AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

General Announcement News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Technology Round-Up (09/06/10)

Posted by - 06:46 PM on 09/06/10
Head to the replies to read this week's Technology Round-Up.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 25
06:47 PM on 09/06/10
Linda Ferreira
The Retired Maillady
User Info.
Thanks to Chad, Frank and Melissa for putting together.

Technology Round-Up Poll

An interesting article argues that startup companies "should only hire good Starcraft players."

With regard to all companies (not just startups)
, what do you think? Should companies specifically hire gamers? [Poll]

Apple

Check out the officially-launched updated versions of the iPod Shuffle, Nano, and Touch (already reported by AP.net).

Apple's new social networking service, Ping, attracted one million users in its 48 hours (including some spammers).

iOS 4.2 will stream videos and photos to AppleTV devices from iPhones and iPod Touches. Much to the chagrin of music collectors, the iPod Classic will not see a refresh this year.

AT&T users with a capped iPhone data might want to check their data usage.

The latest builds of iOS 4.1 indicate that the update will make iOS 4 usable on iPhone 3G.

Check out some HDR-enhanced photos taken with an iPhone 4 running iOS 4.1. Apple has also confirmed that the OS upgrade will also fix proximity censor issues.

The Unreal 3 gaming engine has been ported to iOS.

Apple is building two million iPads per month to meet demand.

A company called aikai has shown off people playing World of Warcraft on an iPad.

iTunes 10 is available for download. Oh, and Steve Jobs disagrees with the claim that the new icon "sucks."

Internet

Facebook offers a new security feature: remote logout.

Myspace has finally added Facebook and Twitter integration, allowing individuals, musicians, and celebrities to cross-post status updates on all three sites at once.

Twitter is now logging every link clicked through the service.

Skype 5.0 beta was released this week for Windows. The newest feature allows up to 10 people to chat at once.

Chatroulette is back up and running, but isn't really any better than it was before.

YouTube now features an HTML5 player, if your browser will support it.

Movie rentals are probably coming to YouTube.

Movies are all the rage these days -- it looks like The Pirate Bay is getting a documentary written about it.

Amazon mocks Apple's 99 cent rentals with 99 cent episodes for purchase from Fox and ABC.

The next edition of the Oxford English Dictionary will only be available online.

For more HTML5 fun this week, check out this audio demonstration done in Firefox 4.

At least 1,000 add-ons are already Firefox 4 compatible.

Google

Google has purchased SocialDeck, a gaming company that enables games to be played on multiple platforms, like Facebook, iPhone, and Blackberry.

Though Google Wave has been shut down due to lack of users, it will be available till the end of the year. They're also releasing most of the code in hopes that developers can find better uses for it.

SketchUp 8, an online 3D model creator, was just released.

Google has launched Things To Do, a UK feature that lists the most popular things to do online with Google products with instructions on how to do so. (Note: the page can still be viewed if you're not in the UK).

Google released Priority Inbox this week, a Gmail service that will sort emails by importance to you. It will be available to all Gmail users.

Google Apps users may be getting use of all apps.

Google and AOL have renewed their partnership with another 5 year contract.

Chrome turned two this week
. To celebrate, Chrome 6 was rolled out with some new features, like extension and autofill sync.

Arcade Fire teamed up with Google to make their latest music video, The Wilderness Downtown. The video shows off HTML5 at its finest.

Electronics

Sony's e-reader trio are getting updated with much better touch screens.

Panasonic releases a wall-mountable 3D Blu-Ray player, complete with wi-fi capabilities, speakers, and an iPod connectivity.

Want does a photo taken by a 120-megapixel camera look like? Fantastic, that's what.

Canon rolled out a 4k multipurpose video and still camera at their expo this week.

This new 360 degree camera shoots seamless panoramic images and is perfect for in-home and small business security.

Samsung released a new, full HD camcorder featuring a 20 degree slanted lens in hopes of lessening the strain on the user's wrist. The company also has captured 88% of the 3D TV market in the US.

Sony's first go at a 3D projector is fantastic for a personal movie theater.

Good news! Jet packs are finally available for sale!

This tiny BBQ grill will still cook food... one shrimp at a time.

Mobile

A recent study has found that most people have a love-hate relationship with mobile phones.

Google is aiming to release an Android music market, making music executives very excited.

The Samsung Galaxy Tab has been rooted a month before the phone is even scheduled to release. It will cost between $200 and $400 and will be available on Vodafone.

HTC's dual-mode CDMA/GSM Android slider has been spotted at the FCC in Verizon colors.

BlackBerry Torch 9800 can now be customized on Colorware.

Android accounts for a quarter of mobile web traffic.

LG Optimus 7 Windows Phone 7 prototype will be released in October.

The CNET News app is now available on Android.

More and more people have been using Twitter from mobile apps.

Computer

AMD will stop selling graphics cards under the "ATI" brand during this year. AMD would also like companies to stop putting stickers on laptops.

Intel is purchasing Infineon for $1.2 billion, the company behind the iPhone's chipsets.

If any of our readers own a Toshiba laptop, please take note that 42,000 laptops have been recalled.

A scammer who posed as a Nigerian prince has been sentenced to 12 years in prison.

Flash memory cards will triple speed by 2012.

Sears apparently sells offensive mousepads.

Microsoft has announced its latest innovation of the mouse called the Arc Touch Mouse. As Microsoft loves to innovate, a lot of its features sound like they're inspired by the Apple Mighty Mouse.

Tips/Tricks

Kindle users outside the U.S. can avoid fees by lying about their country.

Android users can now download Firefox Mobile 2.0.

Anyone looking to upgrade all the computers in the house to Windows 7 will appreciate the Windows Family Pack which includes three licenses of Windows 7 (upgrade) for $149.99.

Add convenient Windows explorer options with FilerFrog.

Songbird, the music player that syncs with almost every portable player and is based on the Firefox engine, has reached version 1.8.

Quickly and securely shred files on your computer with FileKiller.

Finally determine if your computer or your friend's is better with PerformanceTest.

Miscellaneous

Duke Nukem Forever has been confirmed for 2011 (yes, it's game news, but it's too significant to leave out of this round-up).

The Scotland Women in Technology (SWiT) group is hoping to increase the number of women making a career in IT.

Malaysia is cracking down on its web users.

Armin Van Buuren, a well-known trance DJ, had his credit card details stolen and placed up for sale.

Craigslist has blocked its adult services section.

Take a nice nap with
Panasonic's self-rocking Relax Chair Yasumi.

--
Contributors: klawansie7, Sarcasm, CyberInferno
07:05 PM on 09/06/10
schmohawk
schmucko supremo
User Info.
the new itunes logo does in fact suck. also that android slider would look way better if the keyboard wasn't red.
07:12 PM on 09/06/10
troubledbyinsects
~
User Info.
New itunes logo is awesome. fuck da haters.
07:14 PM on 09/06/10
HeavenResign
Registered Member
User Info.
iTunes 10 artwork is too small in album list mode. :(.
07:33 PM on 09/06/10
theredline
Brian Gallows
User Info.
Hell ya it is!
07:33 PM on 09/06/10
theredline
Brian Gallows
User Info.
Hell ya it is!
07:45 PM on 09/06/10
troubledbyinsects
~
User Info.
you can make it bigger i think
07:48 PM on 09/06/10
the sky below
User Info.
new itunes logo DEFINITELY is taking some time getting used to, actually the whole new interface is.
07:49 PM on 09/06/10
HeavenResign
Registered Member
User Info.
you can make it bigger i think
If you find out do quote and tell me, I looked up that could be changed in "grid" mode but not album list mode.

At first I was freaked that shorter albums weren't showing album art, at least they put a "show all album art" option.
07:52 PM on 09/06/10
troubledbyinsects
~
User Info.
If you find out do quote and tell me, I looked up that could be changed in "grid" mode but not album list mode.

At first I was freaked that shorter albums weren't showing album art, at least they put a "show all album art" option.
can do. i have no idea if i'll figure out how, though.
08:06 PM on 09/06/10
HoldThatSound
racaaabeef
User Info.
f the new itunes logo.

and it sucks cause i bought a shuffle a few weeks ago, now they have new ones.
08:17 PM on 09/06/10
ETGsynth
IWillBuryYou&EverythingYouBelieveIn
User Info.
f the new itunes logo.

and it sucks cause i bought a shuffle a few weeks ago, now they have new ones.
The best thing about apple products!
08:21 PM on 09/06/10
HoldThatSound
racaaabeef
User Info.
The best thing about apple products!
for real it sucks haha. makes me want to wait 20 years to buy anything
08:30 PM on 09/06/10
Scrandon
User Info.
My iTunes and Chrome were completely revamped in the same week, I feel like I'm not even on my own computer...

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos