AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Asteria - Momentum Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.25
Musicianship 8.5
Lyrics 7.75
Production 8.5
Creativity 8.25
Lasting Value 8.25
Reviewer Tilt 9
Final Verdict: 84%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8
Musicianship 7.88
Lyrics 7.53
Production 7.78
Creativity 7.59
Lasting Value 7.69
Reviewer Tilt 8.06
Average: 78%
Inside AP.net
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.

Asteria - Momentum

Reviewed by: Drew Beringer (09/16/10)
AsteriaMomentum
Release Date: September 14, 2010
Record Label: Unsigned

I’ve stated before that if I had unlimited resources I would start up my own record label. Why? So I could sign and put out my favorite unsigned bands records. The first two I would sign are The Narrative and Asteria. The Narrative released one of the best albums you’ll hear in 2010. And Asteria's new album, Momentum, has joined that list. 3 albums and 1 EP deep, it's time for more people to recognize the talented Crown Point, Indiana, quintet, whom continue to mature and evolve, as Momentum is a progression from their 2008 self-titled EP.

You’ll be impressed with Momentum whether you’re familiar or not with the band’s previous material. Flowing more in the vein of The Graduate and The Starting Line, Asteria sets the tempo immediately with the thundering “Intro,” which flows seamlessly into the guitar-driven “Pawns In Chess.” The confident vocals of Terrence Kline lead the way on the huge-sounding “Hold On (God Damn),” while the upbeat tempo of “Take Me Away” will please the senses.

“Heartbreaker” is a brooding mid-tempo rocker, as the rhythm section consisting of drummer Sam Henderson and bassist Brandon McQuen provide the backbone. “Chutes & Ladders” is reminiscent of Direction-era Starting Line, and the infectious chorus in “Just Another Letdown” will be renting out the space in your ear canal. The vicious “Shake It Off” is one of the best songs in the band’s entire discography, as Seth Henderson and Ryan Gullett duke it out over dueling guitars (they dominate "A Beautiful Night For A Showdown" as well). Asteria slows it down and show off their improved musicianship with the powerful “Candles,” and close the album with the simple yet effective acoustic ditty “Northbound & Down.”

Signed or not, Asteria has created one of the best albums the scene will hear all year. This isn’t some new band trying to jump on the latest trend to make a quick buck, rather Momentum is a genuine rock album full of integrity and honesty. Asteria’s fingerprints are all over this – from the promotion to the production, the band carries themselves in a way that most young bands don’t. It’s incredible to hear the strides the bands has made from 2007’s Slip Into Something More Comfortable to this. Here at AbsolutePunk, one of our motto’s is “your new favorite band could be just a click away.” With Momentum, Asteria is that band.

Additional InformationTrack Listing:
1. Intro
2. Pawns In Chess
3. Hold On (God Damn)
4. Take Me Away
5. Heartbreaker
6. Chutes & Ladders
7. Just Another Letdown
8. Shake It Off
9. Candles
10. A Beautiful Night For A Showdown
11. On My Knees
12. Devil Hold My Hand
13. Northbound & Down
Produced by: Asteria

Asteria is:
Terrence Kline - vocals
Seth Henderson - guitar/vocals
Ryan Gullett - guitar/vocals
Brandon McQuen - bass
Sam Henderson - drums

Official Myspace; Official AP.net Profile; Official Twitter Account

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 40
03:26 AM on 09/16/10
PowerRanga
MCMM
User Info.
I really enjoyed A Lesson in Charades, any songs similar to that on this album? If so I will pick this up in a heartbeat.
03:35 AM on 09/16/10
MichaelCarnahan
Development Arrested.
User Info.
Great review. I got this today, and I've already listened to it AT LEAST 8 times through. Wonderful album.
03:48 AM on 09/16/10
CH!MP
planning a prison break
User Info.
listened to this a few times. nothing really stood out. i liked ALiC

also: is it just the vocal style or does the singer have a LOT of pitch correction going on here?
04:24 AM on 09/16/10
drivethru715
National Nobody
User Info.
Good review Drew. These guys deserve a lot more praise then what they get. Amazing, amazing album.
04:57 AM on 09/16/10
Freud
User Info.
other than the internet, is there any way of buying this cd? any stores have it?
05:21 AM on 09/16/10
highfidelity203
Registered Member
User Info.
I need to pick this up. Great band that doesn't get the attention they deserve.
05:29 AM on 09/16/10
derekjd
Mr.DRM
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Great review.
I haven't heard this band, but after this review I plan to take a listen to at least the clips on amazon.mp3 and see whether I want to buy it. You have me interested.
I also really enjoy the reviews being given to unsigned bands. Coming from a small band from Raleigh, NC, it gives me hope for our future. Keep it up.
05:51 AM on 09/16/10
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
User Info.
other than the internet, is there any way of buying this cd? any stores have it?
you can order the album from their website/myspace, but no stores are carrying it I believe.
06:07 AM on 09/16/10
TwelveTribes230
<>
User Info.
Great band. Heard a few songs off this CD and they were pretty good.
06:41 AM on 09/16/10
sjb2k1
User Info.
been enjoying this at work. scale's still tipped in marianas trench's favor though, at the moment.
06:52 AM on 09/16/10
Dr. Acula
www.twitter.com/ericflaris
User Info.
I want to like these guys cause they are from my area of town but they bore me to tears. Such generic, recycled music.
07:16 AM on 09/16/10
Coverbydesign
User Info.
Amazing band and a great bunch of dudes to talk to. I really hope this cd gets them where they want to be. They earned it and should be rewarded for being one of the only bands puts out music that is good.
07:19 AM on 09/16/10
incognitojones
http://auburn-hills.tumblr.com
User Info.
Love these guys, gotta pick this up soon...
07:35 AM on 09/16/10
COREhorizon
Get Free
User Info.
I used to listen to their older stuff. I checked the new songs out, and it just didn't sound the same to me...
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums