AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Tourmaline - Save Me EP Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.75
Musicianship 8.5
Lyrics 8.5
Production 9.25
Creativity 8.75
Lasting Value 9
Reviewer Tilt 9.25
Final Verdict: 89%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.
Inside AP.net

Tourmaline - Save Me EP

Reviewed by: Gregory Robson (11/17/10)
Tourmaline - Save Me EP
Record Label: Self-released
Release Date: Aug. 2, 2010

After a pronounced hiatus ––– to cope with vocalist Matt Rauch's vocal surgery and the loss of Rauch's father ––– the New Jersey quintet Tourmaline are back, albeit with a new lineup. After the defection of bassist Justin Niemec and drummer
Max Rauch, band founders Ryan Baredes (guitar), Corey Zaloom (keys) and vocalist Rauch immediately went about filling the holes, replacing them with drummer Rob Pratola and bassist Zach Inkley.

The EP opens with the anthemic title track, a soaring and arresting composition that rides the wave of Rauch's powerhouse vocals. Power-packed, driving and undeniably urgent, "Save Me," is the true definition of a band maturing beyond their years and turning in another quality effort.

The scuzzy, bass-heavy "Fat Pig," begins with a thick blues riff, Rauch's impassioned howling and an air-tight rhythm section. Rollicking piano and searing lead guitar at the song's conclusion help make it that much memorable. By the time the song ends, one thing is certain: There just aren't bands these days writing crafty, vintage, throwback rock songs like this. It's just not done, and if it is being done, it's certainly not this inspired, this passionate or this timeless.

The mid-tempo composition "Lions," rounds things out and is arguably one of Tourmaline's finest work to date. That it is also one of Rauch's most personal songs to date is probably no coincidence. As much an amalgamation of soul, R and B and pop, it's as gorgeous, poignant and impacting as anything Rauch has ever put to pen.

Having been avalanched by a lifetime's worth of emotional and physical pain, the fact that this very EP was made is startling. That the EP is this strong only reinforces the resiliency, work ethic and inherent talent of Rauch and his
bandmates. Ostensibly serving as an introduction for the band's new album, the Save Me EP points to a most hopeful future and proof positive that Tourmaline are renewed, reinvigorated and more than ready to start making a national impact.

Recommended If You Like Your guess is as good as mine, but the band is influenced by the likes of The Hold Steady, Led Zeppelin, My Morning Jacket and Bruce Springsteen, so that's not a bad place to start

Find Them Here Bandcamp

Displaying posts 1 - 8 of 8
08:45 AM on 11/17/10
Contortionist
The NJ Underground
User Info.
I vote 99%! awesome EP.
12:53 PM on 11/17/10
jeremyc
it was my only wish to rise
User Info.
Didn't Jason Gleason lend vocals to this EP?
02:48 PM on 11/17/10
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
Didn't Jason Gleason lend vocals to this EP?
I think so. I wasn't sure of it, so I didn't include it.
08:09 PM on 11/17/10
updownleftright
grant.
User Info.
holy shit. I seriously listened to this band like.... six years ago. now i have to check it.
10:27 PM on 11/17/10
tonighttonight0
Rode the El Niño
User Info.
I remember downloading an ep of theirs a few years ago off here. I should really check this one out from the looks of this review.
11:18 PM on 11/17/10
Matthew Tsai
Born and raised
User Info.
I think so. I wasn't sure of it, so I didn't include it.
I love your avatar. Really digging that album.
04:32 AM on 11/18/10
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
I love your avatar. Really digging that album.
The man is a beast. Who knew he had this up his sleeve the entire time?
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums