Password

Album Review

Tonight Tonight - Learning EP Album Cover

Tonight Tonight - Learning EP

Reviewed by
Tonight Tonight - Learning EP
Record Label: N/A
Release Date: 2010

Originality. Musically, you know it when you hear it. It's not always a good thing; in fact, at times, its atrocious (see: Wolf Eyes). But more often than not, we salivate over that which sounds fresh and interesting. And, deserved or not, when we find originality lacking in music, we as listeners allow ourselves to be more critical of the "art" at hand. Frankly, its tough to be original these days, especially when your first desire is simply to play your heart out and say what you want to say. Case in point: Burlington, Ontario's Tonight Tonight, and their debut EP Learning.

It's hard for me to convey the lack of emotion that I felt upon listening to this EP. There's nothing inherently bad about the music that Tonight Tonight play; in fact, in my mind, it leans more towards the "good" end of the spectrum. TT play a soaring brand of melodic rock that, more often than not, tends to just kinda...hover. The band hit their high watermark on "Strangers", with vocalist Colin Lindgren's reasonably formidable pipes reaching for the stars and dynamic instrumentation that feels just like this sort of rock music is supposed to.

Where TT really hit a snag, though, lies in their ability to branch out. While bands like Mae, Acceptance, and Anberlin hit their stride in years past by diversifying their sound and giving their music a layered, atmospheric feel, Tonight Tonight have some maturing to do. After only 6 songs, their brand of rock feels monotonous and overdone, and the lyrics are as tepid and vaguely hopeful as they come. (Stuff about "letting go", "walking away" or "not giving up" tends to get old after, oh, 45 seconds.)

The great thing about Tonight Tonight is that they appear to have loads of potential, and can't really be blamed for playing it overly safe on their debut EP. Lindgren's voice, while not as powerful as some of his contemporaries, seems well suited to the music behind him. There are no blazing guitar riffs or insane drums solos here, but they're not needed; instrumentation is not a weak point of this band. The songwriting and lyrical abilities definitely need some seasoning, but Learning is, at worst, an adequately inspiring listen in an unfortunately overcrowded genre.

Recommended If You Likeheartfelt-but-lame rock; Mae's Singularity; Anberlin's Lost Songs; Saosin's In Search Of Solid Ground

Download: "Strangers"
Listen: myspace.com/wearetonighttonigh
This review is a user submitted review from Here It Goes. You can see all of Here It Goes's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 6 of 6
08:13 AM on 11/21/10
brandon_260
Ah, yes.
User Info.
It is crazy seeing some one write a review for these guys! I remember seeing them when they were Beauti and I thought they were really good with tons of potential. Have yet to listen the stuff since the name change though. Also, technically this isn't their debut since under the name Beauti, they released one full length and an acoustic EP.
07:44 AM on 11/23/10
Here It Goes
Registered Member
User Info.
It is crazy seeing some one write a review for these guys! I remember seeing them when they were Beauti and I thought they were really good with tons of potential. Have yet to listen the stuff since the name change though. Also, technically this isn't their debut since under the name Beauti, they released one full length and an acoustic EP.

Thanks for the info. I couldn't find much at all about these guys online, to be honest. I feel like this was kind of a harsh review, and the music was far from horrible. I just didn't find myself as inspired by the songs as I'm sure the guys who wrote them were. And as good a song as "Strangers" is, during the chorus where he sings "Or letting goooooooooewwwwww", I cringe every time. These guys aren't bad but have a long way to go.
12:09 PM on 11/23/10
brandon_260
Ah, yes.
User Info.
Thanks for the info. I couldn't find much at all about these guys online, to be honest. I feel like this was kind of a harsh review, and the music was far from horrible. I just didn't find myself as inspired by the songs as I'm sure the guys who wrote them were. And as good a song as "Strangers" is, during the chorus where he sings "Or letting goooooooooewwwwww", I cringe every time. These guys aren't bad but have a long way to go.
I 100% agree, I feel their sound isn't overplayed yet either, so they could eventually become the next Secret & Whisper
02:53 PM on 11/23/10
Here It Goes
Registered Member
User Info.
I 100% agree, I feel their sound isn't overplayed yet either, so they could eventually become the next Secret & Whisper

But... that's a horrible thing to aspire to, and yes, their sound is desperately overplayed. ???
02:57 PM on 11/23/10
brandon_260
Ah, yes.
User Info.
But... that's a horrible thing to aspire to, and yes, their sound is desperately overplayed. ???
I like Secret & Whisper :(, and their sound isn't overplayed here yet though

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version