the Isles and Glaciers EP. Will have to check this out.
07:32 AM on 06/23/10
seanr91
User Info.
Good review but I don't think Fuentes was the weaker voice in Isles and Glaciers and was overshadowed. Nonetheless this album will be in my rotation for a long time.
07:37 AM on 06/23/10
silentname
Good < Evil
User Info.
In Canada this isn't available til the 29th. =( Ag.
Well this sounds like a solid review! I'm looking forward to the record...despite the mention of auto-tune. =/ haha
07:39 AM on 06/23/10
therookielot
the shape of punk just came
User Info.
I started listening to it, I think I like it, but the dude's voice is throwing me off. It's very piercing

edit: Ok, I listened to "Stay Away From My Friends" and I'm rethinking what I just said about his voice. I don't know how lame this sounds, but I'm blown away. This song is so fucking good.
07:42 AM on 06/23/10
incognitojones
http://auburn-hills.tumblr.com
User Info.
Great album, hope people get over his voice. He was better than Craig Owens in I&G in my opinion.
07:48 AM on 06/23/10
aradiantsunrise
i get what i want
User Info.
Good album. I just wish they'd break away from the scene shit. They would be so much better.
07:50 AM on 06/23/10
mymusicismylife
Disgruntled wheat thins enthusiast
User Info.
I started listening to it, I think I like it, but the dude's voice is throwing me off. It's very piercing
Ouch. Bad pun.

I could never get into this band even when I listened to more scene stuff back in the day.
07:58 AM on 06/23/10
JuneJuly
Allez l'OL
User Info.
Good review, I've yet to pass judgment on this...I've enjoyed it but I feel like there is room to enjoy it more.
07:58 AM on 06/23/10
icynova
Love is easier made than kept!
User Info.
I really enjoyed these guys live, so I'll definitely be picking this up.
07:59 AM on 06/23/10
brandon_260
Ah, yes.
User Info.
Excellent review! Ordered this on Monday, can't wait to get it. Also, Alternative Press said this album was for fans of Boys Like Girls - Love Drunk.... is that bullshit?
08:01 AM on 06/23/10
therookielot
the shape of punk just came
User Info.
Ouch. Bad pun.

I could never get into this band even when I listened to more scene stuff back in the day.
ahahaha I know, I had nothing else.
08:03 AM on 06/23/10
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
User Info.
Excellent review! Ordered this on Monday, can't wait to get it. Also, Alternative Press said this album was for fans of Boys Like Girls - Love Drunk.... is that bullshit?
haha yes
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News