AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review

Blank Page Empire - Sinners, Thieves, and... Album Cover

Blank Page Empire - Sinners, Thieves, and...

Reviewed by
Blank Page EmpireSinners, Thieves, and Beggars
Record Label: None
Release Date: May 16, 2010
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
After the break-up of As Cities Burn, it appeared that the Christian ambient/heavy scene would experience a dearth of renewal for some time. However, it appears that Minneapolis, Minnesota’s Blank Page Empire are here to fill this new-found void. Reminiscing both the heavy Son, I Loved You At Your Darkest ACB and their late Hell Or High Water sound, BPE will surely fill the void felt by many. With only their debut record, Sinners, Thieves, and Beggars, Blank Page Empire fully covey the fact that they know exactly what they want to accomplish with their music; the passion of their Christian lyrics, the soaring vocals of Ryan Menghini, and the ambient nature of their sound all embed the true fervor BPE hold within.

While the opening track “The Stargazer” sets up Sinners as an ambient record, the following “The Amazing Two-Headed Man” begins with gut-wrenching screams, exemplifying the unwavering zeal the band possesses. “The Void I Couldn’t Shake” follows this formula, as Menghini hauntingly shouts “and I have been waiting for years..and you have ignored my cries / Their mouths wide like graves / They swallow me whole!” Unexpectedly, “The Vagabond” is an upbeat track breaching the gap toward pop music before switching to guttural screams.

Musically, Blank Page Empire professes cohesive musicianship throughout this record – impressive for only being their debut. The guitarists form around Menghini’s vocals splendidly, as Cameron Bartlett’s drumming keeps the pace and tone of each track. From the atmospheric tracks to the heavy periods of screams, the instrumentation captures each mood precisely. In this way, it’s impossible not to note the effort each member exerts and puts forth to the band, as each track presents the true talent of Blank Page Empire.

Albeit all may seem formulaic and similar thus far, the haunting “The Seas Lonesome Drone” starts softly before building up to haunting group choir chants, while the later “The Idle Hands” proves the grandiose skill of guitarist Nate Washburn as another vocal pinnacle. Similarly, the interlude “The Lighthouse Keeper” features the repetitive chanting of “we’re all broken vessels / there’s no ship to sail” until the final “The Beacon” and “The Conclusion” close Sinners, Thieves, and Beggars. With the former being an atmospheric religious number and the latter channeling TREOS through and through, these final tracks prove that BPE undoubtedly saved the best for last.

The final chanting of “The Conclusion” proves religion to be the prime driving force throughout Sinners, as Blank Page Empire proclaim their beliefs throughout each track; however, they in no way isolate their audience to Christians, as BPE’s music will surely be heard by many. After all, every type of person goes through hardships searching for hope, thus creating a common unity of listeners. Only being a debut album, Sinners, Thieves, and Beggars will take many by surprise, for it is one of the best releases of its kind this year.

Recommended If You LikeAs Cities Burn meets The Receiving End of Sirens

Listen ToThe Amazing Two-Headed Man; The Void I Couldn’t Shake; The Conclusion

Additional Information
Track Listing:
1. The Stargazer
2. The Amazing Two-Headed Man
3. The Void I Couldn’t Shake
4. The Vagabond
5. The Seas Lonesome Drone
6. The Blind Leading The Blind
7. The Idle Hands
8. The Lighthouse Keeper
9. The Beacon
10. The Conclusion

Blank Page Empire are:
Ryan Menghini – Vocals
Nate Washburn – Guitar
Jeremy Bechtold – Bass
Cameron Bartlett – Drums

Myspace

Displaying posts 1 - 13 of 13
02:14 PM on 11/08/10
BIGSALE
i hide behind these ribs of mine
User Info.
i really like these guys, very good live also, love this release too. these guys should be signed 8)
02:15 PM on 11/08/10
BIGSALE
i hide behind these ribs of mine
User Info.
o and very good review
02:33 PM on 11/08/10
Hidden In NJ
Cilvia Demo
User Info.
RIYL of the Year for me! I'm so stoked!!!!
09:19 PM on 11/08/10
iversond
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Great dudes, and great live. I'm pumped for the new EP they'll hopefully have out soon.
11:26 AM on 11/09/10
circletheworld
Old Fears New Frontiers
User Info.
hmm i'll have to take a listen
01:13 PM on 11/09/10
bluecrunchy
To shreds, you say.
User Info.
Must be Further Seems Forever fans...
01:19 PM on 11/09/10
brokenwings
Tear the scene down, start over.
User Info.
"the passion of their Christian lyrics" is sadly a total turn off. i might still check them out though
05:46 PM on 11/09/10
rawspinner
Fight the Cancer
User Info.
Very interested in checking this out.
07:14 PM on 11/09/10
Samprattsap
User Info.
I'm getting a distinct Emery vibe from these guys too. Awesome!
08:05 AM on 11/12/10
Mosherpunk
MosherPunk
User Info.
bad ass bruh
02:28 AM on 12/04/10
Thisguy<<<
User Info.
No Avatar Selected

MUSIC IS A CLIP OFF A NEW SONG CALLED "Torn From The Ribs"
02:21 PM on 12/07/11
Thisguy<<<
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLNal7Gihp8&feature=youtube _gdata_player

Blank page gives us a taste of whats to come!

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos