AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Devil Wears Prada, The - Zombie EP Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 9.25
Musicianship 8.75
Lyrics 8.5
Production 8.5
Creativity 8.5
Lasting Value 8.25
Reviewer Tilt 9.5
Final Verdict: 88%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8.58
Musicianship 8.41
Lyrics 8.09
Production 8.31
Creativity 7.9
Lasting Value 8.31
Reviewer Tilt 8.52
Average: 83%
Inside AP.net
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.

Devil Wears Prada, The - Zombie EP

Reviewed by: Drew Beringer (08/19/10)
The Devil Wears PradaZombie EP
Release Date: August 24, 2010
Record Label: Ferret

Sometimes the most ridiculous of ideas turn out to be the best. Who knows how a concept about zombies would play out on record, but when The Devil Wears Prada vocalist Mike Hranica suggested it to his fellow band mates earlier this year, they ran with it and made it their own. So 28 days later (or so), The Devil Wears Prada emerged from the studio with an EP faster and heavier than ever before.

You might ask yourself, “how can TDWP shred it even harder than With Roots Above and Branches Below?” The answer is simple, my friend. First off, Hranica’s vocals continue to get stronger, as his killer scream has become even more distinct and deep, while the remaining band members mix in some thrash (inspired by bands like Hatebreed), amped up the riffs and drumming, minimized the melodic parts, and threw in more breakdowns. Plus, wouldn’t you move a bit more quickly if you were being hunted by zombies?

Double-barrel shotguns, knives, and spiked baseball bats may the norm in zombie-huntin’ weaponry, but TDWP employ a different kind of killing device: breakdowns and more breakdowns. Opening track, “Escape,” unleashes not one or two, but three (!!!), different breakdowns in four and a half minutes. Keyboardist James Baney sets the mood with some programmed strings before Hranica and gang unload their artillery. “Escape” is the absolute perfect beginning to this brutal affair, as it is the heaviest song the sextet has ever recorded. The revving of a chainsaw begins another terrifying chapter in “Anatomy.” Hranica has never sounded stronger behind the mic, while guitarist and clean vocalist Jeremy DePoyster provides urgency to the track.

The structure of “Outnumbered” closely resembles the majority of tracks from With Roots Above, while “Revive” features an absolutely nasty opening guitar riff that sets the tone. Baney’s theatrics pace the track behind Hranica’s frantic growls. It doesn’t sound good for the human race as DePoyster sings, “We cannot restore/we cannot recover/all is lost in the flood of the risen dead,” between the twist and turns of the track. Closer “Survivor” concludes the terror as Hranica tells the story of one of the few survivors, ferociously shouting, “I will never see through this nightmare/ I will never know sunlight again/I will never see through this nightmare/ I will never taste her lips again” over one last pulverizing breakdown.

In the end, Zombie EP should garner The Devil Wears Prada even more respect, as the faster, more brutal delivery of the five songs will fall in favor of more traditional metal fans. Zombie EP is a tasty, well-executed concept that should keep fans satisfied until the band releases their next full-length. The Devil Wears Prada only continues to get stronger, faster, and better at their craft. Thank God they’re on our side.

Additional InformationTrack Listing:
1. Escape
2. Anatomy
3. Outnumbered
4. Revive
5. Survivor
Produced by: Joey Sturgis

The Devil Wears Prada is:
Mike Hranica - lead vocals
Jeremy DePoyster - rhythm guitar/clean vocals
Chris Rubey - lead guitar
Andy Trick - bass guitar
Daniel Williams - drums
James Baney - keyboard/synthesizer

Official Website; Official Myspace; Official AP.net Profile; Official Twitter Account

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 184
04:07 AM on 08/19/10
Ricketts
@allenricketts
User Info.
Great review, I can't wait to pick this up!
04:17 AM on 08/19/10
the seventeenth
level 71 community member
User Info.
I can't wait to pick up a hard copy, this EP really surprised me. Good review.
04:23 AM on 08/19/10
ZoSo1886
www.twitter.com/jamesbenedictnj
User Info.
Very entertaining review
04:42 AM on 08/19/10
Jaimehere
Support local music!
User Info.
i loved the ep very much so, and yes it really is their heaviest work so far
04:48 AM on 08/19/10
Jake Waltham
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I love this EP, great review :).
04:55 AM on 08/19/10
BozzBlonde
twitter.com/adeadgod
User Info.
Pre-ordered this. I can't wait to listen to it.
05:27 AM on 08/19/10
Akissforher
City Love
User Info.
I pre-ordered this one, gonna hold off til then but this review makes it so tempting to hear it now
05:31 AM on 08/19/10
thechetearly
thechetearly
User Info.
awesome review, can't wait for it to come in the mail.

i just wish they would stop usingJoey Sturgis like...a LOT. I feel like this lack of good production skills is really holding this band back and keeping them STILL in the "rise records" pigeon-holed hardcore bands that use too much compression, and all the guitar and drum tones sound alike.

with being on Ferret, i was REALLY hoping they would go with a better producer. maybe....HOPEFULLY next time.
06:12 AM on 08/19/10
LCT9608
User Info.
I love this album..... Its so heavy. I think its their best to date
06:21 AM on 08/19/10
batmannj
"No more half measures Walt"
User Info.
My favorite track would have to be Anatomy and I love how they worked all the elements into this one: the strings, keys, breakdowns, and alert sirens all going off was chaotic but ultimately the most impressive (and most memorable) track on the entire EP.
06:32 AM on 08/19/10
deadelement
magic asian
User Info.
My favorite track would have to be Anatomy and I love how they worked all the elements into this one: the strings, keys, breakdowns, and alert sirens all going off was chaotic but ultimately the most impressive (and most memorable) track on the entire EP.
You just described "Escape", Anatomy is the one that starts with the Chainsaw.
06:37 AM on 08/19/10
mcquizzle
mighty kites !!!
User Info.
Not the biggest fan of these guys, but I really enjoyed this ep. They pulled it off just about as good as anyone could have.
06:43 AM on 08/19/10
Chrisj182
User Info.
I'm one song in and already prefer this to WRAABB.
06:55 AM on 08/19/10
nickstetina
User Info.
awesome review, can't wait for it to come in the mail.

i just wish they would stop usingJoey Sturgis like...a LOT. I feel like this lack of good production skills is really holding this band back and keeping them STILL in the "rise records" pigeon-holed hardcore bands that use too much compression, and all the guitar and drum tones sound alike.

with being on Ferret, i was REALLY hoping they would go with a better producer. maybe....HOPEFULLY next time.
I agree, a lot of Joey's work sounds the same, but I don't think it necessarily sounds unprofessional or "bad". I run a home recording studio and a lot of bands want THAT sound. They like TDWP, Miss May I, Of Mice and Men and all the like. They want every drum hit to be the same velocity, they want every thing to the grid, they want singing pitch corrected to hell and back, etc.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums