AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Run Doris Run - The Bigger Picture Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7.25
Musicianship 7
Lyrics 6.25
Production 7.75
Creativity 5.75
Lasting Value 7
Reviewer Tilt 7.75
Final Verdict: 70%
Member Ratings
Vocals 4.13
Musicianship 4.75
Lyrics 4.13
Production 4.69
Creativity 3.75
Lasting Value 4.44
Reviewer Tilt 4.44
Average: 43%
Inside AP.net

Run Doris Run - The Bigger Picture

Reviewed by: Steve Henderson (10/26/06)
Run Doris Run - The Bigger Picture
Release Date: 2006
Record Label: Unsigned

It is not a well-kept secret that I found Run Doris Run's debut EP, Five More Songs and You Can Go Home, well, pretty bad. The band members were all extremely young to be recording an EP, and it was readily apparent. While a low tally in the age column can grant forgiveness in a critical sense, it makes a hill of beans of a difference to the consumer and listener. We all just want good music to rock out to, and Five More Songs just fell far short of that mark with its underdeveloped lyrics, off-key vocals, and somewhat simplistic musicianship.

After I reviewed the band's first EP, the group's manager politely contacted me to thank me for doing the review. In doing so, he professed his belief in this band that was "going places." I admired this loyalty, dedication, and belief in those under his wing, but given the subject matter in question, though, I thought he was marginally nuts. Alas, when he contacted me to review Run Doris Run's follow-up, The Bigger Picture, I figured I would get to see how crazy this man really was, and how ill-rooted his convictions might be.

Reviewers, by nature, can be victims of ego and pride issues to a far greater extent than your average music snob, even. But for me, there is nothing I would rather see than a band progressing out of the doldrums to disprove a prior critical judgment. Namely, I am more than willing to eat crow. And to be succinct, Run Doris Run is making me do just that with this release. As the band returns, there is little to no traceability to that ho-hum EP that seems so far removed from the band we have before us now. Run Doris Run has grown up. Fast.

The maturation the boys exhibit is revealed right from the intro of "From Now On," with its smooth drum rolls and prickly riff. Perhaps the most notable change, though, is when Ryan Koppel's vocals chime in with a sound that is entirely foreign when compared to his last go-round. Gone is the feeble, subpar Will Salazar imitation, and now present is a brash, confident, more new-age Chris Conley emulation. Koppel goes rough and raw ("Never Gonna Come Back"), and sing-along-able anthemic ("I Am the Lie"), but does still fall into monotony ("Turn It All Around") at times. Regardless, the improvement is massive, and incredibly welcome.

Musically, as well, RDR has some new tricks to toss into the ring in kind. The band is no longer afraid to tear into a flashy riff, roll out a sexy bass intro, or kick out a slick drum fill. Nevertheless, the verse writing is a little weak, and tends to rely on the same bouncy, repetitive crunch formula for tracks like "From Now On" and "Turn It All Around." And yes, the lyrics are still skewed a little towards the contrived and simple, but at least there are no songs about getting shot with Super Soakers on The Bigger Picture. And through it all, the most astonishing part about The Bigger Picture is the fact that "I Am the Lie" is the song I never thought Run Doris Run had in them - the song that says this band is well worth signing. With its overtly triumphant chorus, rocking guitar lines, and high production values, "Lie" is a tough song to argue against.

So, yes, Run Doris Run still has some growing to do to "get there." But now, Russel, I am with you in believing that these guys might make it. Big improvement all around, and certainly worth checking out.

Recommended if you like: Saves the Day, Denver Harbor, Fenix TX, The Ataris, Plain White T's, Allister

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 15.
08:20 AM on 10/26/06
Steve Henderson
Retired
User Info.
Check them out if you like:

http://www.myspace.com/rundorisrun
09:24 AM on 10/26/06
Pat Marquez
User Info.
Good review.
11:00 AM on 10/26/06
Steve Henderson
Retired
User Info.
The review looks good.

Can I take this moment to express my boredom with band names these days? "Run Doris Run". "Run Kid Run". "Rock Kills Kid". "Boy Kill Boy". What the H, people. Get some originality.

"Hey, are you that guy from Run Kid Run?!?!?!"
"No...I'm from Run Doris Run...thanks though..."

Haha, I agree completely.
03:07 PM on 10/26/06
Julia Conny
"Julia HurriConny"
User Info.
Their myspace player isn't working, or maybe its just for me, but I'm trying to listen to "I Am The Lie." Sounds like its gotta be good.
03:27 PM on 10/26/06
Scott Irvine
Your Virtual Pnin
User Info.
The review looks good.

Can I take this moment to express my boredom with band names these days? "Run Doris Run". "Run Kid Run". "Rock Kills Kid". "Boy Kill Boy". What the H, people. Get some originality.

"Hey, are you that guy from Run Kid Run?!?!?!"
"No...I'm from Run Doris Run...thanks though..."

The same applies with the 500 bands with the word 'hero' in their name.

Just to name a few:

Protest the Hero
Gym Class Hero(es)
Tomorrow's Hero
Movies with Hero(es)
Hero Pattern

etc. etc. etc.
03:32 PM on 10/26/06
MusicPimp
coffee is my friend
User Info.
The same applies with the 500 bands with the word 'hero' in their name.

Just to name a few:

Protest the Hero
Gym Class Hero(es)
Tomorrow's Hero
Movies with Hero(es)
Hero Pattern

etc. etc. etc.
I'm with you on the names ...but I know that all the others copied Run Doris Run.... lol RDR established Jan 2003....HA HA
07:15 PM on 10/26/06
innerpunk
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
so they arent 100% original but they sound good and their lyrics are alot better than the sh*tty rap lyrics about hitting the b*itches and smaking hoes down...

they are a great inspiration and i love them!

so there!
03:22 PM on 10/30/06
Pat Brown
Suck me, beautiful!
User Info.
my group is pretty cool:

groups.myspace.com/rundorisrunsucks

c'monnn
07:47 PM on 11/02/06
rdrlove
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
so i must say run doris run is simply brilliant.
i love them with a passion. they are unique
with a lot of talent that is why they are my
favorite band :D
02:47 PM on 02/12/07
parothead310
User Info.
I like your reviews but Im going to have to say I still think its pretty terrible. They try and I'll give them that, but give up please.
03:27 PM on 06/26/07
Specs
User Info.
I like your reviews but Im going to have to say I still think its pretty terrible. They try and I'll give them that, but give up please.

I agree, they throw all kinds of money and stuff towards their band and aren't making much progress. They gave it a shot but they should move on.
01:02 AM on 09/06/07
borrowedtime
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
what i love most about this most is the fact that the kids that dislike this are from long beach, and probably havent come to a show in forever and just assume shit
10:11 AM on 11/12/07
punket520647
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
are you going to call your mom and see if you can go to try out with me let me know so i can text my anaut and mom and say that you are coming home with and and i need to know by 6 or 7 so my anuat can have move in her car because her car is a mess :jayz: :rape: ^ that man rap
10:13 AM on 11/12/07
punket520647
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
punket520647are you going to call your mom and see if you can go to try out with me let me know so i can text my anaut and mom and say that you are coming home with and and i need to know by 6 or 7 so my anuat can have move in her car because her car is a mess :jayz: :rape: ^ that man rap
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests