Username
Password
Waking Ashland News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Waking Ashland
Inside AP.net

Kickstart Jonathan Jones

Posted by: Matthew Tsai (09/30/10)
Jonathan Jones (ex-Waking Ashland, We Shot The Moon) has launched a Kickstarter page in support of his new solo record, Morning Light. Check out the different options for purchase here.

Submitted by multiple users

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 20.
10:13 AM on 09/30/10
uglystar03
User Info.
Will be backing a minimum of $50! Its worth it simply for a physical copy of We Were Young and the new album!
10:14 AM on 09/30/10
irthesteve
All that wander are not lost
User Info.
I like this. Anyone who is curious but doesn't want to click the link:

Quote:
THE STORY AND WHAT I WANT TO DO

I dropped everything in 2004, started a band (Waking Ashland and then We Shot The Moon), toured the country/parts of the world extensively for six years, made 4 Albums and 2 EP's during that time (some of which people liked.. some that people didn't like), signed a couple of record contracts, but MOST IMPORTANTLY- became an open minded individual through all my experiences on the road. With that said, I am now at a place in my life to officially launch my solo career with YOU writing the next chapter with me. My plan is to start through a new album (tentivley titled "Morning Light") where I will tell these stories in the studio, capturing them in way I've never previously done. I will be using a string quartet, brass, clarinets, harps, a choir, and many other instruments that I've never had the chance to compose for on past recordings. The idea here is to record an honest album with character and to push myself out of previous comfort zones I've created in the past.

It is a new day for the artist. With the huge leap in technology and the major change in music distribution (file sharing, tune core), it's anyone's game. The artist no longer needs to be completely dependent on the record label. In fact with a loyal following, the artist can be independent of the record label, and this is what I've chosen to do. I will admit making this decision has been a bit nerve racking and scary, but it's also been extremely liberating. Why not completely cut out "the middle man".
Now with the middle man cut out I am asking YOU to be a part of this new journey. It would take me two years to save up enough money to make the kind of record described above. If you've ever supported anything I've done in the past, NOW would be the time to support me again. All of your funding will go directly to the cost of making a studio recording/launching an independent career and not to the big "evil" record label. I have tried to make it so there is a lot of incentive to back my project (see rewards). Now more than ever, it truly is about the music. Every cent here goes straight to the music and no one else. You can be the difference!

HOW I PLAN TO DO IT

My goal is to raise 10,000 dollars this month and then take the rest of the year to finish writing "Morning Light". Come January I will hole myself up in a studio and record the most eclectic record I've ever done while keeping YOU in the loop 100% of the time up to completion and then after with videos, blogs, and picture updates. I will be accountable to YOU and what an amazing experience that will be! Once I've finished the album I'll send it out to everyone who supported me first, and then will submit it to all the digital outlets (iTunes, Amazon). Come spring(2011)you can expect to see me on the road for some touring!

WHAT THE MONEY IS FOR

5000.00 for the studio and engineer
1000.00 for a mastering job
2000.00 to pay the musicians that play on my record
2000.00 to press a physical copy

The 10,000 I hope to raise is just the BARE MINIMUM I need to launch this whole project. To put a record out properly costs at least 50,000. Costs to keep in mind are advertising, a publicist, making a video, getting on the road, etc... I will be putting every dime I get back into myself/career. I don't play music for the money because honestly, if you were to add it up, I would be making a wage significantly less that minimum wage! I play music because it's in my DNA; its is the only thing I can see myself doing, and music changes lives. Thank you for reading this and even thinking about backing me. One last thing to remember is that Kickstarter is set up on an "all or nothing basis." If I don't reach 10,000, I don't get any of the funding. Much love my friends.

Jonathan

10:19 AM on 09/30/10
irthesteve
User Info.
Will be backing a minimum of $50! Its worth it simply for a physical copy of We Were Young and the new album!
there are some really cool things you can purchase. I am contemplating some of this stuff:

100: Two guest list spots to any show you want including festivals, and all the above.
200: Come by the studio, hangout for a couple of hours, and even lay down some tambourine!
1000: I come and play a private show for YOU and whoever you want to invite in your apartment, living room, or wherever we can find a piano.

I have a feeling this idea is going to allow him to raise enough, very cool stuff
10:20 AM on 09/30/10
Nick Le
Yeezy taught me.
User Info.
I will be backing this soon. Love this man.
10:21 AM on 09/30/10
TopperHarley
User Info.
I played a few shows with him back in the Waking Ashland days, and besides Mark Rose, he just might be the nicest musician I've ever met.
10:27 AM on 09/30/10
uglystar03
User Info.
there are some really cool things you can purchase. I am contemplating some of this stuff:

100: Two guest list spots to any show you want including festivals, and all the above.
200: Come by the studio, hangout for a couple of hours, and even lay down some tambourine!
1000: I come and play a private show for YOU and whoever you want to invite in your apartment, living room, or wherever we can find a piano.

I have a feeling this idea is going to allow him to raise enough, very cool stuff
At this point, I wish I lived in California so I could take advantage of some of those offers. I want to pledge as much as I can afford simply because I really want this project to get funded.

Oh, and if The Damnwells can raise over $30,000 for their new album using a similar site, I don't see why Jonathan Jones shouldn't be able to do the same.
10:38 AM on 09/30/10
anamericangod
User Info.
Anyone want to split the 1,000 dollar option?
10:39 AM on 09/30/10
DeadPoetic
sr mod
User Info.
I just backed this guy, I loved Waking Ashland. I wish I lived in the US and could take advantage of some of the awesome rewards but I chose the $25 option for the physical copy of the CD.
11:13 AM on 09/30/10
irthesteve
User Info.
if we didn't live on opposite sides of the country
11:21 AM on 09/30/10
A7XXX
Temple Pressure
User Info.
Aww I'm so tempted to do the $200 option. It would be so cool to hang out with him. Will try to support later when I get my paycheck. I hope he doesn't stop making music for We Shot The Moon though. The last record was stellar
12:23 PM on 09/30/10
wstmjon
User Info.
Ahhhh you people are so kind. This whole kickstarter experience has been rad. I can't even express the gratitude I feel. Should I get funded the ways in which I get my music out are endless . I could sell physical copies at cost, I could give away the music at every live show, etc!!! The beauty here is the backers are the "Record Label" who I would be accountable to for the whole album cycle. I get super fired up just thinking about these possibilities. Anyway thank you people for believing in me. You are the difference.

-Jonathan
02:27 PM on 09/30/10
rob_mylo
@itstherobster
User Info.

I would. love this guy to death.
I would love the 200 dollar one as well.
05:29 PM on 09/30/10
hiya
User Info.
def. will be donating as soon as my paycheck goes through.Anything Jonathan does is great, plus the rewards are pretty sweet.
05:53 PM on 09/30/10
hello299
User Info.
I have loved everything Jonathan has written. I'm definitely going to put some money his way.
Options
Related News Stories
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests