AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Avenged Sevenfold - Nightmare Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 6.25
Musicianship 8.25
Lyrics 6.5
Production 8
Creativity 6.5
Lasting Value 6.5
Reviewer Tilt 6.25
Final Verdict: 69%
Member Ratings
Vocals 7.75
Musicianship 8.35
Lyrics 7.84
Production 8.25
Creativity 7.76
Lasting Value 7.94
Reviewer Tilt 7.9
Average: 80%
Inside AP.net

Avenged Sevenfold - Nightmare

Reviewed by: Ryan Gardner (07/29/10)
Avenged SevenfoldNightmare
Record Label: Warner Brothers Records
Release Date: July 27, 2010

We all know the story: Avenged Sevenfold’s switch from “metalcore” to M. Shadows' decision to cut the screaming on 2005’s City of Evil and ‘07’s Avenged Sevenfold, which lost them many of fans of the previous heavy hitters (Sounding the Seventh Trumpet and Waking the Fallen). The band had planned to continue in their latest direction with their newest album; however, December 28, 2009 changed everything when drummer Jimmy “The Rev” Sullivan passed away. In his memory, A7X hit the studio and recorded their fifth studio album, Nightmare, enlisting Dream Theater’s Mike Portnoy to honor The Rev on the kit.

Nightmare follows a comparable constitution to their latest self-titled with a few twists and turns. There are tracks alike to one of Avenged Sevenfold’s many misfires “Dear God” that feature a country feel (“Buried Alive” and “So Far Away”). There are, on the other hand, a few heavier numbers found on Nightmare (“Natural Born Killer” and the screaming “God Hates Us”). Alike to on Avenged Sevenfold, the country-esque tracks just don’t fit the bill. Although, conversely, the heavier tracks are a step away from A7X’s latest work, and a good step in the right direction at that. That said, these polar opposite sounds only show that Avenged Sevenfold lack a true identity, simply following the latest trend.

Musically, guitarists Synyester Gates and Zacky Vengeance continue to demonstrate their knowledge of the fret board on tracks such as the soaring “Natural Born Killer” and latter “Save Me.” Their work continues to be the backbone and highlight of Avenged Sevenfold, as M. Shadow’s vocals again begin to take their toll on the listener. Drummer Mike Portnoy is a solid fit for the band’s sound, dominating “Welcome To The Family.”

The finest parts of the album were all placed on the first half of the album, as tracks such as single “Nightmare” and “Danger Line” pack a punch due to Gates and Vengeance superb guitar work. Likewise, “God Hates Us” is the heaviest track A7X have done since Waking the Fallen; featuring the first taste of M. Shadows screams, the track hits hard although coming across as a Slipknot reproduction. Despite these solid tracks, the rest of the record falls short – the slow “Victim” and “Tonight the World Dies” drag on, losing any hope of a poignant experience.

Correspondingly, with the majority of Nightmare containing tracks over the five minute marker, the continuous guitar solos get dreary and uninteresting, as the last half of the album as well as parts in the middle (“Buried Alive”) simply drag on. The haunting “Fiction” does somewhat save the end of Nightmare, as The Rev’s vocals make the track chilling over piano play. Nonetheless, the track does prolong the final “Save Me,” which after ten minutes, ends the record in a fitting way with M. Shadows singing “tonight we all die young”.

While there’s no question that Nightmare accomplishes its task of honoring The Rev, it also presents nothing new to Avenged Sevenfold’s latest sound – a safe zone. While there are a handful of tracks that keep the listeners attention (“Welcome To The Family”), all of the solid tracks are found in the same area, making the end of the record simply tire the listener. Clocking in at just over 66 minutes, the never-ending guitar solos definitely take their toll, and of course, the country-sounding tracks are all misfires, a huge hindrance to Nightmare as a whole. Yet, that is Avenged Sevenfold’s style nowadays, despite the fact that it becomes hackneyed as the record progresses. Nonetheless, it is prevalent that the members of Avenged Sevenfold have made quite an endeavor on Nightmare to honor The Rev’s memory. If they can begin to experiment with their sound – which is unlikely – Avenged Sevenfold could certainly obtain a number of lost fans in the future, as they clearly possess musical talent; Nightmare, however, will garner no lost fans, nor bring in many new fans.

Recommended If You LikeAvenged Sevenfold’s City of Evil and self-titled; newer Atreyu; excellent guitar work

Listen ToNightmare; Danger Line; Natural Born Killer; God Hates Us

Additional Information
Track Listing:
1. Nightmare
2. Welcome To The Family
3. Danger Line
4. Buried Alive
5. Natural Born Killer
6. So Far Away
7. God Hates Us
8. Victim
9. Tonight The World Dies
10. Fiction
11. Save Me

Avenged Sevenfold are:
M. Shadows – Vocals
Synyester Gates – Guitar
Zacky Vengeance – Guitar
Johnny Christ – Bass
Mike Portnoy (Dream Theater) – Drums (on album)

In memory of James “The Rev” Sullivan

myspace.com/avengedsevenfold

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 34
01:28 AM on 07/30/10
slimfenix182
Registered Member
User Info.
good review, aside from Buried Alive having a country feel (????) and the "dreary and uninteresting" solos. not liking em is one thing. nowhere near dreary and uninteresting. I cant listen to Dear God, I actually like the slower songs on Nightmare though. their last record was very meh, thank God there's nothing like Scream here. Save Me is amazing, love this album. but good review overall.
01:31 AM on 07/30/10
njdevils327
You know Craigslist? That's my list
User Info.
its called spell check. not to be a dick but i couldn't get past the first 2 paragraphs.

nevermind, itt's not that bad. i overreacted. could be cleaned up a bit but i'm tired so i'm picky
06:54 AM on 07/30/10
Ryan Gardner
User Info.
its called spell check. not to be a dick but i couldn't get past the first 2 paragraphs.

nevermind, itt's not that bad. i overreacted. could be cleaned up a bit but i'm tired so i'm picky
Just checked; I see no spelling errors
06:58 AM on 07/30/10
Ryan Gardner
User Info.
good review, aside from Buried Alive having a country feel (????) and the "dreary and uninteresting" solos. not liking em is one thing. nowhere near dreary and uninteresting. I cant listen to Dear God, I actually like the slower songs on Nightmare though. their last record was very meh, thank God there's nothing like Scream here. Save Me is amazing, love this album. but good review overall.
I definitely like this album a lot better than their s/t. Well, I like about half this album, that's it, but to each his own.
09:19 AM on 07/30/10
A7XXX
Temple Pressure
User Info.
I do know that most of the songs can be consider safe. Nevertheless it's the Avenged sound that we are familiar with from previous record. Zack and Syn are both phenomenal on the guitar. Plus the longer songs are sort of their trademark. I enjoyed them tremendously and I'm sorry that you find them dreary
09:28 AM on 07/30/10
Ryan Gardner
User Info.
I do know that most of the songs can be consider safe. Nevertheless it's the Avenged sound that we are familiar with from previous record. Zack and Syn are both phenomenal on the guitar. Plus the longer songs are sort of their trademark. I enjoyed them tremendously and I'm sorry that you find them dreary
I realize what they were trying to do with the longer tracks, as that has always been their style; I also complimented Zacky and Syn very often on their excellent guitar work. That said, it did drag on at times.
09:42 AM on 07/30/10
Jake Jenkins
https://twitter.com/jakej654
User Info.
I think "Save Me' should also be under the Listen To category, but other than that, I agree with this review. Pretty standard a7x album that sounds a bit empty to me.
03:11 PM on 07/30/10
Here It Goes
Registered Member
User Info.
I don't know which is worse, this band or your grammar.
05:30 PM on 07/30/10
Stearman77
User Info.
Bull shit on your review, i see other albums that get amazing reviews that are'nt talented, can't write music and musically deaf.Sir i think you may need to review this and look at your other bands-reviews with higher scores.
05:33 PM on 07/30/10
Stearman77
User Info.
Bull shit on your review, i see other albums that get amazing reviews that are'nt talented, can't write music and musically deaf.Sir i think you may need to review this and look at your other bands-reviews with higher scores.
On top of that your pic is of Norma Jean, not a terrible band but come on.
07:11 PM on 07/30/10
Grohl
RATA
User Info.
Avenged Sevenfold are great musicians, and terrible songwriters. At least in my opinion.
08:28 PM on 07/30/10
Pawan1993
Change isn't the same as progress
User Info.
I hope that was a joke. Avenged Sevenfold only ever have been known for being musically talented. Otherwise they're ordinary. The best thing the reviewer has reviewed is the Owen album and the score he gave was pretty accurate. This review was pretty spot on though. And Norma Jean are definitely one of the more promising bands in that genre today.
08:46 PM on 07/30/10
DeathOrGlory
I'm not fucked, not quite
User Info.
I enjoyed 'Dear God" on the self-titled? I don't know about this album. Other than the heavy tracks and the 10 minute finale, everything else seemed dull.
07:46 AM on 07/31/10
Ryan Gardner
User Info.
I mean all I can tell you is to write your own review of the record if you have a differing opinion. I feel I was pretty fair with positives and negatives throughout the review's entirety.
I don't know which is worse, this band or your grammar.
I tried to use different syntactical techniques than seen on most reviews on here - more advanced grammatical structures, etc.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums