Password

Album Review
The Graduate - Only Every Time Album Cover

The Graduate - Only Every Time

Reviewed by
The GraduateOnly Every Time
Release Date: August 31, 2010
Record Label: Razor & Tie
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
What a strange two year (or so) journey it has been for one of the most promising bands in the scene, Springfield, Illinois’, The Graduate. After releasing their debut album Anhedonia to much fanfare and critical acclaim, their label, Icon Mes, folded, and the band found themselves without a home. After a short tour in late 2008, the band decided not to dwell on the label issue and began to work on new material. After a year and half of being label-less, Razor & Tie signed the quintet, bringing relief to fans that have waited so long for new material. And it is well worth the wait, as their second full-length, Only Every Time, is the sound of a band realizing their full potential.

While plenty of music fans fell in love with the sound and structure of Anhedonia, Only Every Time features a richer, more diverse sound; it’s an atmospheric auditory treat, featuring musicianship that envelops your senses. Opener “Don’t Die Digging” is a great example with technical guitar riffs needling in and out, as the gang-vocal infused chorus will have you shouting and stomping along instantly. The intensity of “Siren” reminds you that The Graduate can rock out at any given moment, while showing off Corey Warning’s excellent vocal work.

But the bread and butter of Only Every Time are the mid-tempo tracks that show off the little details and intricacies in the song writing. The spacey “Stuck (Inside My Head)” is Snow Patrol-esque, only more complex, while the dazzling “Make Believe” is the anthem you’ve been searching for all summer.

Not one second of space or silence is wasted on this record, as The Graduate know how to put together a track that packs an emotional wallop. The beautiful “Pull Me In” is the highlight of Only Every Time, which features nicely layered guitar chords and subtle piano notes that span over the course of the song. Warning exclaims, “I’m falling over edges with you/I’m longing just to see your face again/I’m taking on the world to give you everything you need/while I’m away” over a chorus of “whoa-oh’s” that are reminiscent of Arcade Fire’s “Wake Up.”

Only Every Time never stalls, as tracks like “Halfway There” and “All At Once” fuse ambiance and urgency into the perfect songs for those late night drives. Other tracks, such as “Choke” and “Permanent Tourists,” showcase Warning’s range and passion as a vocalist.
Bands always say they were influenced by this and that genre when promoting a new album, but most of the time they fall short of such proclamations. But in the case of The Graduate, Only Every Time lives up to that billing. Throughout the eleven tracks, you hear tempos and vibes inspired by indie-rock, pop, and electronica. It’s a cornucopia of varying genres, thus giving the album an impactful and unique sound many acts will fail to emulate. The Graduate is aiming to break through the genre barriers, making an album all music fans will enjoy, regardless of genre affiliation. My mother always taught me that patience is a virtue, and boy did it pay off this time, as Only Every Time is a surefire album of the year contender.

Additional InformationTrack Listing:
1. Don't Die Digging
2. Sirens
3. Stuck (Inside My Head)
4. Make Believe
5. Pull Me In
6. Choke
7. Halfway There
8. Permanent Tourists
9. All At Once
10. End of the World Delight
11. For the Missing
Produced by: Brian McTernan

The Graduate is:
Matt Kennedy - guitar/keys/vocals
Tim Moore - drums
Max Sauer - guitar/vocals
Corey Warning - vocals
Jared Wuestenberg - bass

Official Myspace; Official AP.net Profile; Official Twitter Account

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 125
03:52 AM on 08/19/10
Chris Fallon
Boom.
User Info.
"All At Once" and "Stuck (Inside My Head)" are my favorites, but goddamn, does "End of the World Delight" soar. "Pull Me In" is the one song I can't seem to escape from. It always finds its way into my head at random moments throughout my day.

Oh hell, it's my favorite record of 2010 at the moment. Don't see that changing anytime soon. It's essentially a souped-up, enhanced version of Anhedonia. Love it - solid stuff, Drew.
03:59 AM on 08/19/10
jusscali
EMO REVIVAL IS FOR BITCHES
User Info.
I adore this band, and I love everything they have ever released. This review gives me hope that even though I'm not super stoked on DDD and Siren that I'll still love this record as well.
04:22 AM on 08/19/10
WeWereGiants
Cold hands, Lips blue
User Info.
Cannot wait to get this album, have been super-stoked. I'm so glad to read such a good review :D
04:29 AM on 08/19/10
Chris Fallon
Boom.
User Info.
One last note: I really, really love the way both "Choke" and "Permanent Tourists" wind down. Particularly the latter song, in which the ending is so soothing, it's practically a lullaby.
04:36 AM on 08/19/10
So-Crates
Registered Member
User Info.
So excited for this
04:58 AM on 08/19/10
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
Huge huge huge huge fan of "Make Believe."
05:10 AM on 08/19/10
SSLYBY
Back in the saddle.
User Info.
You guys that have heard it are getting my
hopes up so bad!
05:33 AM on 08/19/10
cereal4life
User Info.
In a word? Radibonzical.
05:34 AM on 08/19/10
newfoundmichael
@SirDaveyBoy
User Info.
I've waited what feels like an eternity for this album. I can't wait to pick it up.
05:37 AM on 08/19/10
zachff
deadformat.net/tradelist/zachff
User Info.
Cannot wait to get my grubby mitts on this
06:02 AM on 08/19/10
dhayes
User Info.
So stoked for this. Good review Drew, I didn't think I could possibly be anymore excited until I read this.
06:32 AM on 08/19/10
sillyrabbit221
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Ive been waiting for a review and now that ive got it im going insane waiting for this release!! august 31st couldnt come any slower!
06:40 AM on 08/19/10
introduction
You're not real musician!
User Info.
I hope it's as good as you say it is - I need an album like this right now.
06:49 AM on 08/19/10
mycuban
hermits.bandcamp.com
User Info.
I'm dying of anticipation for this and new Tim Kasher.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos