1. How did you get your band name?
Sitting around a campfire searching for a band name. A friend suggested A Fire With Friends almost sarcastically, but the name seemed to fit the idea of the band.
2. How did this band get started?
We started as a three piece acoustic act. We used to practice in my mother's minivan in Denny's parking lot. Then we practiced in a garage and an office. All of this happened at the strangest hours of the night. Eventually we grew into a much larger band and were thus forced to find a more logical practice space. Though, still at the strangest hours.
3. What bands are you influenced by?
Margot & The Nuclear So and So's, Arcade Fire, Weezer, Manchester Orchestra, Modest Mouse. A million others. But these I think most of us would agree on.
4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?
The Beatles because why the fuck not? The Velvet Underground. Margot & The Nuclear So and So's because they are the reason we are a band. Arcade Fire because we all like to hit drums and jump around too.
5. If you were a furry, what animal would you be? Why that animal?
I have no idea what a furry is. But I like Giraffes.
6. Why should people listen to your band?
Because it would make our lives easier. Honestly? Because we love music and I feel many people enjoy and can relate to such a genuine passion for anything.
7. If you were chosen to be in Guitar Hero/Rock Band, what song would you want in the game? How hard do you think it would be to five-star on expert?
"Caliente"! It would be the easiest five star/expert song there ever was.
8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
Everyone who told me I was bound to fail.
9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
Everything. Maybe just cut the Justin Bieber bullshit.
10. Memorable tour experience?
The entire trip, really. Specifically? Eric finding chalk out of nowhere in Nashville and drawing a robot that says "Fuck 'em" on a random bar. He claims he asked for permission to do so.
11. What does AP.net mean to you?
An honest and informative website for everyone who loves listening, playing, and discussing music. Not many places you can do that.
12. What is your favorite song to play?
"Twinkle twinkle little star."
13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
The Beatles. Steely Dan. MxPx.
15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
I'd like to be "created an everlasting cigarette a la Willy Wonka style" man.
16. Do you feel that your band has "made it"?
Not even close. That isn't to say that we aren't happy. Almost no one "makes it" these days. That's okay though. It helps filter out what's real and what's not.
17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
MxPx owned my adolescence.
18. What's your favorite holiday?
19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
I usually work. But that isn't to say I like that at all. I enjoy hanging out with the other band members as well as our other friends. We're pretty good at finding ridiculous times. Other than that...I like movies. I'd say I like "films," but that might come off as pretentious.
20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
I can juggle twelve elephants with my eyes shut.