Password

Album Review
All That Remains - The Fall of Ideals Album Cover

All That Remains - The Fall of Ideals

Reviewed by
All That Remains- The Fall Of Ideals
Razor & Tie Entertainment
Release Date: July 11, 2006

Phil Labonte, vocalist for All That Remains and ex-Shadows Fall, must have known something that we didn’t when he was quoted as saying,
“We try to cover lots of ground, but do stuff that is still true to ourselves: we do solos because we like them, we do breakdowns because we like them, we have clean singing because we like it. We please ourselves first but we havn’t done anything close to what we believe we can achieve.” He spoke these words just before entering the studio to record their latest full length “The Fall Of Ideals” which manages to live up to the potential Labonte knew existed in his band, eager to get out. The band has taken the metal-core they have been doing for the last 10 years and pushed it to the upper echelon of a genre recently slowly losing its momentum.

“The Fall Of Ideals” starts off blazing with the first track, and single, “This Calling” and doesn’t let up the intensity until the feedback fades from the final song. Double bass pedal flying, a wall of guitars and one hell of a scream greet the listener giving a pretty good idea of the album to follow. The hardened growls give way to a surprisingly melodic chorus brought to life by the dynamic vocals of ex-Shadows Fall singer Phil Labonte, who started All That Remains as a side project while still with Shadows Fall in 1998. Shadows Fall might be getting a little jealous with one listen to this album. If anyone unfamiliar with the band wanted to get a good idea of the band, “This Calling” would be an excellent place to start because it showcases all the elements present on the album from quick guitar riffs, to the inventive guitar solo, to the muscle of power metal evident in the chorus.

Vocalist Phil Labonte really steps it up, standing out as one of the most defining aspects of the album proving the theory that most things that involve a Phil do, in fact, rock (See: Genesis, Pantera, Groundhog Day). His range has greatly improved from their last album “This Darkened Heart”. Phil runs circles around competitors by utilizing hardcore yelling, heavy metal screams and even a black metal growl to compliment his clean melodious natural vocals. Clean vocals are also used in more abundance than their previous effort. It’s obvious that he has worked on his delivery during the writing process and it paid off.

The guitars and drums have progressed immensely as well, partly due to the addition of Shannon Lucas who helms the drum throne for his first album with All That Remains. His drums are an exercise in stamina with his impressive double bass drums speed evident on the blast beats of “Six”. Straight double bass patterns are mixed in with syncopated and ever evolving beats that compliment the guitar playing. The guitar solos, wow, never uninteresting employing lots of lighting fast arpeggios as well as slower tapped parts sound as if emulating a computer. Mike Martin and Oli Herbert really show their influences on this album running the metal gamut from thrash metal verses to the tremolo-picked black metal styling of “The Weak Willed”. Their parts are written well for the songs and sound very tight when coupled with the unstoppable screams of Labonte. If the runs during the solo of “Become The Catalyst” don’t knock you on your ass, I don’t know what will.

Upon hearing this album, many people will consider them similar to Killswitch Engage in it’s brash melodic metal style, and this is not necessarily a bad thing. In fact, Killswitch Engage’s own Adam Dutkiewicz steps up as producer for “The Fall Of Ideals”. His production is very similar to the style he utilizes with his own band; every guitar squeal, pinch harmonic and backing vocal is exactly where it should be, completely audible, never muffled or overproduced.

It is hard to have many qualms about this album but there were a few things that could be considered cons depending on the taste of the listener. The bass guitar is barely audible but then again, I havn’t heard many metal albums in the past 5 years in which it is a prominent aspect of the mix. This didn’t bother me, but it may bug some people, probably just All That Remains bassist Jeanne Sagan. Also, some of the songs can sound similar in structure and sound after repeated listens. This same problem is evident in the lyrical writing as well. It isn’t bad by any means, just nothing new to stand out from the typical metal-core topics. Although similar, they are by no means bad. Phil’s black metal vocals could have been captured a little bit better, sounding compressed sometimes as if he was singing into a jar.

Overall this is a very enjoyable listen for anyone that is, not necessarily looking for something brand new, but instead seeking a musical styling that improves on the metal-core genre they are comfortable with. If you are a fan of fast, energetic metal in the vein of Killswitch Engage, you really owe it to yourself to check this album out.

For Fans Of: Killswitch Engage, As I Lay Dying, Shadows Fall, Metal.

Tracklisting
1. This Calling
2. Note Alone
3. It Dwells In Me
4. We Stand
5. Whispers (I Hear Your)
6. The Weak Willed
7. Six
8. Become The Catalyst
9. The Air That We Breathe
10. Empty Inside
11. Indictment

Purevolume- http://www.purevolume.com/allthatremains
Myspace- http://www.myspace.com/allthatremains
This review is a user submitted review from Tom Good. You can see all of Tom Good's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 13 of 13
08:27 AM on 10/25/06
crazytoledo
Addicted to slurpees
User Info.
Not as good as their last, and a disappointment, but still a good album.
09:14 AM on 10/25/06
Mase714
Just a dab'll do ya
User Info.
great review, this cd is amazing and I agree, the drumming is unbelievable.
05:49 PM on 10/25/06
Tom Good
Album Reviewer
User Info.
Not as good as their last, and a disappointment, but still a good album.

Really? I liked their last album, but it didn't hit me as hard as this one did. I just think they honed their sound a little more.
06:17 PM on 10/25/06
Tom Good
Album Reviewer
User Info.
great review, this cd is amazing and I agree, the drumming is unbelievable.
Thanks man. yeah, the drums were totally brought to the next level thanks to the addition of Shannon.
07:36 PM on 10/25/06
mma
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
awesome review. i'll check this out.
07:19 AM on 10/26/06
crazytoledo
Addicted to slurpees
User Info.
Really? I liked their last album, but it didn't hit me as hard as this one did. I just think they honed their sound a little more.

Their last album was far better. I really liked the guitar tone and soloing on the album. This album doesn't sound as good and it feels too structured and seems to follow a formula. It kind of feels like a safe album, but it's still good.
08:04 AM on 10/26/06
Tom Good
Album Reviewer
User Info.
Their last album was far better. I really liked the guitar tone and soloing on the album. This album doesn't sound as good and it feels too structured and seems to follow a formula. It kind of feels like a safe album, but it's still good.

I definitely see your point about this being a safer album, it is.
10:38 PM on 10/26/06
heartsdietoo
User Info.
Don't get me wrong i really enjoyed their last album. However, this album i feel is much more solid. They improved all around, and kept their style. Very good review and very good album.
12:28 PM on 11/21/06
AshesAshes
User Info.

I agree with this 100%

Good review I was waiting on someone to review this for a while now
09:47 AM on 10/28/08
TSTLSOOM
Hayley > Hayley
User Info.
I think this CD is Great!
nice review!
07:36 AM on 12/22/08
TotalCollapse
You are my blanked out pages.
User Info.
Their best album. I wish Overcome was this good.
12:55 PM on 04/25/09
xapplexpiex
&.&
User Info.
Whoa. This album surprised me. I'm listening to it now and I love it.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos